Do you stream?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you stream?

I don't stream. It's never really occurred to me. My workmate plays Spotify playlists which are horrible.
    My lad does it all the time, but I don't really get it. Maybe I just like having something, even if it's a downloaded fart in a jar . But also nothing grabs me.
    I'm pretty much the same with films. Netflix seems full of shite, other better ones you can't get here. I still hire DVDs from the last shop standing.
    Does streaming go against everything VG+ stands for?
    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

I just started streaming music as I now have more data allowance on my phone. so at work I check out albums as and when they are recommended to me.
    I still mainly use my ipod for music I love. Netflix I use a lot, though I would love to be able to buy stuff like stranger things, I like to own things I really like so I can watch when I want without having to always be subscribed to something. I use BBC iplayer a lot as well. I tend to mainly watch youtube rather than tv, all tv programs are recorded and watched much later in one go. my girlfriend still watches live tv, which I find really frustrating now. to many adverts and things you aren't interested in blasting at you.

Spotify / apple music is ace for checking out recommendations, the playlists learn what you like. I tend to ignore them though. you tell them you like Hendrix and Nirvana you get foo fighters and green day suggested.
    instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

The closest that I get is music on YouTube to drown out colleagues in open plan at work. But too much of that and I can't concentrate anyway.

Comment

In the early days of spotify me & me mates were very taken with the ability to make a playlist and send it to each other, and was surprising how obscure Spotify can get. I don't do it so much now 'cos I find the desktop app is a pain in the arse, always a bit slow.

But it can be great to check out the odd thing, or find a good playlist etc. The related artists function is sometimes a good way of finding new stuff. I prefer a podcast these days, getting old.

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
          Does streaming go against everything VG+ stands for?
          I would say yes BC - streaming music is like turning a water tap on and off.

Selecting music for a VG+ swap is more akin to going down to a dusty wine cellar - pulling some vintage bottles down off the shelves covered in years worth of dust - pulling the cork on a few, then sharing the good wines with friends...

Comment

I would say the essence of VG+ is digging out obscure stuff and making lemonade out of lemons. With that in mind, streaming apps can be a new musical frontier. There's endless new stuff to be found on Bandcamp for instance, much of which is also available in physical formats. The right Youtube channels can be rabbitholes of amazing tracks to get lost in.

I do find that with streams etc I engage less i.e. I won't bother to check out tracklists and read notes etc but I'm not against it per se.
            "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

i look at streaming music, like watching film adverts, or reading reviews.
              its not the format id want to always use, as that is vinyl. but for checking things out, making playlists for parties etc its perfect.

also its what all kids use, so you have to be on there otherwise you don't exist.
              instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

I've got a few records laying about if I want to listen to music. I also still prefer to buy a DVD if I want to see a film. I can't get with this idea of paying for something which you never own. I should say I'm probably a lot further behind the times than most people, though. I've never had an ipod, or a mobile 'phone. If I need recommendations I can come here. The whole thing is a jolly good ruse, thunk up by some huge corporations to fleece people. The performers get a pittance, and the end user gets nothing tangible.
                "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

streaming is good. try it. its the future, all that music for a tenner a month. and Netflix is worth it just for stranger things
                  instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Originally posted by Paul-K View Post
                    streaming is good. try it. its the future, all that music for a tenner a month. and Netflix is worth it just for stranger things
                    Trouble is Paul I've already got more music than I can listen to. When the kids come home they get Netflix on their computers and then plug it into the TV. Annoys me no end. Then they complain that our TV is only 18" across. No pleasing 'em
                    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Pushing 50. Still streaming, but no doubt it will get more difficult sooner or later.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul-K View Post
                        I don´t watch series. They do my head in. I only like watching films, How It's Made, Storage Wars and that one where they make horrible bling fishtanks for idiots.
                        I suppose Youtube's streaming, isn't it? I use that a lot, but mainly because there's video footage there you don't find anywhere else. Every time I look for tunes on there I seem to end up with a sidebar full of stuff Madlib sampled.
                        Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
                          I've got a few records laying about if I want to listen to music. I also still prefer to buy a DVD if I want to see a film. I can't get with this idea of paying for something which you never own. I should say I'm probably a lot further behind the times than most people, though. I've never had an ipod, or a mobile 'phone. If I need recommendations I can come here. The whole thing is a jolly good ruse, thunk up by some huge corporations to fleece people. The performers get a pittance, and the end user gets nothing tangible.
                          Seconded..... It's basically £120 a year to listen to your own mixtapes.

If I'm at home I listen to my vinyl. In the car it's the radio and CDs and by the way Spotify doesn't have everything!!! My brother-in-law was bigging it up to me a while back and said "Yeah - gimme a band and we'll find them on here"..... After four not particularly obscure band names I gave him with not one of them being on there, his proselytising sorta tailed off.....

"Here comes the Fun Cooker!!"

Comment

As an aside this thread made me realise amazon are flogging their firesticks for 24.99 for 'Black Friday' (ughhhh) 38% off. Just bought one for the wife so she can stream the PLEX server upstairs. "Alexa please play 'the real housewives of..." She doesn't half watch some trash.
                            Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

Originally posted by Slim Jim View Post

Seconded..... It's basically £120 a year to listen to your own mixtapes.

it is if you use it to listen to music you already have. if you use it to listen to music you are thinking of buying however. its saved me on these colour vinyl horror soundtracks and new doom bands that turn out to be rubbish. like the new electric wizard album.

though saying that, I don't use it a lot. maybe an album a day. so that's 20 albums a month for £10. I probably buy 2 of them. if I really like them I nick the mp3, if I love them I buy the vinyl.

I don't have the time or patience anymore to play my records, I will in the future, but I haven't for the past couple of years
                              instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Working...
                              X