10 10"s

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 10"s

Any love for the old (or modern) 10"s? Here are 10 of mine (trad jazz related). Some of them, I prefer the design of the cover than the music itself

¡A tope con la vida!

Yes, I'm quite drawn to the 10" record; it's a very nice size. I like the All Star Stompers cover. I'll try to snap some tomorrow.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

I have a few, some early Modern Jazz Quartet and other Jazz and my recent 'Teach Yourself Cornet' find. The local market has a huge pile at the moment, great covers but mostly oompah and classical. My issue is I never know where to store them. I need a dedicated 10" Expedit style box.
      Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

Originally posted by Carlitos View Post
        Any love for the old (or modern) 10"s? Here are 10 of mine (trad jazz related). Some of them, I prefer the design of the cover than the music itself
        Definitely. I went through a buy almost anything if it's a 10" phase. Got some strange looks from shop staff, though a lot of shops have a special box for them ... here's a few of mine (Click on images for titles etc):

"White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Click on images for titles etc.
          "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

'Perfume Set to Music' Great find. I feel I should have more Les Baxter not to mention Dr Samuel on 10" he did enough.

Oh and great idea for a thread I imagine HG has some oddball shizz on 10 inch vinyl.
            Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

I think it's my favourite format. LPs are a bit too long and boring, and 10"s are big enough to make the artwork striking. I love the David Stone Martin Bud Powell cover and the moody Chris Barber photo above, and the Dizzy Gillespie cover's great despite not featuring a. black people b. a trumpeter.

I'll try and snap the few I've got later. One of them is Turboellis's Chieri Emi /Tokyo Cuban Boys record, which I've raved about on here plenty of times before.

Also, my favourite record is a 10" . 1954 concept album, solo singer-songwriter masterpiece, foundation stone of Brazilian popular music and total work of art.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dorival-caymmi-cancoes-praieiras-00-420x420.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1043975
              Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

digging through the racks I turned up these old Jazzy ones

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

a right old mix - and there are more, especially 10" singles

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post

Clarence has the most egg-shaped head I've ever seen.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	515.0 KB ID:	1043996Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	580.8 KB ID:	1043988Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	658.4 KB ID:	1043981Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	551.9 KB ID:	1043982Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	573.0 KB ID:	1043983Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	531.7 KB ID:	1043984Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	656.3 KB ID:	1043986Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	711.7 KB ID:	1043989Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	539.9 KB ID:	1043990

I've got a couple of hundred 10"s. I don't play them much but I like them ok. Got a lot of modern stuff, reggae and dubstep, as well as some weird electronic and indie things from the 90s onwards when they seemed to be more prevalent..

Here's some that I deem to be a bit more interesting.

According to someone on Discogs the Broonzy 10" is the first vinyl blues record ever released. No idea if that's true or not. It was recorded in 1951 in Paris when BB was on tour.

My father used to bug me about 'Blues In 1890'... a song he remembered from his youth (he saw Broonzy at Wolverhamton Civic Hall sometime in the '50s). This was his favourite song. He knew I worked in radio and in record shops and kept asking me for this song. I could never source it but then eventually ran into someone with a huge Broonzy collection and I managed to obtain Blues in 1890 for him off this 10".

I think I paid £15, can't remember. Sadly- there's a scratch right on this particular track so I dubbed it onto computer and de-clicked it and then burnt it onto CDr for him.
                      When I gave it to him he didn't say much about it. After all that, wasn't very impressed. Strange.
                      Shortly after that he died and his records came to me so now I have it.
                      Last edited by bradx; 14-06-2018, 12:36 PM.
                      galaxy of fallon to telepath 1

Comment

Originally posted by Carlitos View Post
                        Plenty of love here for 10" records Carlitos - not just because they are the size of choice for reggae dubplates/slates - but for the music/sleeves like these 2 examples from my capsule 10" collection:

Comment

Originally posted by SirSlim View Post

Wow. I want that on a t-shirt

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Some really cool sleeves. My favourites, so far, are Joe Loco's, the Russian one, Perfume set to music and Dorival Caymmi.The colours are just amazing. For totally different reasons I love the Ewan McColl with its austere but powerful cover.

Here is another 10 10"s. A mix bag this time.

Colour vinyl with just the titles of the songs. No other information present.

¡A tope con la vida!

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1040057.JPG Views:	1 Size:	66.7 KB ID:	1044008Click image for larger version  Name:	P1040060.JPG Views:	1 Size:	72.7 KB ID:	1044011

Atlantic my arse! It's a UK label masquerading as a major

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1040056.JPG Views:	1 Size:	90.0 KB ID:	1044007Click image for larger version  Name:	P1040059.JPG Views:	1 Size:	73.9 KB ID:	1044010

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1040058.JPG Views:	1 Size:	112.3 KB ID:	1044009Click image for larger version  Name:	P1040063.JPG Views:	2 Size:	77.1 KB ID:	1044013

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1040061.JPG Views:	2 Size:	73.0 KB ID:	1044015Click image for larger version  Name:	P1040062.JPG Views:	2 Size:	67.9 KB ID:	1044017Click image for larger version  Name:	P1040065.JPG Views:	2 Size:	75.6 KB ID:	1044019Click image for larger version  Name:	P1040066.JPG Views:	2 Size:	42.8 KB ID:	1044021
                              'Songs of Corsica has a nice mechanism whereby the inner sleeve is pulled from the outer sleeve by a piece of dowel. I have
                              'Songs of Andalusia' too.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1040064.JPG Views:	2 Size:	78.7 KB ID:	1044023Click image for larger version  Name:	P1040067.JPG Views:	2 Size:	56.7 KB ID:	1044025

This is 'Songs' by Woo Ing Ing This is an Israeli 10" of 'Dancing and Playing Songs'
                              "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Working...
                              X