Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't play your records more than once a day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't play your records more than once a day!

According to Bernie Grundman, famous mastering engineer, it takes a while for the grooves to recover after an LP has been played.

Is he completely mad?

Invaluable info gleaned from:
    http://www.thevinylguide.com/episode...w-joe-satriani

I thought I was going to be very bored this episode, but I wasn't ...
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

recover!?!
    instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

You still play your records?
      All the Wolpertingers

Comment

I can't listen to the podcast at the moment but this is the first time I ever hear this. I mean I've heard that it's better not to play twice in a row the same side (something to do with static electricity on the grooves?) but the fact that a record needs a rest (?!) is news to me.
        Everything in Greece is arpa kolla

Comment

The sanctification of vinyl gets more ludicrous each day. In a few years time people will find it hard to imagine that we once played records for the ephemeral pleasure we derived from them. I'm not going to live forever and nobody will want my records when I'm gone so I spin them with wanton abandon.
          "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

the beatles subscription thread on another forum is a weird place. they hold the beatles and vinyl as almost holy. there is pages of people sending records back as after close inspection under lights there are faint paper scratches, slight creases on covers or even the included booklets cause massive upset. when did all this happen? is it because records cost a lot now?

remember DJs "scratching", i think that may cause them to faint. they are all meant to be played, if it wears out (unlikely) then get another one.
            instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Comment

Comment

how does vinyl know how long 24 hours is?
                  instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Originally posted by Paul-K View Post
                    By converting it's length into hours then timesing by two.

Comment

47,952 revolutions for the big ones, 64,800 for there little ones.

Vardy.....¬°¬°¬°PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Stop the world and let me off.....

I regularly play the same side twice and then the other side twice. Works best with Hot Stampers.
                        Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

One man's truth is different from another's ... I would expect that someone doing Grundman's job would have insider information that others wouldn't ...

I thought it was kinda interesting ... I doubt that I'll change my behaviour, but I might think about it ...

I try not to do anything that will make my rekkids in a worse condition than when I buy them, and go to considerable lengths to clean them up for a more pleasant listening experience ... I very rarely anymore feel the need to listen to a record multiple times in a row ... haven't done that probably since Ballroom Blitz ... for various reasons, I also mostly digitize on 1st listen so after that, I can listen to the rip ...

I'm guessing that most of us treat our rekkids fairly well, and if you take a bit of care they generally last long enough ...

Any other dubious truths like this, I wonder ...

"White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

the beatles subscription thread on another forum is a weird place. they hold the beatles and vinyl as almost holy. there is pages of people sending records back as after close inspection under lights there are faint paper scratches, slight creases on covers or even the included booklets cause massive upset. when did all this happen? is it because records cost a lot now?
                            No, it's because the vast majority of Beatles collectors are anal retentive dullards...
                            "Here comes the Fun Cooker!!"

Comment

https://youtu.be/g7-5io1muSQ?t=58s
                              The Downstairs Lounge
                              http://downstairslounge.wordpress.com/
                              http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/

Comment

Working...
                              X