Pink Floyd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pink Floyd

i didn't get Pink Floyd, especially the early stuff until last weekend when i saw the Pompeii gig on the tv.
    id never even heard the saucerfull of secrets album, until a few days ago.

so much amazing music out there still to be discovered.
    instagram.com/vinylhoard

I just watched the "Echoes" sequence. Funky Floyd!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul-K View Post
      i didn't get Pink Floyd, especially the early stuff until last weekend when i saw the Pompeii gig on the tv.

The performance of saucerful.... on live at pompeii is fricking incredible man

Comment

I have done a few mixes of Pink Floyd, one in particular has been pretty popular, word of mouth I guess

https://www.mixcloud.com/Gardener/pink-floyd-mix-ii/
        The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Originally posted by jay View Post

The performance of saucerful.... on live at pompeii is fricking incredible man
          that's what got me, and now its all clicked. I'm appreciating albums i didn't before. unfortunately i got rid of all their albums only last year apart from wish you were here. so that's my next task.

weird that its taken so long to click. ive been going back to them constantly to see why people like them so much.

instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

The one that clicked with me was the Atom Heart Mother Suite. I am a sucker for proggy Big Band third stream jams.

All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Yes Cacapo! My favourite Floyd LP of the last five years or so. Previously it was Piper and before that (for most of my life) WYWH. Beautiful LP. Never really digged DSOTM.

Still upset I didn't buy a Mono Piper for £100 when I could have done a few years back. Have very few record regrets, but that is one of them.
              Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Aeons ago when I was at school a girl got me into PF .... she taped a bunch of things for me. This would be about 74/75.
                We went to the cinema to see Live At Pompeii (my first proper date). The first film in a double bill was Leonard Cohen Bird On A Wire.
                Not knowing a great deal about LC back then I was bored and impatient for the Floyd. I'd like to see that film again though, as I gather it's quite rare now.
                This girl was going to see Floyd at Wembley with her brother ... but she got ill and was hospitalised so she gave me the ticket and I went instead.
                The Animals tour that was, 1977. Quite mindblowing for a youth.
                galaxy of fallon to telepath 1

Comment

Originally posted by bradx View Post
                  Aeons ago when I was at school a girl got me into PF .... she taped a bunch of things for me. This would be about 74/75.
                  We went to the cinema to see Live At Pompeii (my first proper date). The first film in a double bill was Leonard Cohen Bird On A Wire.
                  Not knowing a great deal about LC back then I was bored and impatient for the Floyd. I'd like to see that film again though, as I gather it's quite rare now.
                  This girl was going to see Floyd at Wembley with her brother ... but she got ill and was hospitalised so she gave me the ticket and I went instead.
                  The Animals tour that was, 1977. Quite mindblowing for a youth.
                  Went to see Roger waters play in glasgow few weeks ago. He played a fair bit of animals, always loved that album. Would love to have seen them all doing it too but alas I was only knee high.

Comment

that's what got me, and now its all clicked. I'm appreciating albums i didn't before. unfortunately i got rid of all their albums only last year apart from wish you were here. so that's my next task.

weird that its taken so long to click. ive been going back to them constantly to see why people like them so much.
                    Got doubles / trebles of most of them if you want to do the trading thing

Comment

Back around 77 / 78 a friend of mine somehow obtained some Animals sleeves from the pressing plant ..... but they were massive, uncut, back-to-back, double-ended things with printer's proofs etc.
                      He had them pinned on his wall for years and then eventually I suppose they got thrown away. We never thought about 'rarities' much in those days.

The Animals gig was pretty cosmic. They had quad sound, a big circular screen showing films behind them, inflatable pigs and an inflatable family hovering above. My memory is of an inflatable fridge with inflatable sausages that fell out ... but maybe I was hallucinating at that point. In the first part they played the whole of Animals and then in the 2nd half they played 'greatest hits' ... mainly from DSOTM and WYWH.

To be honest - I was more into punk at that point and PF represented to me more of a historical thing. It was really good and all ... but that thing about 'the spectacle'.
                      I was just an ant in that audience. And the band were like ants on the far-off stage. When you went to a punk gig you were part of it, not just an onlooker.
                      galaxy of fallon to telepath 1

Comment

Originally posted by bradx View Post
                        We went to the cinema to see Live At Pompeii (my first proper date).
                        My first proper girlfriend had a Saturday job in a record shop and using her staff discount I bought "atom heart mother" - I also took her to see the double bill of Crystal Voyager/Fantastic Planet at that underground cinema off Russel Square and on another visit there "the valley obscured by clouds"...

Pink Floyd music seemed to feature on most films back then

Comment

I was into Floyd when I was younger but it came a point especially with Roger Waters lyrics that I put them to one side, well post Syd Floyd anyway. I used to listen to 'Meddle' a lot though but for some reason never got into 'Atom Heart Mother' and now it's one of my favorite albums by them with it's big band thing going, it's quite mad.

I'll say it though DSOTM is an incredible album but I don't see the attraction of wanting to own a zillion different versions of it I just have an early run from the first year minus the merch. If I get a new turntable or new amp, that record goes on first. It's a great record for testing hifi's in a full on MOJO stylee I think everything they did got steadily worse after that.
                          Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

Funny you say this

pompeii was also my introduction to Pink Floyd .

must've been 15 years ago , when I was still living with my parents. I had just smoked a joint outside and turned on the tv. Tuned on to the local music station and some thing was playing, with guys running through volcanoes and playing at an Amphitheatre. Kept watching , mesmerised, not really knowing who I was watching. It's only when the end credits came that I knew it was Pink Floyd. Suddenly it all made sense why so many people where into them . Even though I've seen em live in 94 when I was rather young (only song I knew by them was another brick in the wall)

even though it's not an official album live at pompeii is in my top 5 albums of all time . Desert island disc for sure . The definite versions of Echoes , Eugene , saucerful, one of these days and controls.

Obviously turned me on to their other albums . Loving the Syd era, Animals , meddle etc.

Funny to see how proficient they got at their instruments cause Nick and Roger were mediocre at best when they started out.

and Echoes should be played at my funeral .

Comment

It is the definitive version of 'Echoes'. I'm straining to remember if I saw Pompei first or heard 'Meddle. It would have been days or weeks between as a mate had a crummy VHS recorded off TV and 'Meddle on CD. Same as Mescal and Brad it really tuned me into them. I never much cared for 'The Well though both the album and the film.
                              Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

Working...
                              X