Straight No Chaser returns.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Straight No Chaser returns.

Some of you might like to know Straight No chaser is back. It actually returned last year but I was completely unaware of it. I blame Sir Slim- I bet he could have told me. Issue 99 is just out and it's like it never went away- looks just the same, covering the same scene etc. Pretty pricey but it's a big old thing. I really missed it when it folded so I'm thrilled to see it back. If anyone has a copy of issue 98 they want to flog me I'd be over the moon; I've still got all my old ones- cue Mrs Shere Khan "When are you going to get rid of these old magazines". Poor old thing; she just doesn't understand.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
    Some of you might like to know Straight No chaser is back. It actually returned last year but I was completely unaware of it. I blame Sir Slim- I bet he could have told me. Issue 99 is just out and it's like it never went away- looks just the same, covering the same scene etc. Pretty pricey but it's a big old thing. I really missed it when it folded so I'm thrilled to see it back. If anyone has a copy of issue 98 they want to flog me I'd be over the moon; I've still got all my old ones- cue Mrs Shere Khan "When are you going to get rid of these old magazines". Poor old thing; she just doesn't understand.
    I thought you were having me on there SK but no it's true...

https://straightnochaser.bigcartel.com/product/snc99

Is Paul Bradshaw still at the helm? Met him back in 1983 at Dave Hucker's "Dance Dive" night at the lengendary Sol-Y-Sombra - I think he was writing for NME back then?

I too bought SNC religiously from the start but stopped well before the last issue, unlike you have only kept issues 1 and 2.

Always used to turn to the DJ/Club charts pages first on receipt of a new issue...

Comment

Yep, It's still Bradshaw. It's pricey but I wasn't disappointed. To me it's a bit like hearing they've starting printing 'The Listener' again- i miss that mag too. There's great art, and photographs as usual. A great piece on Japanese Jazz cafes. Money well spent, I thought- but maybe not if you didn't like the later issues. Four pages of charts for you, though
      "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
        Yep, It's still Bradshaw. It's pricey but I wasn't disappointed. To me it's a bit like hearing they've starting printing 'The Listener' again- i miss that mag too. There's great art, and photographs as usual. A great piece on Japanese Jazz cafes. Money well spent, I thought- but maybe not if you didn't like the later issues. Four pages of charts for you, though

To say I was obsessed by the charts pages back then would be an understatement! In those pre email/internet days they would contain crucial info on tunes heard on the radio or in the clubs of the time to enable the hunt to commence. When running our Jazzin' at Vic's night circa 1993, I used to write a monthly letter to SNC with a chart (or 3) included - unfortunately none were deemed worthy of inclusion. A couple of years ago in a sort out I found some of said charts on some floppy discs - I think I'll stick some up now in the charts section here as a time capsule...

Comment

I liked it early on but got fed up around the late 90s. Definitely seems like the right time to revive it now, though, with all this jazz stuff in London.
          I've got a stack somewhere, including a run of the first 20 or so. I thought they'd be GOLD DUST by now, but sadly not.
          My favourite piece was an interview with Joao Donato who was clearly having a massive row with his missus. I still go through the charts these days now that you can find tunes on Youtube in five seconds. It was a little harder to track stuff down in those days.
          Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Working...
          X