Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help naming cheesy new wave hit from 1979 (?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help naming cheesy new wave hit from 1979 (?)

Hi everyone. Can someone name a hit from circa 1979 - all I can remember is the line "Seventeen - not just a number". I think the title of the song was indeed Seventeen. But I can't recall any more than that. It was on telly. But not TOTP.

The Regents!

North of the River Cole

Comment

Or this version

North of the River Cole

Comment

Haha - omg. What an amazingly prompt and helpful response! So ace.

So - it *was* on totp after all. It might actually be nearly 40 years since I last heard this. "A permanent erection" - hurm matron! But in the first version the lyric is "a permanent reaction". Presumably the former was the radio play promo version, and the latter the "real" one (?).

Anyway, great stuff RedX - much obliged.

Comment

Not so cheesy, surely? But I do remember disliking something about it when it appeared on TOTP, I wasn't sure what (I was 15) but it was something about old people (well into their 20s!) singing about a girl being 17 in some knowing way I couldn't decipher. Fuck that, I probably thought, give me a clear, universal message like Ace Of Spades, any day (I should probably check release dates but f**kit).
          Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

A new one on me. The description made it sound right up my street. Not a great record and a few hours later I’ve already forgotten the tune but those backing singers were great. Well worth watching for their slightly bonkers performance.

Comment

They made 4 singles and they're all, at the very least, 'interesting'. Probably deserved a shot at an LP but it never happened for whatever reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Milesago View Post
                Not so cheesy, surely? But I do remember disliking something about it when it appeared on TOTP, I wasn't sure what (I was 15) but it was something about old people (well into their 20s!) singing about a girl being 17 in some knowing way I couldn't decipher. Fuck that, I probably thought, give me a clear, universal message like Ace Of Spades, any day (I should probably check release dates but f**kit).
                I was 16. The singer's haircut would simply have removed him, his entire band and anything they ever recorded from serious consideration.
                Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post

I was 16. The singer's haircut would simply have removed him, his entire band and anything they ever recorded from serious consideration.
                  Good point, in fact I probably wrote off many far more worthy artists on TOTP for crimes against fashion, footwear, hairstyles, headgear,appearing in any way middle-aged, or any hint of being uncool, or trying too hard, or pretentiousness, or behaving oddly in too obvious a manner (e.g. that idiot with the harmonica in Bad Manners). I was quite the armchair critic. I later forgave this particular hairstyle when I discovered Panther Burns.

Comment

Originally posted by Milesago View Post

Good point, in fact I probably wrote off many far more worthy artists on TOTP for crimes against fashion, footwear, hairstyles, headgear,appearing in any way middle-aged, or any hint of being uncool, or trying too hard, or pretentiousness, or behaving oddly in too obvious a manner (e.g. that idiot with the harmonica in Bad Manners). .
                    I don't think I've ever felt such sheer, white-hot contempt and disgust in my life as when I watched Violinski doing Clog Dance. Punk is fracturing and mutating into a million forms and here's a fucking hippy with a fiddle.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post

Punk is fracturing and mutating into a million forms and here's a fucking hippy with a fiddle.
                      Exactly. I rather have this take of sweet seventeen angst.

¡A tope con la vida!

Comment

Well, I bought this at the time - in my defence (if I need one) I was 12 - but funnily enough I don't remember any playground chatter about a 'rude' version, though I have a vague memory of wondering what "a permanent reaction" was all about, but then I don't suppose I did much scrutinizing of lyrics at that age

I was talking about youthful record purchases with a mate recently and I was saying that I thought by '79 I'd got my musical tastes pretty much sorted out and I was fully committed to 2 Tone but when I thought about it I was also still buying stuff like the above and I also remember a UFO single called "Young Blood" and a version of Iron Maiden's "Women In Uniform" by Skyhook (?) - I didn't know the one I bought was the cover version and wondered why it didn't sound like the one I'd heard on the radio

North of the River Cole

Comment

Working...
                        X