Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The old record 'switcheroo' scam - anyone had this experience or can offer advice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The old record 'switcheroo' scam - anyone had this experience or can offer advice?

Buyer wants to return a rare record as he claims it's a 're-issue' and not the original. Pretty sure I know what I'm going to get back in the post, ie not the item I sold.

Anyone had this problem and successfully countered it? Or pointers in the right direction would be gratefully received (couldn't find anything)

ask him for photos that show its a reissue and not an original , matrix label cover whatever , then if you can tell thats not what you sent at least you can have a dispute before he possibly files a claim and if he does you can forward that conversation to paypal

I dont know what else to suggest , hope it works out for you

Comment

Normally the matrix marks and information on the label prove its an original pressing. You could get a ultra violet pen and make a mark in the matrix which you can check if the record is returned as a repress.
      eat chocolate-creams with the appetite of a blase parrot. H H Munro.

Comment

I take photos of the items before I send them, but even that isn't conclusive proof. That's a fucking hard one.
        "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Do a search on the Discogs Forums and see if anything there is helpful :
          I saw a few which were similar to your case, including:
          https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/409180

Hope it turns out well for you. Keep us posted!

Comment

Might be worth locking down who you sell to in the future as well ...
            And also ask Discogs staff what they can recommend ...

Comment

I bluffed having made hidden markings on the record and that I would make a full refund once everything is in order. Discogs doesn't offer any support on the matter sadly.
              All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Thanks all. I've not got it back yet so possibly I'm just being paranoid, but his attitude to it being a 're-issue', as he claims, is very relaxed taking into account his odd and demanding behaviour beforehand.

We'll see. I like the hidden marks idea, pretty much impossible to prove either way.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
                  Normally the matrix marks and information on the label prove its an original pressing. You could get a ultra violet pen and make a mark in the matrix which you can check if the record is returned as a repress.
                  Unfortunately, non-existence of something is not proof. The existence may be, but you'd have to have access to the guy's records.

Comment

Sadly, neither Discogs or Paypal will be of any assistance in this matter. Last year I had a toerag claim that a record I sent him was trashed. Fine, I said, return it for refund or exchange (I had another spare). He refused saying that it was only a £12 record and it wasn't worth him returning it and I should refund him in full immediately. Only when he opened a Paypal claim did he realise that he had to return it to me.

When the post man arrived I could tell straightaway that it was an empty mailer. Despite me filming the postman opening the mailer and the postage sticker recording the weight of an empty mailer the toerag still claimed that 'it was in there when I sent it'. And Paypal refunded him.

So I'd recommend adding tudor65 to you list of blocked buyers. And if anyone is in the Cinderford area then please check if there's a VG+ copy of Ghost Dance - Gathering Dust in the racks at Ceritech Audio. Or avoid the store generally. Or place some orders from them (they're on eBay and Discogs) and do what ever feels right.

WF

PS. I now UV mark things I've sold. It doesn't hold any weight with Paypal/eBay/Discogs but occasionally it does spook a scammer

Comment

Yes, PayPal refunded him without argument. I did say that I'd marked the item I'd sold with a unique UV mark but PP showed no interest. Arse.

Comment

so you agreed to a return in the paypal claim and have it back , so what did he return , or did you just dispute the claim and not get anything back

Comment

He returned the later issue / bootleg, whereas I sold the original. As far as PayPal are concerned he returned 'something' so case closed.

Comment

dont know what to say , total conman thief , sorry mate at least if it was through discogs you can leave some feedback just have to be careful what language you use so he can't just get it removed

Comment

meh. feel free to PM or post the user name so I can put him on my blocked users list.
                              All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Working...
                              X