REPORT FOR IMPORT DUTY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REPORT FOR IMPORT DUTY

so, many of us would have worked out that in order to avoid paying costly import duty on USA / JAPANESE LPs bought on-line you kindly ask the eBay (or wherever) seller to write on the customs forms "Old LP, value $10". This has saved me a fortune over the years, but has also cost me, having also come across retailers that won't lie, and getting stung with £20/ £40 import charges by the UK postie (obo UK Customs) before said parcel is being handed over. Well this is all no more, as eBay seems to have instigated a system whereby you pay the import duties at point of purchase. Bastards. This has probably alreadly been covered here, but just in case...

Yours slightly pissed off having just had to pay £14 import charges on top of £13 postage from the USA.

Senor Trunk
    Tune in to OST on Resonance 104.4FM. Saturdays at 4.30pm, and now podcast legally too! Film music, TV music, rare library recordings special guests and anything to do with soundtracks. Listen on-line at www.resonancefm.com

I've been caught with this. There is usually a line under the shipping that says customs service provided. I'm kind of lucky in that I don't have to pay the import duty, but trying to claim this one back is a bit of a nightmare. A regular interception by customs - the claim back is easy as it is a local tax. Trying to claim on a tax paid at source is near impossible.

I went through trying to get a wavier with eBay support, but no luck. Sales listed with "customs service provided" I just skip... cheaper ;-)

"It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Comment

Think this is down to the individual sellers to turn this option off, as Ebay have added it as a default. Bought something from the US via global shipping (still cheaper than buying over here), and the seller wasn't even aware that he was offering international shipping on his listing.

Comment

ebay. ruining what was good about itself since 2006
        instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Originally posted by Senor Trunk View Post
          so, many of us would have worked out that in order to avoid paying costly import duty on USA / JAPANESE LPs bought on-line you kindly ask the eBay (or wherever) seller to write on the customs forms "Old LP, value $10". This has saved me a fortune over the years, but has also cost me, having also come across retailers that won't lie, and getting stung with £20/ £40 import charges by the UK postie (obo UK Customs) before said parcel is being handed over. Well this is all no more, as eBay seems to have instigated a system whereby you pay the import duties at point of purchase. Bastards. This has probably alreadly been covered here, but just in case...
          Thanks for the heads up. Have just started selling on ebay again after a gap of a couple of years ...

Turbo

"White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Agree with Paul K.

I noticed Audio links are being removed by eBay. Wtf? (This might have been covered elsewhere on here).

Comment

Originally posted by J.R View Post
              Agree with Paul K.

I noticed Audio links are being removed by eBay. Wtf? (This might have been covered elsewhere on here).
              eBay banned almost all external links a few months ago - https://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-links.html

I'd also echo Paul K's observation about eBay.

WF

Comment

Working...
              X