Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the most you've ever paid for a record?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the most you've ever paid for a record?

... and do you regret doing it?

I searched for this topic and was surprised I couldn't find anything.

So if you're willing to confess, let us know.

More than the price per se, I'm interested to know whether you're glad you did it, or really regret it ...

So, I'd better start the ball rolling. Problem is I can't remember ever having paid a lot of money for a record.

In 2014, I drunkenly bought a copy of the 1st Blondie album on Private Stock, because as a teenager I loved the album and always wanted to own the original. It was about 22 quid, which I know to most of you, is small change. It's kind of a trophy, which seems a bit stupid.

I don't exactly regret it, but I didn't need it, and if I hadn't been drinking I might have resisted.

And $15 for a copy of Star of Love by Martha Shanklin 7", after falling in love with it at the time of the Exotica ML ... the shipping was about the same

Most of my other valuable records I bought when they were cheap or found after a lot of digging ...

There are original expensive records that I'd like to have, to play and be able to hear how good the original pressing was (e.g. Os Afro Sambas - Baden Powell & Vinicius de Moraes, or Domingo - Caetano & Gal, and many others) but I'm too stingy to pay out a lot for music I basically know already.

There, have at it, if you like ...

Turbo
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Originally posted by Turboellis View Post
    ... and do you regret doing it?

I searched for this topic and was surprised I couldn't find anything.

So if you're willing to confess, let us know.

More than the price per se, I'm interested to know whether you're glad you did it, or really regret it ...

So, I'd better start the ball rolling. Problem is I can't remember ever having paid a lot of money for a record.

In 2014, I drunkenly bought a copy of the 1st Blondie album on Private Stock, because as a teenager I loved the album and always wanted to own the original. It was about 22 quid, which I know to most of you, is small change. It's kind of a trophy, which seems a bit stupid.

I don't exactly regret it, but I didn't need it, and if I hadn't been drinking I might have resisted.

And $15 for a copy of Star of Love by Martha Shanklin 7", after falling in love with it at the time of the Exotica ML ... the shipping was about the same

Most of my other valuable records I bought when they were cheap or found after a lot of digging ...

There are original expensive records that I'd like to have, to play and be able to hear how good the original pressing was (e.g. Os Afro Sambas - Baden Powell & Vinicius de Moraes, or Domingo - Caetano & Gal, and many others) but I'm too stingy to pay out a lot for music I basically know already.

There, have at it, if you like ...

Turbo
    £100 back in 2002 for this beauty, no regrets whatsoever - at that time, it had not been re-issued:

Comment

I think my maximum is about £150. Have spent that on Nelson Angelo/Joyce, Pescado Rabioso 2 and Dom Salvador S/T

Anything much more than that and i'd pass thanks!

Comment

I suppose folks have been a little cursory on 'rinsing their raers' and bare-chest boasting on what traditionally has been a forum about overlooked gems. I suppose it is 2017 now, so...

Mine is also £100, for Anthony King/Memo 'Lost Star'. Don't feel bad about that purchase at all! Oh yes:

Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

€70 for my favourite thing by one of my favourite artists. No regrets at all.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Depends if you're counting records bought using PayPal funds you've acumalated by selling cheaper records.

Comment

Originally posted by llmod1 View Post
              Depends if you're counting records bought using PayPal funds you've acumalated by selling cheaper records.
              Does it, though? We're all guilty of pretending Paypal money is like Monopoly money - but one click of a mouse and that £500 of record tokens becomes £500 cash money in your bank account. Was weird being in Utrecht and counting out and handing over a wedge of Euros for a 45, felt quite unpleasant compared to the guilt-free mouse-click. Mind you, I was quite drunk and it was in an Italian restaurant...

Don't really want to discuss amounts but the only big money funk 45 I bought, I convinced myself it would be my ticket to international DJ stardom. Of course it wasn't and it turned out a box of 25 copies of the record had turned up - which isn't a lot in the scheme of things. I still love the record, often play it in DJ sets nearly 20 years later and, if I decided to sell it, it's doubled in value. It's a funny old game...

Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://m.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine54/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Originally posted by SirSlim View Post

£100 back in 2002 for this beauty, no regrets whatsoever - at that time, it had not been re-issued

And judging by the prices, it's still in high demand. Probably the new re-issue won't make much of a dent either. I know some of the tracks from somewhere and they are lovely.

Looks like at least one other vg+ member is a big fan ;-)

How does that LP compare to Hip Harp & On A Minor Groove, in your opinion? ...

Comment

Originally posted by Dan R View Post
                  I think my maximum is about £150. Have spent that on Nelson Angelo/Joyce, Pescado Rabioso 2 and Dom Salvador S/T

Anything much more than that and i'd pass thanks!
                  So some people have limits too, albeit higher than mine. I wonder if anyone will admit they don't have one ...

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
                    €70 for my favourite thing by one of my favourite artists. No regrets at all.

Hermeto Pascoal ... this I have no idea about but I'm going to have to hear it, later ...

Comment

Originally posted by The Divine One View Post
                      I convinced myself it would be my ticket to international DJ stardom. Of course it wasn't and it turned out a box of 25 copies of the record had turned up - which isn't a lot in the scheme of things. I still love the record, often play it in DJ sets nearly 20 years later and, if I decided to sell it, it's doubled in value. It's a funny old game...

Without naming the price, would you tell us what the record is? I'd like to hear a record that someone believes could be that powerful ... perhaps an original official undiscovered 7" of Tammi Terrell All I Do Is Think About You?

Comment

80 Euro for the first Ash Ra Tempel that I read about on the old vinyl vulture charts.
                        I was still in my teens and there was a crowded record shop in a backyard in Giessen (somewhere in Germany). The owner had terrible breath so you always had to tilt your head slightly when he talked to you but old school price guide prices and no computer in sight at the time.
                        We drove by the shop where I saw it previously and told my girlfriend to "Stop the car! "! I jumped out bought it and was back in the car after 5 minutes.
                        Not sure how I got all that beautiful money at the time and what made me think I should spend it all on a record now that I think about but it's a very intriguing beast. Mythic holy grail type stuff.

If anything I should have bought more. Buying vinyl rules.

Paypal money is real money btw.

All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Oh.

I forgot I kicked Ash Ra it of the throne this year with a painkiller fueled ebay frenzy.
                          Mc Church Soundroom for 120 Euros. I like shit with skulls on it yo.

All the Wolpertingers

Comment

$150 for a copy of Curtis Knight / Jimi Hendrix 'Hornet's Nest' 45 on RSVP. Long time grail and I'd sold a UK Stetsasonic 45 for about the same price when it popped up on Discogs. Monopoly money indeed, so I pulled the trigger. No regrets, it's still a rare and very heavy record, and if I didn't want it I'd get rid.

Comment

£32 for a Hendrix bootleg, which I then dropped onto my chair leg and a massive chunk came out of it.

I try not to go over £30 for records, but the cost of some new releases is starting to push up to that or even higher from Mondo.

ive always thought that the more I dig the more opertunity to find rare records cheap, especially as I started car booting in the 80s. but the past few years I haven't been to many car boots and have stuck to buying 1 brand new record every couple of weeks. its a lot cheaper.
                              instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Working...
                              X