Chaquito

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chaquito

I think Chaquito always delivers the goods. What is your top Chaquito track? I think mine is 'It Takes A Thief'. I especially like the bit in the middle where it drops into waltz time and then a funky organ and swinging drums let it loose again-that's the money-shot for me, although it's such a great tune anyway the way the main line goes uuuuupppp then doooowwwwnnnn like a horn section going over a succession of hump-backed bridges. Des Champ does a good one too, but not as good as Chaquito. My Chaquito collection is not exhaustive so I'm sure people can point me at stuff I don't even know.

"You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

My Chaquito collection is very poor - only "Revolution" and "Viva Chaquito" (and only the late 60s reissue of the latter). They are pretty good though. I had another two but they turned out to be budget reissues of them both.

Looks like Spies and Dolls is another one to get - the version of They Call Me Mr Tibbs was on one of the Karminsky CDs.

(Why are John Gregory's records under his own name usually so dull?)

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
      (Why are John Gregory's records under his own name usually so dull?)
      How could someone called John Gregory ever compete with someone called Chaquito? Even when he's just a name Chaquito sounds like he's having a great time, dancing in the sun, whereas John Gregory is just getting ready to open the door of his stationary supply business. In fairness to JG there is his super 'Detectives' LP although I think he must have been in a studio next to Chaquito at the time, and nicked those charts out of his bag when his back was turned.

Chaquito does a great Upa Neguinho which is like a runaway train. I must be a bit simple in the head because I can't get enough of this sort of stuff.

Comment

a lot of his LPs are just under the name "Gregory" as if he's some great conductor or bandleader, which always looks a bit funny to me, with it being a first name as well.

Just remembered another I don't have: "A Man For All Seasons", which definitely has some very non-dull numbers

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post

Just remembered another I don't have: "A Man For All Seasons", which definitely has some very non-dull numbers
          Yes, excellent- but one side a lot better than the other.

Comment

I love 'Cha Cha Ottavo' an early Chaquito b-side. Very haunting piano notes that captures the British 50s dance band 'mechanical latin' vibe that I dig. Can't find YouTube, but there's an Amazon snippet. You can just pick out that piano! Killer track and well worth the 49p you will find it on 7" for.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rey-Del-Cha.../dp/B01CT6NSZG
            There's another snippet on Discogs: https://s.discogs.com/sell/audio/138559546.mp3
            Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by eine View Post
              I love 'Cha Cha Ottavo' an early Chaquito b-side. Very haunting piano notes that captures the British 50s dance band 'mechanical latin' vibe that I dig. Can't find YouTube, but there's an Amazon snippet. You can just pick out that piano! Killer track and well worth the 49p you will find it on 7" for.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rey-Del-Cha.../dp/B01CT6NSZG
              There's another snippet on Discogs: https://s.discogs.com/sell/audio/138559546.mp3
              Yes, that's great, plus even I could play the piano part.

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
                In fairness to JG there is his super 'Detectives' LP although I think he must have been in a studio next to Chaquito at the time, and nicked those charts out of his bag when his back was turned.
                Haha, that Detectives album is one of my all time favorites. I've been fiending for the Man For All Seasons album lately, still don't have that one.
                See, you don't get those haircuts on your mp3s.

Comment

Originally posted by spirito santo View Post
                  Haha, that Detectives album is one of my all time favorites. I've been fiending for the Man For All Seasons album lately, still don't have that one.
                  JAGUWARRRRRRRRRRRRR

Comment

I only recall having seen one in either name here. Inevitably, it was AMfAS, the local edition. It was in the 'electronic' section of the shop in question.

"Jaguar" is my 'case in point' track to illustrate the idea of 'music for sophisticated people going places'. That being how I justify hogging the CD player on any car journey of significant length. "A Face in the Clouds" probably features too.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Lounge Cowboy View Post
                      music for sophisticated people going places
                      That is a textbook description of me.

Got this one recently off the marvellous Benicio Del Toffo, during one of his freebie rounds. It sounds like there are elephants and tigers in the room.

Comment

that's one of the reissues of Viva Chaquito: https://www.discogs.com/Chaquito-Viv.../master/710256

it's a good one whatever

Comment

Love all the clips so far. It's surprisingly hard to get hold of Chaquito albums with original covers.

For me, I love Un Otra Vez from the 'Chaquito Magic' album - builds up into a frenzy of skronky sax, piano hammering, trumpet tumult, all lubricated nicely with yelps, cuica abuse, organ stabs and some castinet clatter.

Comment

Yep, I'd pull that from a $1 bin quickly enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonovox View Post
                              Love all the clips so far. It's surprisingly hard to get hold of Chaquito albums with original covers.

For me, I love Un Otra Vez from the 'Chaquito Magic' album - builds up into a frenzy of skronky sax, piano hammering, trumpet tumult, all lubricated nicely with yelps, cuica abuse, organ stabs and some castinet clatter.

That's one I don't have- maybe because the cover doesn't inspire confidence. I see it also has 'Cherokee' on it which you would imagine has to be good.

Speaking of original covers I like this alternate cover for Latin Favourites although is that a woman, or a man?

Comment

Working...
                              X