Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

acid folk 2017

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • acid folk 2017

    what happened to all the folk?
    any new bands come out recently that fit into this genre? after about 2010 I got into other stuff so didn't follow anything new coming out and all the bands I did like stopped releasing.

    any older discoveries?
    I'm currently thinning out my Folk section. this always happens. thin out the section, realise its full of brilliant music. buy more of it
    instagram.com/vinylhoard

  • #2
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JB9zXoOBpOI
    I have been listening to the new Leyla McCalla record recently... Not necessarily 'acid' folk, but its a solid listen
    the monkey speaks his mind

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by admcc77 View Post
      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JB9zXoOBpOI
      I have been listening to the new Leyla McCalla record recently... Not necessarily 'acid' folk, but its a solid listen
      Ooh thats awesome bagged. Thanks admcc77

      I cant get enough of "This is the kit" at the moment!


      Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

      Comment


      • #4
        not that I know if its folk or acid folk. I dont really do genres very well. New album out now but not got it.
        Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

        Comment


        • #5
          Ryan Boldt "Broadside Ballads" is a pretty perfect folk album IMO. All traditional (or very well known like "The Auld Triangle"), really delicate backing. Great home-recording type ambience (bird calls, think there's a storm in the background at one point)

          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZGheqcnLo8

          Nothing surprising in song choice (he's clearly a fan of Shirley Collins and Bert Jansch) but just really well done.

          The Kacy & Clayton "Strange Country" on the same label is also excellent, and more interesting song choices

          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zH2BmWfWWE




          Comment


          • #6
            A few other things I've liked from the past few years:

            Itasca - Unmoored By The Wind (female voice and guitar)
            Sharron Kraus - The Woody Nightshade
            Sharron Kraus - Friends and Enemies; Lovers and Strangers (the Claypipe one)
            Michael Tanner - e.g. Suite for Psaltery and Dulcimer (drone-y stuff)
            Ryley Walker - Primrose Green
            The Left Outsides - Shape Of Things To Come (ex 18th Day of May, bit more jangly indie-ish)

            CD only:
            You Are Wolf - Hawk To The Hunting Gone
            Sharron Kraus - Right Wantonly A-Mumming
            Rapunzel & Sedayne - Songs From The Barley Temple
            Trimdon Grange Explosion
            The Woodbine & Ivy Band

            and others, need to have a think

            Comment


            • #7
              ace. ill check these out. thanks
              instagram.com/vinylhoard

              Comment


              • #8
                If you haven't been looking since 2010 maybe you're not aware of Ill Wicker.

                "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Forthcoming Lords of Thyme on Sunstone sounds amazing . Test press is on constant rotation ... Traditional English folk with an Acidic aftertaste
                  Rockwell
                  Banned (DJ Anchovy)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Sie-Fly View Post
                    Forthcoming Lords of Thyme on Sunstone sounds amazing . Test press is on constant rotation ... Traditional English folk with an Acidic aftertaste
                    About bloomin' time, too.
                    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      This should fit the bill... Released in 2015, the band played a few UK dates this year - saw the London gig, it was absolutely mind-blowingly good
                       
                      OK: ready; let's do it ...

                      >>> Hobbies Of Today - RU12 EP: Unreleased South Yorkshire Post-Glam/Proto-Punk from 1977 <<<

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Just ordered that 'Ryley Walker' album, it was a cheap deal and probably a shop return but hopefully alright. I couldn't resist after checking out the YouTube clips as he's a very good player backed by a superb set of musicians. First impressions is he sounds like he wants to be John Martyn and a host of other 1970's UK folk people but there is nothing wrong with that as he sounds like he makes a good stab of it. Looking forward to it.

                        Anything else stand out in his discography for you? It very much sounds like he changes his backing band and sound about with each of his records.

                        Originally posted by bongolia View Post
                        A few other things I've liked from the past few years:

                        Itasca - Unmoored By The Wind (female voice and guitar)
                        Sharron Kraus - The Woody Nightshade
                        Sharron Kraus - Friends and Enemies; Lovers and Strangers (the Claypipe one)
                        Michael Tanner - e.g. Suite for Psaltery and Dulcimer (drone-y stuff)
                        Ryley Walker - Primrose Green
                        The Left Outsides - Shape Of Things To Come (ex 18th Day of May, bit more jangly indie-ish)

                        CD only:
                        You Are Wolf - Hawk To The Hunting Gone
                        Sharron Kraus - Right Wantonly A-Mumming
                        Rapunzel & Sedayne - Songs From The Barley Temple
                        Trimdon Grange Explosion
                        The Woodbine & Ivy Band

                        and others, need to have a think
                        Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

                        Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

                        Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

                        Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by e3sa934 View Post
                          This should fit the bill... Released in 2015, the band played a few UK dates this year - saw the London gig, it was absolutely mind-blowingly good
                          Looks like both pressings are sold out, but he's put the digital download on Bandcamp as 'name your price' https://constantinedayoflight.bandca...m/day-of-light
                          OK: ready; let's do it ...

                          >>> Hobbies Of Today - RU12 EP: Unreleased South Yorkshire Post-Glam/Proto-Punk from 1977 <<<

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Chanced across the splendid Mister Monday & Other Songs for the Teaching of English - by the Solid British Hat Band in a bunch of LPs recently and love the slightly acidy take on popular folk, coupled with songs that help students practice their English (Present Continuous Baby etc). Sometimes it's a hunch that the date, a song title or two and the look of the cover are going to deliver the goods, and this one does in spades. Charming stuff - and with Pentangle's Terry Cox on drums, too.

                            This is the first lp of (Ken Wilson )Solid Britsh Hat band from 1971. you can find the second lp here . Track List A1.PRESENT CONTINUOU...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by e3sa934 View Post

                              Looks like both pressings are sold out, but he's put the digital download on Bandcamp as 'name your price' https://constantinedayoflight.bandca...m/day-of-light
                              Apparently there are available copies online (ahem, discogs..) going for normal prices I'm not selling this on discogs, just checked out of curiosity. Lovely record in any case.
                              Everything in Greece is arpa kolla

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X