Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sainsbury’s Own Label vinyl range

https://www.about.sainsburys.co.uk/n...-11-2017-vinyl

The 1st 2 releases look amazingly bland, but it doesn't matter because people don't play records these days, they just look at them ...

Turbo
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

I’m a fan of the artwork already.
    new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Ohhh Bob Stanley compiled it. He's done some good ones but equally some that weren't to my taste.
      Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

I like the look of them, especially the West coast one. A few big dumb classics but also plenty of obscurish bits I don't know. Covers are lovely, too.
        Have to say, for supermarket product I think Bob's done a rather good job. But at £18 each I'm not sure they're going to sell trollyloads.

Comment

At 10 tracks a side the fidelity isn't going to be up to much is it? Remember Ktel? Played on a Crossley (in the shopping basket at the same time?) There would be zero bass.

Comment

Ah just noticed they are double albums. Ignore me.

Comment

The covers looks pretty nice I reckon. I'm more of a down the asdas man so will have to make a special journey to a posher supermarket.
              A fun podcast for fans of music and talking.
              https://soundcloud.com/user-617859876

@TwoRotters

Comment

As you would expect from a supermarket chain, Sainsburys are mostly selling bog-standard reissues of "classic" albums. But I have noticed they've slipped out a few limited edition "exclusive to Sainsburys" coloured vinyl pressings e.g. the Marc Bolan/T-Rex Slider (180g silver). There was also a red vinyl of Pretty Things' S.F. Sorrow. Doubtless there were other exclusives i've missed. I did hear a conversation in a record shop the other day about some collector/flipper who had interrogated Sainsburys staff as to what time and day these "exclusive" pressings were coming in and then bought them all up! Probably the same kind of guy who starts queuing outside record stores at 3 a.m. on RSD.

Personally I think it's great that vinyl is back in some supermarkets. I never thought I'd see the day again. At least they are putting some effort into their vinyl promotion which, even if you hate the big corporates, helps keep the vinyl format alive.

Having said that I have to say I was a bit under-whelmed by those Bob Stanley compilations. Maybe I'm expecting too much from a supermarket chain.

Comment

It seems unlikely a supermarket is ever going to stock a record I'd want to buy and I'm not sure I'd want to buy one from a supermarket anyway. I'd rather give my money to people who have to make a living selling records. I do like Bob Stanley, though. I think he's done a lot of good stuff.
                  "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Surely missed a trick not going down the Taste the difference, So organic, Be Good To Yourselfand Basics ranges???. There's also

Which is *almost* an in-house jazz and improv label.
                    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

The designs of the Bob Stanley comps "influenced" by previous vintage Sainsburys packaging design:

http://fuel-design.com/publishing/own-label/

Comment

I was in Sainsbury's yesterday and saw they had Bowie's Changes Two album. I remembered reading only the night before that, unlike the Changes One album where you could only tell if you had the clear vinyl version by shining an iPhone through the sleeve (or a torch, if you're not up on your modern tech and happened to have one about your person (doesn't everyone?)), it was a lot harder to tell if you had the blue vinyl version but someone had worked out there was a 10gm weight difference between the black and blue vinyl. I briefly toyed with the idea of taking all four copies to the deli counter and asking them to weigh them for me, but then I couldn't remember which weight meant it was blue vinyl. So I did eeny meeny miney mo and picked one. Got it home and carefully slit open the shrinkwrap, vaguely noting that it wasn't sealed right up to the top, and slid it out to check - black vinyl. Rats! It was then I looked at the shrinkwrap more closely and realised it had been very carefully resealed with a piece of sellotape, but as the shrink had pulled back slighty when first opened the sellotape was now sticking to the actual sleeve right along the opening edge. So some crafty so-and-so had bought it, found it was black vinyl and had either resealed it themselves or taken it back and Sainsbury's had done it instead. Due to an incident the day before with an electric grass trimmer which had worked for about 0.5 of a second I was in no mood for any nonsense and took it straight back. The surly young girl at the customer service desk told me to go and fetch another one and they would exchange it. Carefully weighed up the remaining three copies - even more carefully checking the shrink this time - and took it back to the counter. She literally snatched it out of my hand to scan it, leading me to fear for a creased corner where she now grasped it, but it survived intact. Got home, got my craft knife out again and carefully opened the shrink. Bingo! Blue vinyl. Not that that mattered to me in the slightest, of course...

North of the River Cole

Comment

Originally posted by RedX View Post
                          I was in Sainsbury's yesterday and saw they had Bowie's Changes Two album. I remembered reading only the night before that, unlike the Changes One album where you could only tell if you had the clear vinyl version by shining an iPhone through the sleeve (or a torch, if you're not up on your modern tech and happened to have one about your person (doesn't everyone?)), it was a lot harder to tell if you had the blue vinyl version but someone had worked out there was a 10gm weight difference between the black and blue vinyl. I briefly toyed with the idea of taking all four copies to the deli counter and asking them to weigh them for me, but then I couldn't remember which weight meant it was blue vinyl. So I did eeny meeny miney mo and picked one. Got it home and carefully slit open the shrinkwrap, vaguely noting that it wasn't sealed right up to the top, and slid it out to check - black vinyl. Rats! It was then I looked at the shrinkwrap more closely and realised it had been very carefully resealed with a piece of sellotape, but as the shrink had pulled back slighty when first opened the sellotape was now sticking to the actual sleeve right along the opening edge. So some crafty so-and-so had bought it, found it was black vinyl and had either resealed it themselves or taken it back and Sainsbury's had done it instead. Due to an incident the day before with an electric grass trimmer which had worked for about 0.5 of a second I was in no mood for any nonsense and took it straight back. The surly young girl at the customer service desk told me to go and fetch another one and they would exchange it. Carefully weighed up the remaining three copies - even more carefully checking the shrink this time - and took it back to the counter. She literally snatched it out of my hand to scan it, leading me to fear for a creased corner where she now grasped it, but it survived intact. Got home, got my craft knife out again and carefully opened the shrink. Bingo! Blue vinyl. Not that that mattered to me in the slightest, of course...

That cracked me up!

WF

Comment

But what happened to the grass trimmer? You can't leave us hanging on like that!
                            "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Originally posted by RedX View Post

Good work, RedX, but what you should have done, of course, is carefully weigh the black vinyl version before storming back and exchanging it.
                              Then you could have weighed the new record, noted the 10g difference, and realised you are in possession of a much more valuable SEALED MINT BLUE VINYL copy, although explaining quite how you know it's blue to prospective buyers could be complicated.
                              Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X