Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pitch
    replied
    Another one..... new reissue of 'The Thing' soundtrack - Morricone - on Waxwork Records. Ordered in February - and only just arrived. Side 1 is mispressed and off-centre. So sending straight back.

Leave a comment:

• cratedigger
    replied
    Got this off a Facebook group last week, thought price was very reasonable but what do you know, played horribly off centre.
    As the damage was not that bad, and I'd never seen it in the wild before I didn't bother to contact the seller. At least I had the sleeve.

Must have had a few karma points racked up, cos this weekend I found a nice sleeveless copy at a flea market, 50p.

Leave a comment:

• cratedigger
    replied
    Maybe not strictly off centre but I had an annoying problem with a 45 that looks alright, can't see any edge warp or anything strange, but at a certain place along the disk the needle just flinches and skips, throughout the record, not just in one spot. As if it was deformed in some way but still flat.

Leave a comment:

• medlar
    replied
    I find those Jamaican 45s where one side plays reasonably straight and the other off centred disconcerting. How can that be possible?

Leave a comment:

• sammybee
    replied
    On topic-what about baggy/enlarged holes?My copy of group homes classic debut plays fine, but if queing it up or trying to cut it slips everywhere, as the hole is a bit big and/or off centre. I remedied this by placing some fine paper around the spindle,like those stationary circles you get to fix hole punched documents near their binding.

Leave a comment:

• stylesforfree
    replied
    Originally posted by LDJB View Post
    I got a 45 recently that was so off centre that when played it sounds like circus music. Irritating and amusing all at the same time!
    Can you please share a clip of this 45. I need to be amused......I had a korean one tracker, soundtrack, with one hellaciously funky banger on it, the otherside was off center pretty bad. Needless to say I traded it. heh

Leave a comment:

• SirSlim
    replied
    Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
    I've got an adapter to play off-centred singles- essential for Jamaican pressed records. Some turntables have a removable spindle but, in general, yes off-centre records are a pain in the fundament. With an LP it tends to get a lot worse closer to the centre.
    Indeed - but all records can be affected old and new - it's the thing I check first when putting a new acquisition onto the deck for the first time...

The first record I ever recall hearing widely off centre was my mum's purchase of Sandie Shaw's "puppet on a string" - even more annnoying with fluctuating pitch...
    Last edited by SirSlim; 18-07-2017, 02:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• Milesago
    replied
    Surely off centre pressings are easy to fix?
    I haven't noticed a sudden increase.

A NON/Smegma split single on Mute from 1980 had an extra spindle hole for that off centre experience.

Find a NON + Smegma - Smegma + NON first pressing or reissue. Complete your NON + Smegma collection. Shop Vinyl and CDs.

Leave a comment:

• Shere Khan
    replied
    I've got an adapter to play off-centred singles- essential for Jamaican pressed records. Some turntables have a removable spindle but, in general, yes off-centre records are a pain in the fundament. With an LP it tends to get a lot worse closer to the centre.

Leave a comment:

• Davedave
    replied
    The only off centre record worth having https://www.discogs.com/Janek-Schaef...release/117201

Leave a comment:

• pitch
    replied
    So - do you attempt to fix them though? Circular file - enlarge hole - align on turntable with another 45 / LP on top? Or just not bother?

Leave a comment:

• LDJB
    replied
    I got a 45 recently that was so off centre that when played it sounds like circus music. Irritating and amusing all at the same time!

Leave a comment:

• cratedigger
    replied
    I have the same feeling, I think I've had more off-centre records the last year than previously combined. I guess these records keep circulating through non-personal deals, that is, when the buyer and seller are unlikely to be in contact again. Usually bought cheap, sometimes too good to be true, which it was. I never got one at a price high enough to warrant returning it without looking like a tightwad.

I keep them to the side, but I suspect less scrupolous people slip them into cheap bins or trade them into stores which do not test play them because they generally look minty.

Leave a comment:

• Turboellis
    replied
    All off-centre rekkids MUST BE DESTROYED RIGHT NOW!

Actually, I think I've only ever had a couple. Those pesky defectives must be seeking you out!

Turbo

Leave a comment:

• pitch
    started a topic Off centred records

Off centred records

I'm finding more and more records coming into (or already residing in) my collection are off-centred. Not just old vinyl, but new releases too. I'm wondering if this is a shared problem? I was beginning to think it's the one fault with a record than can be overlooked when reselling, or sending to a charity shop..... If these records are simply recycled without anyone removing them they'll keep circulating. What do you do about it? I've corrected a few by enlarging the hole (obviously the jukebox singles are easier to rectify with a bit of realignment) - but this is a fairly laborious task..... Guess it's the only answer though. When do people do the decent thing and remove records from circulation? I always find it tough throwing them in the bin!
Working...
X