Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piano jazz - validating a cliche

Standards. Verging on cocktails jazz.

It works well when it is there in the background as you look out over the darkened city from on high.

Or is it just that it is now difficult to disassociate the two things, so frequently have they been linked?

Now that I am slightly less lag addled I can see that I could usefully have said a bit more here.

Stadium rock is very much music made to be heard in a particular place. The sort of jazztail music I found myself listening to would normally do nothing for me. But it was just right for watching London edge towards sunrise.

The effect was lost once the city was there in all its greyness.

Comment

I agree. Good for mood, but a genre I have no need to collect.

Ironically, I just rewatched The Fabolous Baker Boys and noticed how the songs help set the mood and also tell the story. Like My Funny Valentine, Do Nothing 'Till You Hear From Me etc.

Comment

When I look out on a darkened cities from on high I like some blaring, big band crime jazz.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Lounge Cowboy View Post

It works well when it is there in the background as you look out over the darkened city from on high.

Or is it just that it is now difficult to disassociate the two things, so frequently have they been linked?
          Depends who is playing it doesn't it? Bill Evans has had his fair share of detractors down the years but when I listen to him playing, for instance, 'Alfie' I'm hearing a bit more than just someone playing 'Alfie'. Some people play a couple of notes on a guitar, it sounds okay but someone else plays the same notes, they have a special feel for what they are doing and it sounds different; better. In classical music you can hear plenty of versions of the same piece and most may be pretty pedestrian but one might be, 'What did he just do there'? When Michelangeli plays Ravel's piano concerto it's spellbinding. He's got the touch. Watching the film of him playing it it's like he coaxing the notes out of the keyboard. Other people are just 'playing' it.
          Last edited by Shere Khan; 07-12-2017, 09:27 PM.
          "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Lounge Cowboy View Post

Validate this beauty GLC?

Comment

Victor is self-validating. Way more vim there than what I was listening to.

Comment

Bill Evans. Good thinking. His stuff with Lafaro was an early buy for me on the back of “Kind of Blue”. But it never clicked, for some reason. What I was listening to was not dissimilar. On a superficial level, anyway.

Comment

Most people don't have many kind words for George Shearing, but for me there's definitely a right time for him. & the boy from Battersea also wrote Lullaby of Birdland, the Ella version of which is often heard at Turbo Mansions ...
                  "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Originally posted by Turboellis View Post
                    Most people don't have many kind words for George Shearing, but for me there's definitely a right time for him. & the boy from Battersea also wrote Lullaby of Birdland, the Ella version of which is often heard at Turbo Mansions ...
                    I have!

Comment

Not to forget Oscar either , where his playing especially in the last couple of minutes of this is nothing less than spectacular

Comment

Originally posted by reza View Post
                        Not to forget Oscar either , where his playing especially in the last couple of minutes of this is nothing less than spectacular

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Turboellis View Post
                            Most people don't have many kind words for George Shearing...
                            There's a 10" with a nice, dark Summertime version. Put it on this mix a while ago. It's at 21:19:

Comment

Working...
                            X