Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active speaker recommendations?

Hello there,

This is a follow-up thread on my earlier question about amplifiers (for link, see bottom of post, apparently the forum engine likes it like that).

Is it a good idea to get active speakers (with an integrated amplifier) instead of amplifier + speakers? I haven't even played my vinyl records yet, and I'm in way over my head with this hi-fi thing, neither do I want to spend hundreds of euros on amplifier + speakers. What would you recommend? I plan on getting a Pro-ject RPM 1.3 Genie turntable, as recommended by a DJ friend:

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Ject-RM-1.../dp/B00B5UG01M

You can also recommend other solutions. The whole set is mainly for listening to 1960s and 1970s orchestral pop and recreating sounds of that era, in case that should have to be taken into account.

Thanks.
    Easy Sounds channel
    Easy Sounds blog

You're going to need something with a phono pre-amp (phono stage). If you wanted to use active speakers you could use a DJ mixer or a standalone phono pre-amp.

Nice mid-range hi-fi can be found pretty cheap now so I'd be inclined to find a nice pair of speakers you like and just get a NAD 3010, Cyrus 1 or some amp like that with a phono input.

Comment

Maybe I get myself some guide first, because I'm unfamiliar with most terms here... It sounds a bit like there are better choices to be made, even in mid-range, if you buy speakers and amps separately?
      Easy Sounds channel
      Easy Sounds blog

Comment

This site is a great place for any turntable related info; https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/index.php
        "Just done an hour solid of listening to the Beatles"

Comment

Originally posted by Diskos View Post
          Hello there,

This is a follow-up thread on my earlier question about amplifiers (for link, see bottom of post, apparently the forum engine likes it like that).

Is it a good idea to get active speakers (with an integrated amplifier) instead of amplifier + speakers?
          In a word: No.
          When you get two (or more) components in one box - In this case, an amp and speaker - when one part dies, you lose the lot.
          They may look like good value initially, but in the long term no, as you'll have two pieces of equipment to replace instead of one.
          Plus there's the issue of a phono pre-amp as mentioned above.

Hifi amplifiers (with inbult phono preamp) from the major japanese brands of the 70s and 80s can be had for well under 100 notes and will likely outlive any of the chinese made junk available today for more money. Used speakers are also easy to come by, be sure to give them a visual inspection to check that any foam surrounds on the cones has not gone flaky with age.

I would take a look at cash converter type places or local sellers on ebay - basically anywhere you can try the gear out before handing over cash.

"THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

Comment

I agree with the above - getting decent separates secondhand isn't difficult, and you'll have a infinitely better setup.

Having said that, Roberts have just announced this - turntable with built in preamp. Might be worth a look.

https://www.robertsradio.com/uk/prod...t100-turntable

Comment

I've set up a few friends with "a hi-fi stack" for listening to their new found vynyllylys (*shudder*) - but anyway, second-hand is usually the way to go. I normally look on eBay for sellers local to me where I can pop round to check the equipment, I've not had to wait long each time to get an amp, speakers, or CD player, always under £100 each The record deck itself is usually the component hardest to source, but you've got a decent one of those already!

You seem to be over-worrying about it :-) Look for something from the late 70s or 80s, ask the seller to show it working so you can hear it, you'll be fine! Good luck :-)

Comment

i have a pair of these in the studio room and a pair with the record player

they sound really clear, ive been re listening to old albums, its like hearing them for the first time.
                instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Working...
                X