The JELLIES - Jive Baby On A Saturday Night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The JELLIES - Jive Baby On A Saturday Night

I'm lost on this one ... would someone like to try to edjumicate me?
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

They are doing okay. They are doing alright.
    All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Minimal post-punk dub disco innit?

Comment

A pal of mine was looking for the Trunk 12" reissue of this ... responded to an Amazon.co.uk ad for a cheap copy a year or so ago ... and was sent on OG 7"
        OK: ready; let's do it ...

>>> Hobbies Of Today - RU12 EP: Unreleased South Yorkshire Post-Glam/Proto-Punk from 1977 <<<

Comment

The 'Jive' reference in the title I find reminiscent of the Silicon Teens - who also released numerous covers of 50's rock 'n' roll in a bleepy ironic fashion at around the same time.

Mind you it ain't dubby and nor is it disco ...

Comment

Originally posted by e3sa934 View Post
            A pal of mine was looking for the Trunk 12" reissue of this ... responded to an Amazon.co.uk ad for a cheap copy a year or so ago ... and was sent on OG 7"
            did he send it back?
            All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Originally posted by Cacapo View Post

did he send it back?
              no, and neither did he fancy doing a trade for my Trunk 12
              OK: ready; let's do it ...

>>> Hobbies Of Today - RU12 EP: Unreleased South Yorkshire Post-Glam/Proto-Punk from 1977 <<<

Comment

Originally posted by Turboellis View Post
                I'm lost on this one ... would someone like to try to edjumicate me?
                Why are you lost?

You can't find one? You don't like it? You like it but can't describe it?

I'm lost on what reply you are looking for.
                it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
                take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

Originally posted by Turboellis View Post
                  would someone like to try to edjumicate me?
                  Okay. It's an amazingly funky slice of minimal-synth post-punk grooviness from 1981 which Thurston Moore apparently played ten times in a row on the radio, after finding it in New York. Copies made their way to the 99 Records store in NYC, which makes sense since it recalls the naive funkiness of ESG, to my ears. But copies barely made it beyond Rough Trade in London and most allegedly ended up in landfill guaranteeing its future rarity. Glasgow based DJ Twitch (Optimo) re-edited the track in 2008 to put on a 12", basically so he would be able to play it out since he didn't own a copy. The band heard this version and got in touch with him - to offer him a copy of the single, much to his relief. In 2010 Trunk Records re-issued the track on 12" single, which duly became a collectors item in its own right, so Jonny re-pressed it in 2017 due to demand.

I played it last Sunday (despite being aware it wasn't actually a Saturday night) at The Poetry Club in Glasgow, at the launch of "Oyster" a collection of prose by Neu Reekie poet Michael Pedersen. Whisky Stephen immediately whisked out his phone to add it to his Discogs wants list, but it turned out it was already on it...
                  Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Interesting story but the choon didn't bite me. Not yet anyway.

Comment

check your pulse, you might be dead.
                      All the Wolpertingers

Comment

bah, humbug ...

Comment

I appear to have left it too late to get a copy of this...again. Anyone holding spares?
                          "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Can't get enough of this, it's soooo good, can't imagine anyone on here not digging it.
                            Gonna have to put not owing one right.
                            Peel must have played this...?

Comment

Working...
                            X