Vinyl is Dead pt 96

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinyl is Dead pt 96

Lidl. Today. There were three LPs to choose from. Appetite for Destruction, the Nirvana Unplugged, and Amy Winehouse Back in Black
    Those funny cars won't make the teardrops start/ but way up there is where she broke my heart

The only thing I'm shocked at is the price!

North of the River Cole

Comment

Maybe the Guns n Roses had the naughty Artwork?
      All the Wolpertingers

Comment

If my son bought me any of those records for Father's Day he'd get a clip round the ear and told to sit down with the glitter, felt tips and cardboard until he'd made a crappy "Best Dad in the World" decoration I can hang from my car mirror.
        "Nirvana Unfuckingplugged? You're no son of mine."
        Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Nirvana unplugged was £9.99 on amazon last week.
          whats with these new albums all being at least £24? sod that. its all reissues, all already made their money, £24+ is a rip off.

i used to pick up the gins n roses album weekly for a quid... i need a bloody time machine

i checked out sainsburys for vinyl, all expensive and all the rare ones had already gone.

I'm going digital until this fad has passed over
          instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
            If my son bought me any of those records for Father's Day he'd get a clip round the ear and told to sit down with the glitter, felt tips and cardboard until he'd made a crappy "Best Dad in the World" decoration I can hang from my car mirror.
            "Nirvana Unfuckingplugged? You're no son of mine."
            Ha
            never been into nirvana but picked up said record in a collection I bought
            Took me a while to play it but when I did I thought it was brilliant

Comment

Well at least it's not naff pop. That's something I suppose. Best of Spice Girls etc. Manufacturing prices must be insane now!!

The title of the thread got me thinking about something else though..

Anyone else think that newer records (last 6-7 years?) don't sound as good as they probably could?
              I know there's the argument that labels might be pressing from 44.1 / 16bit smashed cd masters but I'm wondering if it's
              something to do with the change of chemicals in the vinyl itself?

If I had to put a number on it I'd say I'm disappointed with around 20% of the sound/pressing quality of new records.
              Maybe it's just me. Just seems to sound a bit harsher than I'd like.

This article from around last year was quite interesting. Different shops & labels giving their perspective over a 10 year period.
              Last edited by Great Day; 11-06-2018, 07:38 PM. Reason: wrong % !!

Comment

Nirvana = Dad Rock is all I am getting from this.
                All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Originally posted by Cacapo View Post
                  Nirvana = Dad Rock is all I am getting from this.
                  Well it is really. I bought 'Bleach' the year my daughter was born. Though if she were to try and buy me a father's (fathers'?) day record, there would be words. To clarfiy: the pic is from Dublin, so it's 24.99 euro - so what? about £22?

Those funny cars won't make the teardrops start/ but way up there is where she broke my heart

Comment

Originally posted by Paul-K View Post
                    Nirvana unplugged was £9.99 on amazon last week.
                    whats with these new albums all being at least £24?
                    Lidl are hoping that their customers are too stupid to notice?

"White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

As we all know, 'teen spirit' ripped off 'more than a feeling'. So, even in its day there was a suggestion of mutton dressed as lamb.

Perhaps Lidl got a load of them as part of a package. X tonnes of soap powder + 200K non-stick saucepans + 30K Nirvana Unplugged = deal!

Comment

I gave English classes to Lidl middle and senior managers when I was in Germany.
                        They were not Nirvana types in any way. The older ones were called Ingo and Rolf and were Audi/James Last /gin&tonic/ wifeswapping types and I met one of younger ones (Karsten, probably) hovering in a city centre CD shop devoted to Compost-style nu-jazz stuff. Perhaps we chatted briefly about Krüder & Dorfmeister remixes.
                        Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Lounge Cowboy View Post
                          As we all know, 'teen spirit' ripped off 'more than a feeling'.
                          take your pick

Strangely the 2nd band also did this song which is actually quite similar to G'N'Rs' Sweet Child..

Comment

Vinyl has slipped down the retail rankings in Holland and is now available from the cheapest of the cheap: Action!

Click image for larger version  Name:	action1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	149.4 KB ID:	1043919

The 8 titles available at 11.95 euro each are the EW&F and Presley LPs pictured above, Nirvana MTV Unplugged, AC/DC Razors Edge, Bob Marley's Leg End, Dylan Highway 61 Revisited, Johnny Cash Walk The Line comp, and a live Aerosmith LP. Some of these had Back2Black and Music On Vinyl stickers/logos on them, so they're not cheap Russian imports AFAIK.

Action are also selling the peerless (in the 29.95 range) Pulsar Wooden Turntable:

Click image for larger version  Name:	action2.jpg Views:	2 Size:	112.1 KB ID:	1043921

Click image for larger version  Name:	action3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	110.0 KB ID:	1043922

'Wooden' meaning wood finish (clearly its made of plastic).
                            The black model is not available, only the 'natural wood colour'.

So if you pick the right day, it might actually work out cheaper to fly RyanAir Dublin to Eindhoven, pick up a turntable on Hendrik Staetslaan, and then fly back home rather than pay 80-100 locally for a Crossley.

Attached Files
                            Last edited by Milesago; 12-06-2018, 01:40 PM. Reason: spelling
                            Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Originally posted by Paul-K View Post
                              I'm going digital until this fad has passed over
                              Oh right.

You might like this then?

Comment

Working...
                              X