Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discogs - Shipping from Canada

Just me mithering.

Ordered an LP (one LP, in a gatefold sleeve) on Discogs from a Canadian seller. On his Discogs page, his shipping for one LP to UK is $18. Which is fair enough, but I still have to factor in the likely knock on the door and demand for as much as £20 customs charges.

Woke up to an invoice asking for $33 shipping 'due to the weight of the item'.

So, are they coating records with lead in Canada now, or is this just some fucknut who's decided to jack up the fees to get himself a bit more profit?
    ​​​​
    Either way, I'm minded to tell him to shite.

Jet Boy stole my baby.

Sounds like he's taking the Michael. I've just been charged $33 for shipping for 3 heavyweight (180g) records from the US to UK. And that was priority shipping too, arrived in about 4 days!

Comment

canada shipping is more expensive than the US, always has been

Comment

Originally posted by reza View Post
        canada shipping is more expensive than the US, always has been
        That's true. The few times I've had anything from Canada it's gone by sea in order to keep the cost reasonable, and has taken about 6 weeks to arrive- always did arrive, though.
        "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Check the rates yourself:
          https://www.canadapost.ca
          Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Yeah, I'm aware that Canada's postage costs have always been a wee bit steep. I was more pointing out the disparity between what's set out on the chap's Discogs page, versus what he's trying to charge me.

My suspicion is that I've ordered an item that he'd only listed that same day and he's wondering whether he's undervalued it and is thus using the jacked up shipping costs to claw a bit back.

I did a trial run on the Canada Post site last night and came up with $20 for a 1kg parcel. And there's no single LP that's coming in at over a kilo.

Hey ho. It's a rum game this record collecting lark.
            Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

$20 is that tracked/signed for , its $24 from the US for 1 lp ?

Edit just tried on milesago's link , I entered 30x30cm 0.8kg and the first says $20 surface but if you scroll down air is $40

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/a...execution=e1s4

Comment

...and that doesnt include tracking.
                All the Wolpertingers

Comment

you probably realise already but you can cancel the order with no comeback in Discogs if the price is different to any stated seller terms.

might be worth just asking him what method he is using? Tried a few different weights and it was still the $21 something price even for a heavy LP package

Comment

Yes it appears it should be about $20 for surface mail (for 33x33x3 cm and 1kg), or $40 airmail, so this in betweeny $33 doesnt make sense.
                    Even 2kg works out at $29.

Either he's attempting to claw back an undervaluation as you suggest,or perhaps he calculated all the fees (discogs, paypal) and added that to the proper shipping fee.

If you really want the record, maybe just ask him to explain.
                    Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

I think the only people that have ever given a small postage refund after sending a record (without me asking mind) have been Canadian.
                      The price will probably be correct - airmail with a tracking number.

Comment

Posting to/from Canada has been unreliable for me in my few experiences. My daughter lived there for a couple of years, one parcel took a loooong time to get there, one never arrived. Only ever bought one thing from there - aCD - and that never arrived.

Comment

Thanks all for your input.

I decided to message the seller and cancel.

In the small(ish) print, there is a caveat that some gatefold albums and deep groove vinyl will count as 2 LPs due to their excess weight.

Must be some fookin' heavy cardboard that they use on LPs in Canada. I'd best take care when taking my own gatefold LPs off the racks in case I get a hernia.

Cheers!

B
                          Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Benicio Del Toffo View Post
                            In the small(ish) print, there is a caveat that some gatefold albums and deep groove vinyl will count as 2 LPs due to their excess weight.
                            I have that problem with UK post - a well packed gatefold LP often tips over into the next weight category for international post (750g). I got fed up with losing money on it so started charging gatefolds as two LPs for international orders.

Comment

I just bought a tape (now very retro) from a Canadian seller and was quoted two prices as my options - $11 for standard international or $42 tracked/priority. For a TAPE!! Needless to say I chose the $11 option and will happily wait until about late March for it to arrive (if my previous Canadian tape purchase is any measure to go by). All of which reminds me I really need to get around to buying a new tape deck....

Comment

Working...
                              X