No announcement yet.

ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve just had yet another bad eBay experience (I really should call it a day but my vinyl addiction won’t let me).

I won an auction the other day for a record in the “Blues Masterworks Triple Play Series”. The series is called the “Triple Play” because each set consists of vinyl (double) + compact disc of all tracks + download code. I believe these retailed for about £25-30 originally. Anyway I win the auction at just £5 + postage. Got myself a bargain I think.

A few days later it arrives in the post covered in just a flimsy wrap consisting of 3 or 4 previously used envelopes sellotaped together. So I unwrap it to find that the corners of the corner had been bashed in transit. On opening the gatefold sleeve I discover the CD is missing. The records look in good shape, no complaint there but anyway I message the seller to say his packaging was inadequate and that the cover is bashed and the CD is missing. His reply? “You got a bargain, I paid £30 for it originally and anyway I never specifically stated it included the cd”. His listing made no mention of the fact the cd was missing!

So I thought can’t be arsed arguing with this joker and I gave him negative feedback on the basis his listing was misleading, his packaging was an amateurish mess and he didn’t even have the decency to apologise. Then I finally sit down to play the vinyl only to discover that one of the records is by a completely different artist!!

Comment

Originally posted by BoogieWithTheHook View Post
      I’ve just had yet another bad eBay experience (I really should call it a day but my vinyl addiction won’t let me).

I won an auction the other day for a record in the “Blues Masterworks Triple Play Series”. The series is called the “Triple Play” because each set consists of vinyl (double) + compact disc of all tracks + download code. I believe these retailed for about £25-30 originally. Anyway I win the auction at just £5 + postage. Got myself a bargain I think.

A few days later it arrives in the post covered in just a flimsy wrap consisting of 3 or 4 previously used envelopes sellotaped together. So I unwrap it to find that the corners of the corner had been bashed in transit. On opening the gatefold sleeve I discover the CD is missing. The records look in good shape, no complaint there but anyway I message the seller to say his packaging was inadequate and that the cover is bashed and the CD is missing. His reply? “You got a bargain, I paid £30 for it originally and anyway I never specifically stated it included the cd”. His listing made no mention of the fact the cd was missing!

So I thought can’t be arsed arguing with this joker and I gave him negative feedback on the basis his listing was misleading, his packaging was an amateurish mess and he didn’t even have the decency to apologise. Then I finally sit down to play the vinyl only to discover that one of the records is by a completely different artist!!
      Yes, but did he specifically state that the artist on the records would match the artist on the sleeve.
      "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

I stopped using ebay ages ago precisely because of problems like this. If you're willing to pursue it, you will almost certainly get your money back from Paypal (and the seller will have to pay return postage if he wants the item back), but I found the whole process draining and switched to discogs. There are plenty of bad sellers there too, but feedback is public, and because it's not an auction site you don't get that "you got it cheap, what are you complaining about" nonsense.

Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

The seller had 100% positive feedback but from only 44 transactions. After I gave him negative feedback his percentage dropped down to 94% or thereabouts. My point is that once I’ve got my refund, my negative feedback will, as I understand it, be expunged and he’ll be back to 100%. This makes a mockery of the feedback system. The negative feedback should still count even after a refund - so that prospective buyers can make an informed judgement of a seller’s reliability before they buy.

In future I think I’ll avoid sellers with a small sales history even if their feedback is 100% positive.

Comment

Around november last year I bought a piece of audio equipment from a seller in Scotland. At the end of the year I realized while checking my purchases records that it had never arrived. Contacted seller and he didn't want to know, as more then 30 days time had gone by. Fortunately - or so I thought - there was a tracking number issued, this enabled me to check the shipping website and the item was last recorded at a depot some 30 miles away, status 'delayed'.

I emailed them and explained that I still hadn't got it and would even be prepared to pick it up from the depot in person if necessary. They said after looking into it that they no longer knew where it was and declared it lost. So back to ebay. They wouldn't accept any responsibility and suggested trying paypal. This was always something I'd considered but to be honest it wasn't the small financial cost, it was the rare item that I wanted - as I am sure many of us have been in this situation with records. However, I looked on line yesterday and lo and behold the item came up, listed this time by a midlands seller. The photos of that listing were compared to those I had downloaded from the original sale, and showed that the serial number was the same and the item was definitely the one I had bought and paid for. The pictures were new/different though, they hadn't been copied from the first sale page.

Now, what to do? Someone has clearly pulled a fast one, but was it the original seller, the shipping company, ebay, or the other seller who now has it listed? Ebays site says that they cannot take action over stolen items unless police have been contacted first. ActionFraud seems to be site to use, but I wouldn't know where to start as concerns giving a 'suspect'. Were it simply a matter of the money I would have just gone to paypal, but it's the equipment I want! If anyone has had similar experiences I'd appreciate any suggestions.
            "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

Comment

Originally posted by eclectiktronik View Post
              Around november last year I bought a piece of audio equipment from a seller in Scotland. At the end of the year I realized while checking my purchases records that it had never arrived. Contacted seller and he didn't want to know, as more then 30 days time had gone by. Fortunately - or so I thought - there was a tracking number issued, this enabled me to check the shipping website and the item was last recorded at a depot some 30 miles away, status 'delayed'.

I emailed them and explained that I still hadn't got it and would even be prepared to pick it up from the depot in person if necessary. They said after looking into it that they no longer knew where it was and declared it lost. So back to ebay. They wouldn't accept any responsibility and suggested trying paypal. This was always something I'd considered but to be honest it wasn't the small financial cost, it was the rare item that I wanted - as I am sure many of us have been in this situation with records. However, I looked on line yesterday and lo and behold the item came up, listed this time by a midlands seller. The photos of that listing were compared to those I had downloaded from the original sale, and showed that the serial number was the same and the item was definitely the one I had bought and paid for. The pictures were new/different though, they hadn't been copied from the first sale page.

Now, what to do? Someone has clearly pulled a fast one, but was it the original seller, the shipping company, ebay, or the other seller who now has it listed? Ebays site says that they cannot take action over stolen items unless police have been contacted first. ActionFraud seems to be site to use, but I wouldn't know where to start as concerns giving a 'suspect'. Were it simply a matter of the money I would have just gone to paypal, but it's the equipment I want! If anyone has had similar experiences I'd appreciate any suggestions.
              This may not be as suspect as you assume. When things get lost in the post or are unclaimed from postal depots they eventually find their way to auctions or are sold to 'pickers' who will then sell them on or may eBay them themselves.

The fact that the new seller has displayed the serial number means that they're probably unaware of the history of the item and also suggests that they've acquired it through legitimate means.

The fault here seems to be with the shipping company not having let you know that they had the item ready for you to collect back when they did have it. I'd be chasing them if I were you.

WF

Comment

Originally posted by Willy-Fogg View Post

The fault here seems to be with the shipping company not having let you know that they had the item ready for you to collect back when they did have it. I'd be chasing them if I were you.WF
                Thanks for that WF. Yes, I think the blame lies mainly with the shipping company, after all the parcel was acknowledged to have been in their depot and they were the ones who 'lost' it. Will post a follow up as soon as any progress is made, though I'm not hopeful.

"THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

Comment

Working...
                X