New edition of Galactic Ramble

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New edition of Galactic Ramble

I don't think this has been flagged before: http://www.galacticramble.co.uk/

If my secret santa is reading . . . bingo!

OK, so it's is a bit outside the agreed budget...

OK, OK, its 10 times the agreed budget, I get it, rules are rules, no exceptions.
    Nevermind then!

Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Jeez. That is pricey. How big is that book? (seriously, the website doesnt say.)
      All the Wolpertingers

Comment

"well over a million words". So it's less than a pound per 10000 words. I think I'll stump up for it, I've got massive value from the 1st edition

Comment

Originally posted by Cacapo View Post

Jeez. That is pricey. How big is that book? (seriously, the website doesnt say.)
          Well the website says it's "more than twice as long" as the original, suggesting its less than 3 times as long, so between 2-3 times the size of the original, which was 550 pages. It's going to be a thick book.

I'd love to get it but it's pricey. It's a pity there isnt an update edition available, containing just the additions to the previous book. Borderline did this with their books, at one point.

Comment

Anyone know if there's going to be a standard version available at any point?
            http://www.mixcloud.com/garethhayes/
            http://www.mixcloud.com/BangShangALang/
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/197897397221/

Comment

Got mine ordered. Promised myself I'd get it when published. I'm a sucker for limited edition hardbacks like this, particularly if I know I'll get a lot of use from the info within. My other favourite like this is Mario Panciera's "45 Revolutions", basically the bible of early punk releases.

Comment

Copies of the original book, which has been scarce and pricey secondhand for some time now, have started popping up online (on ebay, bookfinder, etc.) as people upgrade. They're a lot cheaper than they were but are still at around 50 quid plus. Surely the price will fall further as more copies emerge?

Comment

I sprung for the new one, despite the brutal postage to the USA. Despite the claim that this will be the final edition, I'd be willing to bet that it's still nowhere near complete. I'd be happy to be surprised, though. However, I wish that instead of making an updated volume which includes the information already published in the first edition, that they would have instead published a Vol. 2 which carried on from the first volume, but was exclusive in the information provided. All new entries, guv.

That would have undoubtedly been too buyer friendly a way to approach things.
                  https://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Comment

How do people rate the previous version compared to Tapestry of Delights (Vols 1&2) by Vernon Joynson? Not read Galactic Ramble but ToD has been a really useful reference book and guide for me.

Comment

Originally posted by moecurlythanu View Post
                      Despite the claim that this will be the final edition, I'd be willing to bet that it's still nowhere near complete. I'd be happy to be surprised, though.
                      I think it's pretty close. I've seen the nearly-final draft, and I can't immediately spot anything that's been missed. I even went through my box of 10" acetates and reviewed all the UK ones. If I sifted through my entire UK collection, I might find a handful of £10 private pressing that didn't make it in, but it's down to that level of completeness.

Originally posted by moecurlythanu View Post
                      However, I wish that instead of making an updated volume which includes the information already published in the first edition, that they would have instead published a Vol. 2 which carried on from the first volume, but was exclusive in the information provided. All new entries, guv.
                      Whilst I think most of the other writers' contributions remain unchanged, I re-listened to a lot of stuff and rewrote many dozens of reviews, so there's a fair bit of new stuff in there. (New to the book, anyway — those rewritten reviews are on my website already.)

Comment

Originally posted by Mactheruss View Post
                        How do people rate the previous version compared to Tapestry of Delights (Vols 1&2) by Vernon Joynson? Not read Galactic Ramble but ToD has been a really useful reference book and guide for me.
                        I'm one of the authors of "Galactic Ramble", so I'm hardly unbiased, but they're complementary. "Tapestry Of Delights" is a superb overview of the UK rock scene, but Vernon hasn't heard many of the albums he cites. In contrast, "Galactic Ramble" is a vast collection of album reviews, acting more as a buyer's guide.
                        Last edited by Richard Falk; 03-12-2018, 09:37 PM. Reason: Typo.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Falk View Post
                          I'm one of the authors of "Galactic Ramble", so I'm hardly unbiased, but they'/re complementary. "Tapestry Of Delights" is a superb overview of the UK rock scene, but Vernon hasn't heard many of the albums he cites. In contrast, "Galactic Ramble" is a vast collection of album reviews, acting more as a buyer's guide.
                          Thanks Richard - that’s helpful. Sounds like I’d better start saving up for a copy

Comment

Mrs Milesago has agreed to knit me one for Xmas. Sorted.

Comment

Working...
                            X