Stylus upgrade advice needed!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stylus upgrade advice needed!

I suspect there's already a thread on here somewhere, but with images vanishing with photobucket etc thought I'd ask again.

I'm getting a new (old) deck set up and am looking for a cartridge/stylus for it. I've got a Nagaoka MP 110 at the moment on a Rega, but have never been that keen. New, clean albums sound good - but old singles and used albums just don't seem to sound great. In short, it seems to make the good stuff sound good - but the bad stuff sound terrible. I prefer listening to stuff on my Technics with Shure WhiteLabels...

Is there a good all-rounder which suits old vinyl - or is there an equivalent "hi-fi" version of Shure WhiteLabels? Budget is under £100.

Thanking you in advance...
    Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

What you describe is the classic experience of an elliptical stylus. Due to its positioning in the groove, new stuff sounds amazing but anything fairly used sounds way rougher than it ought to.
    The trade-off is a spherical stylus which will make old stuff sing, but you will lose some of the detail and top end. You could get a Technics EPC-270 if you can find one, which will allow you to use spherical or elliptical styli. I love mine to bits.
    "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

Comment

Originally posted by eclectiktronik View Post
      What you describe is the classic experience of an elliptical stylus. Due to its positioning in the groove, new stuff sounds amazing but anything fairly used sounds way rougher than it ought to.
      The trade-off is a spherical stylus which will make old stuff sing, but you will lose some of the detail and top end. You could get a Technics EPC-270 if you can find one, which will allow you to use spherical or elliptical styli. I love mine to bits.
      Thanks for the reply - just checked, and it seems the Shure Whitelabel is a spherical stylus. So, that all makes sense. I probably won't be switching stylii about, I'm not that fussed about losing a bit of top end, would much rather have some oomph in the bass.
      Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Working...
      X