When is a DJ not a DJ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When is a DJ not a DJ?

So a few months ago I resigned from my last regular paid DJ gig.

So does that make me an ex-DJ or a resting DJ?

It's always been a rather odd thing to do - playing records to a room full of strangers but I've rather enjoyed it.

So - who is still "playing out"?

Is DJing stil a thing?

Why am I asking so many questions?

They say in a large city like London you're never more than five feet from a DJ. So its still a thing alright.
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

You resigned; that sounds serious. Was it a matter of principal? "What do you mean the dub on the 1973 blue labelled 'Observer' press is superior to that on the 1975 'Pigeon' issue! You're talking out of your arse. I resign! Was it something like that?
      "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
        You resigned; that sounds serious. Was it a matter of principal? "What do you mean the dub on the 1973 blue labelled 'Observer' press is superior to that on the 1975 'Pigeon' issue! You're talking out of your arse. I resign! Was it something like that?

Comment

Originally posted by SirSlim View Post
          So a few months ago I resigned from my last regular paid DJ gig.

So does that make me an ex-DJ or a resting DJ?
          You're still a DJ. I haven't played out for 12 years and still reckon I'm a DJ.
          I still buy records I'll never play out because they'd sound great if I played them out. It's more than that, the whole way you listen to and buy stuff slowly changes once you stop, but never goes away.
          The one thing I really miss is hearing my favourite tunes playing through a big system to a room full of people, making the dust in the air tremble.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SirSlim View Post
            I'm sorry. I can't take Patrick's angry resignation seriously at all in that STUPID car.

"I've had ENOUGH (Slams table, breaks cup) You can stick your job UP YOUR ARSE!"
            "OK, mate, I get the message. You'd better be off in your little yellow go-kart, then."
            Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

The answer might be more apparent if you explain why you resigned...
              In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Are/were you a DJ or are/were you a collector who gets/got to play your records in public?
                new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Originally posted by Col Wolfe View Post
                  Are/were you a DJ or are/were you a collector who gets/got to play your records in public?
                  That question is making my brain hurt a little Col

Just to be serious for a moment - the resignation was totally amicable (the owner of the venue is a good friend) despite my "Prisoner" reference. There were a number of reasons for it - the main one being I missed playing for a crowd/dancers - and this gig was a warm up session which had gradually become devoid of punters to "warm" up - it didn't seem right to keep on taking his money for keeping the bar staff (and myself) entertained.

So - who is still playing out regularly?

Comment

Is being a DJ to do with that being your main occupation, having a regular gig (s), having got a distinction in the "DJing for dummies" exam, or just turning up and playing music which makes people want to dance (or not)? Or just calling yourself one? There is obviously a distinction which was mooted at above. What makes one? I hasten to add, I am not one.
                    Everyone tear down your own little wall
                    That keeps you from being a part of it all
                    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                    You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

I guess you become a DJ when you actually get paid for it. I'm still DJing at the age of 48 with a regular bar gig, the odd club gig and private parties when asked. DJ'd on Friday night and got a great response - which is what keeps me doing it ..... it's certainly not the untold riches that await anyone playing old psych and soul 7"s.

It's never great to get home after a full day's work, eat some takeaway rubbish, sort my records out and head out for a 4hr set - but once the sounds start flowing, I still really enjoy it.

Plus as long as people come up with that feverish look in their eye demanding to know what a particular tune is, then I know it's been worthwhile.
                      "Here comes the Fun Cooker!!"

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
                        Is being a DJ to do with that being your main occupation, having a regular gig (s), having got a distinction in the "DJing for dummies" exam, or just turning up and playing music which makes people want to dance (or not)? Or just calling yourself one? There is obviously a distinction which was mooted at above. What makes one? I hasten to add, I am not one.
                        While my record collection is obviously mainly composed of treasured, sought-after obscurities that I played in hi-fidelity to educate and enlighten people, I also own copies of La Macarena by Los del Rio (Bayside Boys Mix), Mr Bob Dobolina by Del the Funkee Homosapien and at least one hen-night comp with Lady Marmalade, Gloria Gaynor etc which remind me that it was not all as David Mancuso at the Loft as I like to remember.
                        Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Interesting thread this one! I finished the last of my residences playing in a bar that I'd held for over 10 years a couple of years ago. Impending fatherhood and the thought of going through the motions with it "playing the hits" for cash just didn't appeal anymore, where I used to play had totally changed from being a music focused place to wanting lowest common denominator etc.

I'd often think "am I still a DJ?" Maybe I could get back into it after a while, that it was just a matter of time, and a couple of months ago I was offered a Friday night somewhere local to me, no heading into the city centre. Yet the run up to it just brought up loads feelings of anxiety, and when I got there and as I was setting up I was hit with a few requests I just thought this isn't for me anymore, certainly not the glorified jukebox element of it.

The thing is DJing was something that paid really well for a long time, a lot of the great records I have I only have because of doing those soul destroying residencies, nightmare mad Friday or Bank holiday gigs.

But I've worked out I'm happier without that in my life. Hardly ever drink these days, whereas the only way I could get through playing before was matching the Friday/Sat night revellers drink for drink.

Comment

The jukebox compariosn isn't relevant anymore. Now it's playlist. Which is worse.
                            LOST SOUNDTRACKS Mixtape

HOLDBAR HIP HOP Podcast

BUSYBODY FILMS

Comment

Originally posted by Headless mermaid View Post
                              The jukebox compariosn isn't relevant anymore. Now it's playlist. Which is worse.
                              Indeed, so many supposed Music led bars all using Spotify to play all their music instead of paying DJs.

Comment

Working...
                              X