Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling VG+ detectives - any clues on who might have recorded this 60s acetate?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Calling VG+ detectives - any clues on who might have recorded this 60s acetate?

    Hi all - I picked up a mystery 1960s acetate on eBay recently, and would love to know who the band are, when it was recorded and anything else about those playing on it.
    Have a listen and see what you think. I have my theories and have one line of enquiry out there at the moment, but I'd be fascinated to hear your thoughts ...


  • #2
    I thought it sounded like The Move.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
      I thought it sounded like The Move.
      My thoughts exactly. Initially I had hopes of a forgotten Bowie demo, but then the style and vocal pointed me to Fire Brigade/Blackberry Way era Move, with Roy Wood taking the lead. If it's not them, it's a bunch of chancers doing their best to sound like 'em. Anyone else got any views?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Mactheruss View Post
        Hi all - I picked up a mystery 1960s acetate on eBay recently
        I occasionally pick up white label records even if I can't identify the matrix number. On those occasions, it's usually a disaster, classical music or old ladies screaming ...

        and then there was my Pink Floyd white label 7" ... I think I'll give up that hobby ...

        was it expensive?


        "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

        Comment


        • #5
          Ace Kefford?...
          you can hear colours when they rhyme...

          Comment


          • #6
            It would have been a hit.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Turboellis View Post

              I occasionally pick up white label records even if I can't identify the matrix number. On those occasions, it's usually a disaster, classical music or old ladies screaming ...

              and then there was my Pink Floyd white label 7" ... I think I'll give up that hobby ...

              was it expensive?

              Just shy of £20. So, given the fun I've had with it, and the quest it's started me on ... no, not expensive really. It was a bit of a punt. I don't own any other white label jobs.
              But I'd love to crack the mystery and find out who recorded it. I'll look up Ace Kefford.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Mactheruss View Post

                Just shy of £20. So, given the fun I've had with it, and the quest it's started me on ... no, not expensive really. It was a bit of a punt. I don't own any other white label jobs.
                But I'd love to crack the mystery and find out who recorded it. I'll look up Ace Kefford.
                For the enjoyment you've had, I'd say that's a bargain ...

                Are you getting any closer? Nothing to do with the Petula Clark song of the same name or any other? Surely not ...

                What about the year? Are you any closer than 1960s? Any tell tale signs?


                "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Turboellis View Post

                  For the enjoyment you've had, I'd say that's a bargain ...

                  Are you getting any closer? Nothing to do with the Petula Clark song of the same name or any other? Surely not ...

                  What about the year? Are you any closer than 1960s? Any tell tale signs?

                  I put a message through to (hopefully) Roy Wood via his Facebook group, but I'm guessing said gentleman is up to his ears in glitter and fake snow at this time of year, so I'm not surprised I've had no reply.
                  Definitely nothing like the Petula song, so can rule her out.
                  Year-wise, I'm inclining strongly towards 1967/68. While there is a beat-y vibe to it, the vocal is so reminiscent style and tone-wise of a Roy Wood/Carl Wayne circa Fire Brigade/Blackberry Way era that if it isn't them, it's someone trying to sound like 'em.
                  Add to that the distinctly flower power/whimsical/psych trippiness of the chorus lyric ("Everything in the garden is yellow, now I'm not a happy fellow any more") and I think we can narrow it down with some confidence to 67-68.
                  Musically, there's a jaunty piano bed to it, and a slightly half baked guitar solo towards the end, but I think the vocal gives the biggest clue.
                  I've now changed the YouTube video from unlisted to public, so we'll see if anyone else has any idea ...

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X