Be difficult with me VG+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be difficult with me VG+

Can you rep a record in your collection that you have to work a bit harder to listen to but nevertheless rewards?

Something that challenges you in a way that putting on that slick rockin' 45 that or smooth zone LP doesn't?

Something that jars, but you like the cut of its jib?

Here is a record I bought yesterday that made me want to know yours

Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Another one that's difficult in a different way. I have to devote more energy to listen than I usually have, but intensely good when I do (about once every 18 months):

Harry Partch—And on the Seventh Day Petals Fall in Petaluma
    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

I love this record but Gene is so obviously out of tune with the backing it can't be ignored. I guess that's sort of what keeps bringing me back to it.

"You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Extreme sentimental Colombian cheese that I can't stop playing.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

I bought a 600 LP Avant/ Free Jazz collection with a buddy and I am slooooowly working my way through. Every record feels a bit like a chore and often the skronk is too high and we turn it off. BUT when they do find a groove it's the the best. Like that long bit before "Vom Himmel hoch" on the Kraftwerk debut.

"Is it going to stay like this?"
          -"No... wait for it!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4b0-juTiQ8
          All the Wolpertingers

Comment

This efi deep spin is so wrong it's right again. Messes with my head though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jXfzF9K_ZJQ
            All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Not in my collection but I tried very hard to like 'Horrific Child ‎– L'Étrange Mr Whinster'. I couldn't.

Entertaining yes. Enjoyable, not very.
              "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

I have a pretty hefty collection of 20th century composer music, much of which is pretty difficult if you're going in cold. One of my favourite composers is Roberto Gerhard, a Catalan composer who emigrated to England in the aftermath of the Spanish civil war, an experimenter who used serialism, electronics, and other techniques to create astounding and highly individual works.

Here is The Plague, based on the Camus story, which marries narration, chorus and orchestra to create something unique, disturbing, and amazing:

Comment

Arthur Blythe: here he is on the cusp between free jazz skronk and funky tuba-driven riff:

Comment

Originally posted by eine View Post

Here is a record I bought yesterday that made me want to know yours
                    I like this. The only thing that seems difficult is the corny vocals. I remember finding some of the late 80s digi-riddims a bit hard going at first, but they soon got under your skin. Here's a couple that I hated first, but grew to love.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Not sure if I fully grasp the remit, but what sprung to mind is Type O Negative's Bloody Kisses album. I always liked a bit of heavy metal but not Type O, for various reasons, and I was irritated and appalled every time I walked into a shop in 1992 and the previous album, Origin of the Feces, was playing. This seemed very popular with grinning, giggling record shop staff at the time. I can't remember exactly why I picked up Bloody Kisses a year later, perhaps it was hearing the impressive/ludicrous cover of 'Summer Breeze'. Whatever it was, my expectations were low enough to buy it CD. Once I'd overcome my prejudices and given in to (what I perceived to be) the low brow aesthetic, I was amazed at how great it is. Brilliantly conceived and executed gothic metal which still sounds amazing to me, especially on headphones. Imagine if Danzig lived up to the hype. It was a big hit, of course, and there was a bit of a gap to the follow up October Rust (1996), which I did buy on vinyl but which did nothing for me, and I sold it (at some profit, as I recall) to someone in Finland.

Anyone else here rate it? Or even heard it?

Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Radio Free Europe play 'It Likes You'. You may not like it.

Comment

Just one more... Niemen's Katharis album uses electronics in a slightly irritating brilliant way

Comment

Probably the Raxach String Quartet # 2 that I mentioned in the classical finds thread. Not quite enough disquiet to put me off.

Just the other side of the dividing line would be some Egisto Macchi. I have the CD "Futuribili" which is a real effort to listen to and (excepting one extraneous 'bonus' track from another LP) has so far given nothing in return.
                            Last edited by Grim Lounge Cowboy; 15-02-2018, 02:35 PM. Reason: Moving words around

Comment

Some great gear here, thanks all. Never heard the Type O Negative LP but will look out. I keep meaning to make an effort to listen to more heavy stuff.

I will def be seeking out a copy of the Roberto Gerhard, Sonovox, but see you have to pay for it! I think all the stuff you posted is great.

The only thing that seems difficult is the corny vocals.
                              yup, my problem with it. not really a problem as I like the record, but they kind of jar.

Originally posted by Cacapo View Post
                              Like that long bit before "Vom Himmel hoch" on the Kraftwerk debut.
                              "Is it going to stay like this?"
                              -"No... wait for it!"
                              oh yes!

Comment

Working...
                              X