To what lengths do you go ... ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To what lengths do you go ... ?

Tonight while listening to a Knosti-cleaned LP, I noticed a jump, so after I'd finished eating dinner, I decided to see if I could fix it. It's always nicer to listen to a record that doesn't jump, right?

So I found the spot, ran the stylus back and forth, that didn't fix it, tried more cleaning fluid, that didn't fix it, even tried holding the cartridge handle while the stylus went through the danger zone. Couldn't fix it, this time, which was a shame. I find it quite satisfying when it's possible.

So, to what lengths do you go to fix your rekkids?
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

I'm doing battle with a scratch that has so far resisted the following:

Good clean with warm water and detergent
    Good clean with alcohol
    Application of PVA glue
    Play record forwards and backwards with pressure on stylus.
    Placed record on pile of books and attempted to examine scratch with junior microscope. Failed. Wife and child mocked me. "Have you discovered the germs that cause scratches?"", "Maybe the fault is at the molecular level?".

Currently considering terrifying sandpaper solution as tested by Cacapo.
    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
      I'm doing battle with a scratch that has so far resisted the following:
      Nice one babycart ... why do you think it's a scratch that can be repaired? Is it smiling at you?

Comment

Originally posted by Turboellis View Post

Nice one babycart ... why do you think it's a scratch that can be repaired? Is it smiling at you?
        No, it's causing one jump on the best track on a great album and I will not face facts.
        Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Use a toothpik.

Run it along with the groove over the scratch.

The wood won't really damage your record.

Comment

And press harder over the scratch

Comment

Originally posted by Mescal View Post
              Use a toothpik.

Run it along with the groove over the scratch.

The wood won't really damage your record.
              There are some very dangerous people on this board. I'm going to try that tonight.

Any other hair-brained techniques for reconstructing grooves? Did I hear someone say "marzipan?"

Comment

------------------------------------------------------
                "This is Modpowerpopsouljunkierock´n´roll so stop post shit like Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Grace Jones , Led Zeppelin and some other boring blues stuff, that kind of music don´t belong in this group, if I´ll ever see shit like that posted in this group again that person will be banned from this group forever!!!!"

Comment

Get yourself a jeweller's loupe - even if you can't fix it you'll have a better idea of what's thwarting (and taunting) you

North of the River Cole

Comment

Originally posted by Turboellis View Post

There are some very dangerous people on this board. I'm going to try that tonight.

Any other hair-brained techniques for reconstructing grooves? Did I hear someone say "marzipan?"
                    A friend of mine uses both toothpicks and his pinky nail. I would avoid using anything (including marzipan) and if possible would replace the record.

Everything in Greece is arpa kolla

Comment

Originally posted by cratedigger View Post
                      Fascinating image. I think all that's needed is to heat the record somehow, then gently "open out" the grooves using a toothpick. But first I'll need a loupe.

Nothing is impossible if you dare to dream.

Marzipan doesn't last long round my way.
                      Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

I had a go at the sandpaper method last week. I have a copy of 'Directions In Jazz' with a scratch across a couple of tracks. It doesn't jump but the click, click, click is annoying and means I just don't play it- so nothing to lose. I gave it three sandings, followed by a wash each time. To my ears the sanding hasn't altered the sound at all- I'm sure it has in some way but not that I can hear with my aged ears. It's still clicking though; I clearly need to sand it a bit more. As Cacapo said the record doesn't look that great after a sanding but I don't spend too long staring at the surface.
                        "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
                          I clearly need to sand it a bit more.
                          Yes, stop fannying about and get serious. Use the disc rather than the belt

Click image for larger version

Name:	10849_051.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	1041478

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

1. Scan the damaged area.
                            2. Compare damaged area to sound file taken from another disc.
                            3. Construct digital 3D profile of area to be patched.
                            4. Send patch data to micro digi-printer.
                            5. Print patch.
                            6. Deploy nanobots to bond patch to damaged area.
                            7. Leave 90 minutes for nanobots to return to base.
                            Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Or you can sandpaper the bastard till it plays.
                              Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Working...
                              X