Scottish(?) NWOB(S?)HM discovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish(?) NWOB(S?)HM discovery

Hello all, does anybody know anything about this metal/rock lp I found recently? Searches on Google/Discogs/Youtube etc have found nothing. I contacted a man named Michael J Whelan, who is named as the main writer for the group, but it was only a namesake. From the info on the insert, it seems the band were from Selkirk in Scotland or somewhere close. It was recorded in 1989 but it sounds like it was recorded in 1979. They sound like they're having fun and sound like big fans of the metal/rock of the day like Maiden/Judas Priest etc. The cover is hand painted/printed. Some tracks are pretty good I think, full of youthful vim and vigour...Anyone?

blimey, thats a tricky one, nothing even turned up in the https://www.metal-archives.com
    well done for finding it and good luck in finding out more
    The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Thanks HG!

Comment

I have this Digger...bought in Glasgow(I think) in the 90's. Mine is in a plain white sleeve though.

Comment

Thank you Harvey Mettle! Was it something you'd run into often in Scotland ? If you have any more information on your copy or even just a comment on the music, any two-peneth is appreciated. Thanks again!

Comment

To be honest DD, I haven't played it in years, so I can't actually remember it. It'll be in the loft somewhere. I moved from Scotland in '87ish with just a couple of home visits via Glasgow a couple of times a year since. I'll ask my mate Malc. If anybody knows anything about obscure metal it's him. I'll get back to on that.

Comment

That'd be great HM, thanks!

Comment

I also have a copy of this, purchased in Cheapo Cheapo Records (RIP) in London sometime in the 90s.
                Unfortunately I know nothing more about them, sorry.
                Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Thanks Milesago!

Comment

I've never heard of it before but am very interested now given my love (?) of all things Scottish and private press. What actually is the name of the band and the track?

Comment

Hello dukowski83, it's an album entitled 'We make no excuses' and the group's name is Three 57. It's a very DIY metal/rock sound, which highlights the groups live performances and arrangements. These guys put a lot of garage hours into this I reckon. There are some wafty bits but they're pretty blistering when they put their foot on the monitor. Think Iron Maiden on a shoe string, with the odd keyboard and a male and female vocalist.. That's the best description I can do for now, without getting too bogged down or wordy. I hope you can find one!
                      PS. The last old Scottish private thing I found that I enjoyed was a track called 'Chinese Whispers' from an album called 'Reporting...' by guitarist David Allison, recorded in Dunkeld, Perthshire. A nice long delay pedal /Terry Riley plays guitar kind of thing...
                      https://www.discogs.com/David-Alliso...elease/7279392
                      Thanks dukowski83!

Comment

I'll need to give both a shot if I can come across them. Summer is my main digging season (picked up about 120 Scottish private presses this summer - mix of 45s and LPs) so things are moving back on to Discogs and such like for me just now and fillings post punk/ new wave gaps in my collection

Comment

A male and a female singer, eh? Can't think of any other metal band from that era who did that. Would be most interesting to hear some.
                          Find yourself a rainbow, a song a day and you won't grow old.

Comment

The band were based in Hawick and Selkirk and played across the Scottish Borders for a couple of years. They often played biker bars and that circuit and were school friends initially with an extra couple of accomplices. The LP was pretty much totally DIY and recorded on reel to reel in bedrooms and rudimentary studios. Played Edinburgh at least once at the Lord Darnley and then went their separate ways - a couple to function bands, another couple to a series of rock and blues based bands. Some are still recording today. Finally managed to track down the band members and get a spare copy from one of them.

Comment

Working...
                            X