Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please advise me - flogging my collection

Eh up everyone -

Time has come to sell my records, I think. I'm not getting any enjoyment out of them any more and they're taking up too much room.

Quick bit of background - iirc the first LP I bought was way, way back in 1978 (Black and White by The Stranglers). Since then I've pieced together a good few thousand albums, and a fair few singles as well. Back in the mid '90s when you couldn't give vinyl away I used to comb charity shops and the few remaining independent shops and took advantage of such mad bargains as 5 classical LPs for a quid.

Consequently I've got vinyl everywhere. It really is an invasive species if left unchecked. But I never play records any more. And all these albums and singles are starting to feel weirdly oppressive. I just want rid. But what's the best way to do it?

I contemplated just doing it a few at a time on eBay, but that seems like it would take forever. So then I thought about calling in a local bod from one of the shops in Beverley or York, but I'm worried I'd only get a fraction of their value.

Being realistic, I suppose I've just got to bite the proverbial bullet and see if a local shop would be interested - and take the hit. Any advice would be much appreciated.

gumtree , in small , up to 100. job lots , collect only, no fees

Comment

How many records are we talking about and how quickly do you want to get rid of them?

There's no magic formula, alas. The more effort you put into selling the records, the more of their potential value you'll realise. The quickest approach is probably divide and conquer: split the collection into what you reckon is worth something and the also rans. Work out the value of the former and, if selling in bulk to a local shop or dealer, expect/hope to get about a third (but probably not much more) of the current average value on discogs. The more items you include in this research, the longer it will take, of course but the more it will yield. If you've got a small number of really expensive items, consider selling them yourself on ebay or discogs but remember the more you cherry pick, the less attractive the overall collection.

You can also try selling in the real world, carboots in the Spring for the cheapos, and a local record fair for more collectable items. While either can be a pain the the arse, depending on your dispostion, selling at a good-sized record fair would put you in touch with dealers who might make you an offer for the collection, especially as they can thumb through what you have on the day. I've also found that subdividing your stock into genres helps sell more records.

PS. You began in 1978? Then I strongly recommend making a list of all your punk & new wave singles 1978-82 and sending it to me

Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Originally posted by Milesago View Post

PS. You began in 1978? Then I strongly recommend making a list of all your punk & new wave singles 1978-82 and sending it to me
        oi no! I pm'd him first!

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Originally posted by trevor machine View Post
          I contemplated just doing it a few at a time on eBay, but that seems like it would take forever. So then I thought about calling in a local bod from one of the shops in Beverley or York, but I'm worried I'd only get a fraction of their value.
          Simon at Minster Records in Beverley is genuinely good bloke and, in my experience, very fair when buying. If you're stuck he'd definitely be worth contacting.

If I ever end up like U2 slit my throat with a garden vegetable

Comment

Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post

oi no! I pm'd him first!
            I should think you'd be far too busy hoovering up flexidiscs promoting hair tonic or body odour camoflaging products, or recordings of school children murdering instruments, or get-fit or learn to disco dance LPs by forgotten minor celebs of the 70s, or teach yourself Inuit multi-single boxsets,or the collected speeches of the Shah of Iran on 78rpm in leather bound gold leaf presentation sets to have time to even think about worrying about dreary old run of the mill punk records HG?
            (ignore HG's email Trevor, he's not a real person, he's an AI project designed to test the credulity of record collectors).
            Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

I should think you'd be far too busy hoovering up flexidiscs promoting hair tonic or body odour camoflaging products, or recordings of school children murdering instruments, or get-fit or learn to disco dance LPs by forgotten minor celebs of the 70s, or teach yourself Inuit multi-single boxsets,or the collected speeches of the Shah of Iran on 78rpm in leather bound gold leaf presentation sets to have time to even think about worrying about dreary old run of the mill punk records HG?
              (ignore HG's email Trevor, he's not a real person, he's an AI project designed to test the credulity of record collectors).

Comment

Haha.

Comment

erm, yeah sorry about that... BUT SOMEONE HAS TO!!
                  The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Originally posted by batfink View Post

Simon at Minster Records in Beverley is genuinely good bloke and, in my experience, very fair when buying. If you're stuck he'd definitely be worth contacting.
                    Brilliant - this is the kind of thing I wanted to hear.

I've been battling a raging bout of the flu all week and so apologise for not acknowledging the replies in this thread. Still not over it yet, either.

Comment

A particular vendor here will take expensive things on consignment. He gets a set %. You get good in-store exposure for your item and the benefit of access to his extensive local and international contacts. Worth seeing if such a deal is available there, if you have something that might be in demand.

Comment

How many records are we talking about and how quickly do you want to get rid of them?

There's no magic formula, alas. The more effort you put into selling the records, the more of their potential value you'll realise. The quickest approach is probably divide and conquer: split the collection into what you reckon is worth something and the also rans. Work out the value of the former and, if selling in bulk to a local shop or dealer, expect/hope to get about a third (but probably not much more) of the current average value on discogs. The more items you include in this research, the longer it will take, of course but the more it will yield. If you've got a small number of really expensive items, consider selling them yourself on ebay or discogs but remember the more you cherry pick, the less attractive the overall collection.

You can also try selling in the real world, carboots in the Spring for the cheapos, and a local record fair for more collectable items. While either can be a pain the the arse, depending on your dispostion, selling at a good-sized record fair would put you in touch with dealers who might make you an offer for the collection, especially as they can thumb through what you have on the day. I've also found that subdividing your stock into genres helps sell more records.

Number of records - I'd guess best part of 5k albums (could be more), and 2k singles. There's a big swatch of Guided by Voices (including 1995's Box), Sebadoh, Husker Du, Dinosaur Jnr and similar. There's a fair amount of classic punk. I also went through a big phase of OSTs. Also a good few hundred classic '70s rock and metal and into the '80s. There's industrial, chart and stuff in between. Oh and a large cache of classical, as stated previously.

In any case, your advice seems spot on and I'm really greatful for it.

This might be an act of rash impetuosity that I'll come to regret - but I swear, I've barely been playing any records for about the past five years or more. Think it's time for them to find new homes.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Lounge Cowboy View Post
                          A particular vendor here will take expensive things on consignment. He gets a set %. You get good in-store exposure for your item and the benefit of access to his extensive local and international contacts. Worth seeing if such a deal is available there, if you have something that might be in demand.
                          That sounds useful. I do have a few krautrock things that could fetch something - a cosmic jokers with leary on, for one.

Comment

Working...
                          X