Carlitos' Charity Shop Challenge 2018 Worthing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carlitos' Charity Shop Challenge 2018 Worthing

This year I decided to do a zero carbon footprint CSC so I chose Worthing. I also wanted to share with you the oppulent beauty of my hometown.

I will have 2 rules for this challenge: First rule, in order to help the charities getting rid of all those awful records that are always there, week by week, this time I will buy them. Period.

The second rule will be to put some coins in all the animals lookalike donation boxes I could find.

And here we go, a tenner in the pocket and the best of hopes in my mind. I crossed fingers with the Natinal Lottery symbol next to my first charity shop. One of many Worthing Scopes.

No records there so we move a bit forward to the next one.

The records weren't too bad there, I almost liked them. Following my autoimposed first rule, I didn't buy any. I will have plenty of time and opportunity to find real awful stinkers.

My next charity shop automatically invokes the second rule. This greedy charming bear has one slot on each ear. Dutifully I insert 2 coins.

Wow, they have new stuff. I wish I hadn't self-imposed that ridiculous first rule.

So here we go, I will have the Liberace and Jim Reeves lps, please.

Once outside, I realise the greedy charming bear has an extra slot on her tummy. Another coin goes down there. Cheers, little bear.

Worthing Cat Welfare is closed!. I was looking forward to put some money in their plastic cat.

Now we are in West Worthing, the rich part of town.

But nothing awful in that record box so I left it untouched. No animal donation boxes either.

Guild Care doesn't have any records...

.. but if you are into knitting, you are in paradise.

I don't do knitting so I move to the next shop. Dog Trust and their trusty polycarbonate dog. The money goes through the tennis ball in its mouth.

They also have new records! Excellent.

And here we go, is this record awful or what? Can you get something worse for a quid? I'll have it please.

I love Mind's logo.

They have some 7"s on display.

Unfortunately they don't have any awful record or animal collection boxes so I move to the next shop.

Some records there, maybe something really hideous I will have to buy?

Yeah, another Liberace's copy of the same record (and with the same sticker on the front). Unbeliable. I will have to have it.

West Worthing's Oxfam always have had a good array of records so my expectations are low.

The records look pretty decent. If I wasn't doing the CSC I will buy all of them without hesitation.

But wait, what is this? Another one hits the bag...

Another Guild Care but no records, plastic animals with slots or knitting wool can be found there. Disappointing.

Cats Protection is my favourite charity shop. I always manage to get something there.

Their 7"s box looks quite promising.

Soon awful records start to crop. Here are the highlights.

Next to Cats Protection there is a second hand comics and DVD shop.

Technically it isn't a charity shop but hey, they have a giant Kung Fu panda replica outside and I am not going to miss this oportunity. I adore Kung Fu panda!

I look around but the only slot I can find is on his backside.

When I try to insert the coin in this kinda round slot, out of the blue, he turns around and kicks me so hard that I lose conscience.

Next thing I remember I am back on my feet.

When asked, the shop owners insists they never had a Kung Fu panda statue.

I think he is lying. I have the picture.

¡A tope con la vida!

Great pics!

Look like some reasonable records you passed up there, too.

Now the big question - are you going to listen to Richard Clayderman and co?

Comment

Great stuff - should certainly be a challenge listening to all that lot. I hope you sneakily also purchased the Herbolzheimer and Nino Ferrer LPs in the first shop though (Oxfam too but I'm presuming theirs were more pricey).
      Boy George knew my father

Comment

also the Toots and the Lord Comic 45s (and whatever else was in the reggae box)

I was wondering if the real purchases were the ones cheekily edging into the shots

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post

I was wondering if the real purchases were the ones cheekily edging into the shots
          Let's say that, if this CSC was a book, I will file it under fiction

I should have added a warning to the threat: "All records found in this CSC are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual records found in those premises, is purely coincidental."

¡A tope con la vida!

Comment

Ha ha ha, excellent work. *goes to Worthing, just in case*

Comment

just looked up what that John Bull Breed 45 goes for...

Comment

And the game has started. Name all the decent records lurking around these pictures.

WARNING: The following posts will contains spoilers, before seeing what other people found, you should go back to the first picture and try to spot as many as you can unaided.

The price for the best spotter will be my spare copy of Liberace's New Sounds.
                ¡A tope con la vida!

Comment

Nip back to Age UK and get that Prince of Heaven's Eyes booklet, will ya?

And while yer at it, get The Pupils LP, the mono Animal Tracks, Chocolate Soup for Diabetics Vol.3, that Stereolab 10", Dinosaur Jr's 2nd LP . . . hang on a minute! Something fishy here . . .

Last edited by Milesago; 11-09-2018, 06:51 PM. Reason: Rodent detection
                  Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Ha! On the train atm but:
                    2 trinidad and tobago folk lps
                    dina viery
                    ike and tina lp and 45
                    chocate soup comp
                    stereolab lo boob oscillator?
                    derrick morgan
                    phoenix city

Comment

Originally posted by Milesago View Post
                      Nip back to Age UK and get that Prince of Heaven's Eyes booklet, will ya?
                      It would fit nicely with the 2 records behind the Specials Illustrated Songbook, don't you think?
                      ¡A tope con la vida!

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
                        Ha! On the train atm but:
                        2 trinidad and tobago folk lps
                        dina viery
                        ike and tina lp and 45
                        chocate soup comp
                        stereolab lo boob oscillator?
                        derrick morgan
                        phoenix city
                        Phoenix City on Picadilly? Who could be the artist?
                        ¡A tope con la vida!

Comment

In the Worthing scope shop the Tommy Quickly 45 titled The Tip of My Tounge is £150 on dis cogs and The Rolling Stones tribute LP by the Pupils goes for £40. Now the Mind shop, the Jimmy Winston and his reflections demo- Sorry Shes Mine is £450 on dis cogs. The cats protection league shop had a 45 by Lord Comic title rhythm rebellion on the bamboo label that is £63 on dis cogs plus you ignored the blue beat single there. In the Mind shop, the demo by the John bull breed can't chance a breakup has sold for £450 going by popsike. The Elvis demo you'll never walk alone is worth between £40 to £100 according to popsike. Oh, there was a Toots and the Maytells 45 in the cats protection league called Funky Kingston £40 on dis cogs. So you walked past records worth £1,000!
                          eat chocolate-creams with the appetite of a blase parrot. H H Munro.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlitos View Post

It would fit nicely with the 2 records behind the Specials Illustrated Songbook, don't you think?
                            Yes it would, but I only need the booklet! But OK, if you insist
                            And don't forget the mono Animal Tracks!
                            Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Ooh it's the john schroeder phoenix city, didn't notice the label

trying to recognise who the jazz quartet are on the 10" are now...

Comment

Working...
                              X