Nube Audacity query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nube Audacity query

Please can someone give me a step-by-step guide.

The recent CD swap was my first attempt to use Audacity. Before that I had used a local pro-service; not cheap, but bearable in small doses.

I've been learning to use Audacity by trial and error. But for this problem I thought I would just ask here - I can't be the first person who has confronted this.

I am trying to de-click a very long quiet spell in a track. Difficult to see the clicks, though. If I amplify it the clicks become completely clear and easy to fix. But then I can't go back to "Undo amplify". There must be a way of working out how much de-amplification I have to do to get back to the original level, whilst retaining the de-click.

Ta!

Originally posted by Grim Lounge Cowboy View Post
    Please can someone give me a step-by-step guide.

The recent CD swap was my first attempt to use Audacity. Before that I had used a local pro-service; not cheap, but bearable in small doses.

I've been learning to use Audacity by trial and error. But for this problem I thought I would just ask here - I can't be the first person who has confronted this.

I am trying to de-click a very long quiet spell in a track. Difficult to see the clicks, though. If I amplify it the clicks become completely clear and easy to fix. But then I can't go back to "Undo amplify". There must be a way of working out how much de-amplification I have to do to get back to the original level, whilst retaining the de-click.

Ta!
    Thought I'd come to the wrong forum. Just for a second I thought that said Nude Audacity query.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Use it so infrequently I have to figure it all out from scratch every time.

There's a lot of help on Youtube.

Comment

I watched a couple of them. No joy.

Ho hum.

Got tired/lazy. Found myself watching a video on how to make decorative tiles out of old CDs.

Thought I would ask here.

Comment

How far did you come?

You can go back a few steps (maybe five I think) in the menu. Doesnt hurt to keep the raw files saved in a different project for that sort of thing.
          All the Wolpertingers

Comment

If you zoom in with the magnifying glass tool you can see the clicks without changing the sound level, and then zoom back out to normal. Or simply select the passage and click on Click removal from the Effects drop down. You can fiddle around with sensitivity levels but an auto click removal gets rid of all but the most stubborn blighters, zoom in to get them.
            The Downstairs Lounge
            http://downstairslounge.wordpress.com/
            http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/

Comment

Zoom + click removal + sensitivity levels hadn't occurred to me. Will try it.

Simply zooming in doesn't suffice. So much of the track is so quiet - by the time I get down to the requisite level it is difficult to visually distinguish the music signal from the noise signal (I can't see what I can hear - if you like). Amplify it and you can see it all clearly.

Comment

How far did I come? I am not sure how this relates to what I did. I am familiar with the presence of an "undo [insert name of function]" prompt. But no more than that. So, to get to "undo amplify" (hence getting it back to its normal sound level - or near enough) I have to first undo the declicking. And that defeats the object.

I started to think about amplifying, then declicking, then saving, then changing the number value for the amplification. But it wasn't clear to me why it would make a difference compared to what I was doing. My guess was that I would still not be able to find the right number value for the amplification. I keep getting odd results when it comes to that.

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions.

Please keep them coming folks.

Comment

I use the Repair function in the Tools menu.

For that you have to zoom in to where the click is, select it and then go to that menu and click on Repair. If you've selected too much, it'll tell you. I get great results, so if you have any more questions about this method, fire ahead. (What it actually does is smooth out the peak in the wave form very effectively.)

If you end up using it as much as I do, you can assign a custom keyboard shortcut to it.

Hope that works for you.
                    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

And as Cacapo says, keep a copy of your original audacity project in case you make a mess ...

Comment

Did you try this?
                        https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/click_removal.html

It may be better for what you're trying to do.

Comment

Hi Turbo

I found the 'Repair' function a few weeks ago. Before that it had been a matter of using the repair pencil. Could have done with "Repair" before.

Late yesterday, prompted by Cacapo's comments, I tried saving some 'amplified + declicked' changes. The saving seemed to have effect of resetting a particular numerical value to zero (or close to it). I then subtracted the number I first amplified by. The got me something that looked close to what I started with. I then went to bed.

Will look at the link in a while.

Ta

Comment

As well as the Zoom In / Zoom Out by time you can zoom in by amplitude. Clicking (and right-clicking to get back out) on the scale does it. Or click and drag the dotted line that appears to change the origin of the axis. I tested it just now by recording something very quietly using the internal mic and then dragging up from the bottom (where the gap is between L and R for a stereo track) and it zoomed in so the scale was something like 0 - 0.010 instead of the normal 0 - 1 range - does that make sense?
                            Also I think you can get logarithmic scales, because I think I've done it by accident before.

I normally just repair very loud pops - I've not had much success with trying to remove noise from a whole track, although have tried to play around with the click remover

Comment

Grim Lounge Cowboy It's definitely worth persevering with. It's the best (open source) sound editing software I've ever used. I've contributed a bit of cash a couple of times too, I like it so much. I use it almost daily.

Comment

Working...
                              X