Message to the admins: PHP5.6 is End of Life at end December 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Message to the admins: PHP5.6 is End of Life at end December 2018

I know that won't be very popular with the admins, but the version of php we are using, v5.6, is entering End of Life at the end of December 2018, after which no security updates will be issued, leaving us open to any new security problems found in php5 after that, so we really need to update our php to version 7.

A response and confirmation from one of the admins would be appreciated.

If there was a better place to put these system related conversations, I would use it, but it seems there isn't.

Turbo
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

What in God's name is that? Is it something which is allied to the version of V Bulletin we use and so would be automatically updated by them? I thought we were paying them to do the work now? What do I know; I'm a tech ignoramus. Ashra is the tech-admin- wizard around here, I believe.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

PHP's the language VBulletin is written in, the server will need to have a newer version of PHP installed.
      No idea how the site's been set up or where it's running, but happy to help with any tech stuff if needed.

Comment

I understood that moving to the new V Bulletin, and paying them money, meant any upgrades would be sorted when needed by them. That's how I read it anyway in this post. Mind you, that was over a year ago. I don't know how much money got paid in so I don't if we are still paying. Looks like alanmck might have the answer to that one.
        Last edited by Shere Khan; 23-10-2018, 08:25 AM.
        "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

you are right, it's now running on VBulletin Cloud, so their servers and their problem. Can't see anything from a quick look on the vbulletin site or forums about the issue though

Comment

Bugger, thought I'd sent the link:
            https://www.vbulletin.com/en/faq/
            Scroll down to:
            What PHP versions does vBulletin support ?

Also says: Note: PHP versions prior to php 5.6 are now End Of Life and not supported by PHP. PHP 5.6.X enter end of life on December 31, 2018.

Per-Turb-ed

Comment

yeah, but that's for people running vbulletin themselves, I couldn't see any mention of what they are planning to do about PHP versions in relation to the hosted ("Cloud") version. I guess a positive sign is that they are aware of it at least...

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
                yeah, but that's for people running vbulletin themselves, I couldn't see any mention of what they are planning to do about PHP versions in relation to the hosted ("Cloud") version. I guess a positive sign is that they are aware of it at least...
                Well, it's for everyone, so I hope we'll see a bit of action from them soonish. It's surprising that they're running 2 major versions behind in their own cloud. If I have time tomorrow, I'll try to shoot them a mail. I don't have any contract details so they might not bother to answer ...

Comment

Originally posted by Turboellis View Post

Well, it's for everyone, so I hope we'll see a bit of action from them soonish.
                  I meant that FAQ question is aimed at people installing it themselves, there's nothing relating to the matter for cloud users

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post

I meant that FAQ question is aimed at people installing it themselves, there's nothing relating to the matter for cloud users
                    I understood what you meant. What I was trying to say was that the company who is hosting our BBS better get their skates on and get php updated in the next 5 weeks, because if we get hacked and VG+ goes down because they didn't get their shit together in time, it'll be more hassle to sort it out after the fact.

Comment

Working...
                    X