Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apparently the BBC series on Minimalism is crap. Anyone seen it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apparently the BBC series on Minimalism is crap. Anyone seen it?

In this Quietus article, it's alleged that many important musicians have been omitted.

The Trouble With Menimalism: Rescuing Histories From The Cutting Room Floor
    http://thequietus.com/articles/24245-minimalism-sexism

How badly did the BBC fuck up?
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

I enjoyed it but i don't know much about the genre or any ommissions of key people

Comment

Not a subject I know much about but I really enjoyed it. It was essentially a beginners guide to, and a chronological run through, the history of Minimalism in two parts. I'm sure they did leave stuff out, but it was well done. I would agree that Cocker's contribution was a bit irrelevant, but that was only about 5 minutes of the whole thing.

Comment

no, its crap apparently
        instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

It explored the genre by focusing on some key composers. It wasn’t aiming to be an authoritive history of the genre.

The point about female composers is maybe fair. If they were going to focus on a few key figures they didn’t all have to be male. It’s certainly far from representative in this field of music. There’s a fantastic opportunity for a similar documentary focusing on Laurie Spiegel, Pauline Oliveros, Eliane Radigue,etc.

Still worth watching though. The composers they do focus on are interesting characters and make good telly.

Comment

They was way too much in it.

Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

I thought it was pretty good, they were really looking at a few of the best-known figures, rather than trying to cover everything at a kitchen sink level. I thought that worked fine, if nothing else the segments with LaMonte Young and Terry Riley were worth it just for the beard styling tips.

Comment

Thanks eine.

We really do need some sort of roster system here. It isn't fair that the same few stalwarts always bear the dad joke burden.

Comment

Which of those two is that? Or is it just a paid actor doing a generic (and genderist) portrayal of a minimalist composer?

Comment

I think I remember watching it, was it sometime ago or was it a recent thing? It's a huge topic so I don't suppose they could cover everything. I suppose the lack of female representation as said is a valid point. I'm always left disappointed in some way by some of the BBC music documentaries. I think the best one was the 'Jazz Britannia' series they did. I also liked the 'Hawkwind' one as I was at the gig 'Lemmy' waxed lyrical about and he was totally right. I enjoyed the 'John Martyn' one too. There was a series years ago about improvisation hosted by 'Derek Bailey' which was superb. I used to have it somewhere, perhaps it was a 1980's thing. His down to earth approach was just brilliant, what a guy and what a musician.He truly encapsulated his art and his striving to just play without his head dictating his method, truly interesting and remarkable series. Thinking about it that could have been a 'Channel 4' thing.

As an aside while they are still up on iplayer ; 'Matt Berry Interviews' is proper funny and I was crying with laughter at the 'Uri Geller' one. 'Kenneth Williams' next. : https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b6zrkg

Also off topic, the fishing series with 'Bob Mortimer' and 'Paul Whitehouse' is great TV.
                    Last edited by amidar; 29-06-2018, 01:09 PM. Reason: Link etc.
                    Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Lounge Cowboy View Post
                      Which of those two is that? Or is it just a paid actor doing a generic (and genderist) portrayal of a minimalist composer?
                      That's LaMonte Young. Terry Riley's beard is less flamboyant, but his taste in hats is superior, I feel.

Comment

These bearded old gnomes can only dream of being as minimalist as BOHANNON

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

They didn't mention Bohannon either #TYPICALBBCBOHANNONBIAS

Comment

So, if the women had had better hats, they would have been in the series? I thought as much.

I hope I get a chance to see all the beards and hats. Better start hunting on Youtube.

Thanks for the info folks.

Turb
                            "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Originally posted by amidar View Post
                              Also off topic, the fishing series with 'Bob Mortimer' and 'Paul Whitehouse' is great TV.
                              I've really enjoyed it too. There was a piece of music used on the first episode during an aerial shot of the lake, just before "Sleepwalk", which I knew but couldn't place. Thought it might be early Fleetwood Mac but after a week I remembered what it was - Chuck Berry's "Deep Feeling" - surely an inspiration for "Albatross"?

North of the River Cole

Comment

Working...
                              X