Agnes Varda

Comment

Goodbye Doris Day...

Comment

Roky Erickson

​​​​​

Comment

RIP Roky
          Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

RIP Dr John

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
              RIP Dr John

just heard this

Comment

I think we're getting used to the fact that musicians we love(d) also have to die ...
                I always hope it's after they pass their peak and it's obvious they have nothing important left to say musically ...
                Maybe that's selfish but they're musicians & that's our primary connection to them ...
                "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

RIP Gary Duncan of Quicksilver Messenger Service.

Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Joao Gilberto...a giant.

"You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
                      Joao Gilberto...a giant.

Gilberto is one of those people that I thought had already gone. But towards the end, he kept out of the public eye, they said.

Well, after you've invented a genre of music, I think you're probably entitled to a bit of a lie-down, innit?

Comment

Joao Gilberto...a giant.

Indeed.

Great piece worth reading here: http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...-of-bossa-nova

Comment

Joao Gilberto...a giant.

Comment

The loveliest tribute to Joao Gilberto was written 50 years ago.

"You and me both, Joao,
                            The Victrola turning without stopping
                            And the dissonant world that both of us
                            Are trying to invent
                            A felicidade..."

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Johnny Clegg the “White Zulu” died of cancer yesterday. Very sad as he was only 66 years old but had been suffering with cancer for some years.

My wife spent many years living in South Africa before I met her and she introduced me to his music. To be honest I scoffed at it a bit at first but gradually I got to like his music and between us owned nearly all his records. Of course his style changed over the years but his music always retained a very South African flavour to it. It introduced me to South African music and i’ve gone on to explore much more of it.

About 4 years ago we visited South Africa and by chance Johnny was playing an open air concert nearby. It was a wonderful day, beautiful weather, a lovely atmosphere and of course he put on a really great show. His passion for equality for all was really evident as he talked about his experiences during apartheid between songs. He came across s a lovely caring man who was proud of the country he lived in and the transitions it has made in recent decades. He led an extraordinary life, coming from a Lancashire mill town and ending up as one of South Africa’s nation treasures. His stories of his antics during the apartheid years, when, as a small boy, he would sneak off from his house at night to go dance and play music in some very shady no-go areas of South Africa are legendary. He only got away with it because he was so young and some of the guys were fond of him and protected him like a father would.

His last album was probably one of the best he ever made. The second track on it, which is sung by his son Jesse, is a great “modern pop” song.

Comment

Thanks for that overview, BoogieWithTheHook. I'm one of those people who never got Johnny Clegg and Juluka or Savuka. I'll give his music another try.
                                He had quite a life, didn't he?
                                After reading what you wrote, I'm much more interested in knowing about him, even if I still don't care for the music. So I have 2 quite different sets of homework!

Comment

Working...
                                X