Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice on removing smoke stains?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Advice on removing smoke stains?

    I picked up a really nice collection of about 150 LPs recently but the previous owners were heavy smokers and didn't use plastic LP covers, so many of the sleeves have yellow/brown staining around the edges. They also smell strongly of smoke.
    So what exactly is in those stains, is it nicotine? tar? Human lung ejectamenta? This is not clear to me.
    Secondly, what methods have people used to remove such stains, or failing that to at least improve the overall appearance of a sleeve?
    I've looked online but the internet is a mess of conflicting information these days.
    Anyone ever tried bleaching?

    Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

  • #2
    It'll be tar, I think, so I'd try a rub with some lighter fuel and kitchen paper. Not sure if bleaching would work but what are the records?
    Last edited by peretti; 17-05-2018, 11:38 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Just saw this on Discogs forum about removing cigarette smells, no idea if works:

      https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/768353#7618167

      "I've had good success with keeping records in a closed box along with a tumble dryer sheet to remove strong smells like cigarette smoke. I reckon storing the record in poly sleeve with the same sheets would work too. At the very least you wouldn't be smelling the mould while it sat on your shelf "

      Never see those tumble drier sheets advertised any more (was there a brand called Bounce?), but I guess you can still get them

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by bongolia View Post
        Just saw this on Discogs forum about removing cigarette smells, no idea if works:

        https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/768353#7618167

        "I've had good success with keeping records in a closed box along with a tumble dryer sheet to remove strong smells like cigarette smoke. I reckon storing the record in poly sleeve with the same sheets would work too. At the very least you wouldn't be smelling the mould while it sat on your shelf "

        Never see those tumble drier sheets advertised any more (was there a brand called Bounce?), but I guess you can still get them
        I never thought I'd be posting this on VG+...


        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Milesago View Post
          [FONT=verdana]I picked up a really nice collection of about 150 LPs recently but the previous owners were heavy smokers and didn't use plastic LP covers


          Comment


          • #6
            I thought about suggesting taking up smoking so all the other LPs will match...

            Comment


            • #7
              I'd go at it with alcohol. I go at every stain with 98% alcohol. You can buy it everywhere in Spain, but I'm not sure it's available in the UK because you'd probably drink it.
              We don't need to drink it here because a litre of gutrot red wine is even cheaper . I'm amazed more alcoholics don't move here, to be honest. They'd save a fortune.

              To get rid of smells on the spine I'd use bicarbonate of soda, put it in a trough and stand the records there for a day or two. You can buy a kilo of bicarbonate of soda for cleaning stuff dirt cheap here, but I can't remember seeing it in the UK apart from small packets in the baking department, because you eat it. .

              You get cleaning vinegar cheap here too, but not in the UK because you eat it. What is it with British people eating cleaning products?

              Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by babycart View Post
                I'd go at it with alcohol. I go at every stain with 98% alcohol. You can buy it everywhere in Spain, but I'm not sure it's available in the UK because you'd probably drink it.
                You forgot to say what they do in Spain with 98% alcohol. They disinfect wounds with it. I still remember the feeling, when a child, if you bruised your knee or have any kind of bloody cut. My mother would open the "alcohol puro" bottle and pour it liberally over the injury. Ouch!

                Now they treat you with "Agua Oxigenada" (hydrogen peroxide) which also is used as hair bleacher. Have you noticed how many products had many different uses over there? I remember using a toilet paper that could double as sandpaper.

                Click image for larger version  Name:	Elefante-9.jpg Views:	1 Size:	44.2 KB ID:	1043327
                ¡A tope con la vida!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Carlitos View Post

                  Now they treat you with "Agua Oxigenada" (hydrogen peroxide) which also is used as hair bleacher. Have you noticed how many products had many different uses over there? I remember using a toilet paper that could double as sandpaper.

                  Click image for larger version Name:	Elefante-9.jpg Views:	1 Size:	44.2 KB ID:	1043327
                  I was surprised to learn that they squirt seawater up your nostrils to treat a snotty nose. Even more surprised when I learned that having a blocked up nose is constipación.

                  Also, suppositories are far more readily prescribed here. A few weeks ago a little old English lady at a carboot sale stall told me she had to take her pill, and I offered to fetch her a glass of water to wash it down. "Oh no, dear, it goes up me bum." she told me. I'm not often lost for words, but that shut me up proper.

                  Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Probably should be said if you are using IPA or a cleaner high in solvents you should only use it on something that has been laminated. I've had good success with Studio 2 Stereo records using a mixture of IPA and my own saliva! At your own risk and all that....
                    Last edited by amidar; 22-05-2018, 08:46 AM. Reason: own not won
                    Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

                    Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

                    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

                    Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by amidar View Post
                      and my own saliva!
                      You mean it's no longer available in shops? It's political correctness gone mad.
                      "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post

                        You mean it's no longer available in shops? It's political correctness gone mad.
                        You lot would probably eat it.
                        Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Haha

                          I'm happy to operate on the black market. 10 quid for 5ml of the sweet stuff.
                          Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

                          Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

                          Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

                          Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by amidar View Post
                            ...a mixture of IPA and my own saliva...

                            +




                            = ???
                            you can hear colours when they rhyme...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I used to sniff salty water up my nose when my hayfever was very bad. Not sure I'd really fancy using seawater though?

                              I was going to take umbrage about the Brits eating/drinking anything unless they're specifically told not to comments, but then I thought who am I to speak? I've been drinking brake fluid recently. My friends are concerned but I've said it's OK - I can stop any time I want to


                              North of the River Cole

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X