Change the forum poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change the forum poll

It's okay to ask the question should we change the forum but that thread could just run and run. How about a Poll? I think the discussion has thrown up rather a lot of questions- too many for one poll, really. Maybe this will give us some idea how many people want to see some sort of change. You can tick one of these or all of these, it's up to you. I'm really not sure which questions to ask and it took me a full minute to formulate these. It might at least give us an idea. I've set it to run for a month. Then we need to find Ashra- anyone know him? Or one of the other mods?
    I'd like to see fewer sub forums
    60.47%
    I'd like to see a sales thread
    34.88%
    I think 'Let's Talk' could be merged into one 'General Chat' thread
    44.19%
    I think 'Let's Remember' could be merged into one thread
    44.19%
    We don't need 'Let's Inform' it could easily be in 'General Chat'
    44.19%
    I'd like the forum to stay the same
    23.26%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Shere Khan; 23-04-2018, 03:49 PM.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Good for you for taking the initiative SK.

Better for having another box to give it context? Something like "Leave 'well enough' alone"?

Comment

I'd like to see fewer sub forums...
      The Downstairs Lounge
      http://downstairslounge.wordpress.com/
      http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/

Comment

I have no particular strong views on the matter - I'm largely in agreement with those who see no problem in the number of sub-threads, but I'm not opposed to sensible merging tweaks if it makes others happier without losing any of the range the forum offers. Here's my two pen'worth...

It seems that those who want changes fall largely into two groups (with some overlap); those who want VG+ to be easier to use in the age of FB, IG, Twitter and the rest (I don't use any of these so it's not a problem personally) and those who see the format of the site as the main reason that many contributors seem to have have gone elsewhere.

I have genuine difficulty with the 'ease of use' argument, partly because I'm not very tech-savvy but more because I feel that the site's raison d'etre is, above all, to talk about music, records and associated fields, be it a mildly cynical one line quip or a full blown essay. If it's too much effort for people then maybe they will be more comfortable on another platform.

I can't say with any authority why formerly regular contributors have left, a myriad of reasons I'm sure - greener grass elsewhere, the inevitable changes life throws at us, too many '50p turds' or whatever, but I would imagine that the reasons for this emanate from elsewhere and not from VG+ itself.

What I will say is to repeat what I've said before when this subject has arisen, firstly, we should stick with the 'no sales' policy - there are plenty of places to buy and sell records and while I'm aware that many VG+ contributors have some reliance on vinyl commerce, I think that the opportunities offered for trading records are adequate and if you must buy and sell, you can always PM others and make your own arrangements - I'd rather spend my time discussing the relative pros and cons of Leo Sayer records personally.

Secondly, I'm sure we'd all like to see more new members, but this desire surely must be accompanied by a realistic expectation that we're going to have to cover old ground again for their benefit, '50p turds' and all. I certainly don't think potential newbies are going to be turned on by having to read an ongoing collective existential crisis, so this inevitably means less vinyl/genre snobbery and more 'post up yer finds!' - be they 'ra-ers' or 'Leo Sayers.'

Finally, it appears that the site probably does require a bit more admin attention/ tidying up. The mildly farcical current 'April Finds' affair (you may not miss my 50p turds, but Turboellis' fine 20th century composer horde shouldn't be lost to posterity by dint of a simple error) demonstrates this, as does my similarly minor gripe that the 'Classical Finds' thread is misplaced. This is not to criticise in any way those who have performed these duties up to now of course. I was happy to contribute to the last board makeover (and would do so again) - yes, the changes take a bit of getting used to, but if I can manage it, then they've clearly passed the 'idiot-proof' test and the overall improvement is tangible, which is a credit to all involved, so may I say thank you to them.

So in my typically contrarian style I shall be abstaining from the vote but I hope a reasonable solution can be found so we can get back to doing what we do best...whatever that is...

you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Comment

Think the poll shows something needs changing , a grand total of 11 voters in 24 hours , hardly any active or interested members anymore

Comment

I am leaning towards abstaining. What I want is a result that is good for the forum. If I had to vote now it would be 'stay the same'.

Comment

Cogent points all. I myself am aware that due to various reasons I have not been as regular a contributor as previously although I visit regularly and very much enjoy the collective enthusiasm and ethos. I think that broadly what attracted us all here is still present and does what we wish it too (with the exception of having seen some regular contributors float away to other corners of the internet). I would expect that a great number do still pop by like myself but for whatever reason contribute more infrequently than before. It would be shame to lose so much of what has made the site what is in search of some elusive elixir.

That said there are numerous sub-forums which I do not make much use of and so could perhaps be merged with a general chat thread if those more regular contributors felt that would be beneficial for the day to day running and enjoyment of the site. Similarly to GC I would also prefer there not be an explicit sales section on the page given the preponderance of other options on line. I very much appreciate both here and 45cat for the non-commercial basis they run on and the focus purely on the love of the music. I am aware that there will be a great amount of trading and offering going on via pages and PMs which is fantastic and offers an avenue for such things to take place without a part of the site itself becoming a market place.

On that note I'm away to grab lunch before heading out for an afternoon of driving too far to towns I haven't been to for ages to see if the charity shops there offer any delights so wish me luck.

Comment

Looking sort of half and half at the moment though not so many wanting the forum to stay the same. Only three weeks to go
                "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Lounge Cowboy View Post
                  I am leaning towards abstaining. What I want is a result that is good for the forum. If I had to vote now it would be 'stay the same'.
                  Same here, with or without the poll leading to what is expected, be it a shrunk melting pot or the same old one in the long run...
                  DANCE TO THE RADIO

Comment

I'm generally in the "stay the same" camp. I voted for that but also voted to merge a couple of areas. What was the point of that!? Perhaps I should get me coat

Or was it a long winded way of abstaining? Are the abstainers ambivalent, or "stay the samers"?

If you are signed in I still don't see how reducing the number of sub-forums would improve things because the New Topics button is your friend. If you are not signed in then, granted, that changes things a bit because I don't thinks the New Topics button is available, but if you are a regular then why wouldn't you be signed in?

Comment

I don't even know where some of the mentioned sections are, and happy to stay that way ...
                      "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Those who are in favour of a sales thread might like to start thinking of what it would look like. Consider the concerns that have been raised regarding such a thread; how might the thread be structured so as to assuage them?

Comment

I say leave it as it is, and I'm against a sales thread too.

All online forums go through quieter periods, it seems.
                          People stop posting for various reasons, but lack of responsiveness to posts, particularly finds, is surely one of them.

Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

No strong views either way - hence a non-vote from me...
                            "Here comes the Fun Cooker!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Lounge Cowboy View Post
                              Those who are in favour of a sales thread might like to start thinking of what it would look like. Consider the concerns that have been raised regarding such a thread; how might the thread be structured so as to assuage them?
                              A very good point, GLC...a few more questions spring to mind...

Given the existing shortage of admin input, who would we expect to make the changes necessary to facilitate a sales thread?

And as we already struggle to stay free of security threats wouldn't the increased traffic bring with it a greater likelihood of fraudsters/hackers/scammers/general shysters, etc?

What if disputes break out over sales?

While I don't deny that VG+ might be an attractive draw for buyers/sellers, mightn't this change the very nature of the site? (Think it through; Finds threads might become little more than advertising of wares ('I picked up this beauty this morning - and you can now own it for only blah pounds!'); Wants threads: (A; 'I've been 25 years looking for this beauty', B: 'Well why didn't you buy the one I was offering for extortionate pounds last week then, lunkhead?' etc); Events: ('Hey, I'll be selling all this groovy stuff down at Thingummy Record Fair - why not come down and give me all your money?'. etc...etc...)

I have other questions regarding the poll itself - (now let me make this VERY clear - I believe that Shere Khan acted in good faith in instigating this poll - he is NOT D*vid C*meron and should not be treated as such) - I'm a little unclear as to how it works - does only the most voted for option become policy? Top 2? Top 3?...anything over 50%? Having announced my/our intention to abstain, might I/we be forced to renege on this in a bid to avoid hosting a sales thread?

Your thoughts please...
                              you can hear colours when they rhyme...

Comment

Working...
                              X