XLR connections?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XLR connections?

Back in the '90s I had a new Sony DAT deck which proved to be wildy unreliable and which was long ago consigned to the attic. I'd like to get some stuff rescued from the tapes I have but looking at the prices to get the deck serviced and repaired - if it can be - I'm thinking a good second hand one might be an option instead. Looking around I'm seeing quite a few professional decks which have XLR connectors rather than RCA ones, so my question to the hi-fi and tech heads is, will these work with a normal hi-fi amp? I've seen XLR to RCA cables for sale, but is it as simple as that?

North of the River Cole

I'm not a tech head but I think it is as simple as that. I've got Naim amps which need XLR but they're just 'normal' at the other end- Technics tape deck for instance.
    "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Yep. My amp to mixer uses that and it works fine. Might be a techy reason why it's wrong but I'm happy enough.

Comment

Originally posted by v66ald View Post
        Yep. My amp to mixer uses that and it works fine. Might be a techy reason why it's wrong but I'm happy enough.
        You lose the balanced connection afaik.

Comment

Great - that's a lot easier then

North of the River Cole

Comment

I'd transfer it via the digital output instead. No need to DA-AD it again.
            Set your recorder to receive the clock source from the dat machine. Set the sample rate (44.1 or 48) and you're good to go.

Comment

I have a digital cable somewhere still I think. I have vague memories though of trying to use it to record from the DAT to CD-R and it missing the very start of the track off?

North of the River Cole

Comment

ha yeah, I think I did that once going dat to dat because it was writing the markings/start points wrongly by a split second.

I've transferred to cd-r from dat before with no problems. Just press record on the cdr shortly before you press play on the dat.
                Once you've got the file off the cdr you can edit beginnings and endings. There should be no loss of quality.
                The only thing to check is if you did the dat @ 44.1 or 48k as the cd deck might not have the ability to switch to 48k.

Comment

I don't remember switching between 44.1k and 48k, so whatever the default setting was - if there was one - it was a long time ago...

North of the River Cole

Comment

Yes this is fine. There are two aspects of XLR connections - one is that they'll be sending balanced audio, but a properly made XLR-to-RCA cable will short that out correctly and you'll get unbalanced audio. The other is the line level may be slightly different : XLR connections are typically on professional equipment which uses +4dBu, whereas RCA is on consumer gear which is -10dBv. In practice this means nothing other than a small adjustment in levels. So in short : go for it!

Comment

Working...
                    X