Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The old record 'switcheroo' scam - anyone had this experience or can offer advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turboellis
    replied
    Originally posted by vinylism View Post
    He returned the later issue / bootleg, whereas I sold the original. As far as PayPal are concerned he returned 'something' so case closed.
    That's fucking disgusting. It's only a very short matter of time before it happens to another person, and it's probably happening on a regular basis. These guys know they can game the system. I've got a few records I'd like to sell on Discogs, or elsewhere but where's the guarantee that the same thing won't happen? There's no guarantee. It's a broken system, and probably a business opportunity if someone could work out how to monetize it.

I think Milesago has given some good advice, which I'll certainly consider.

What kind of business habitually sides with half its customers against the other half?

This has got to get fixed.
    Last edited by Turboellis; 03-03-2019, 09:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Great Day
    replied
    Well that just sucks. Personally I'd call Paypal UK about this - 0800 358 7911. I've heard that they are actually really good on the phone.
    I'd be willing to bet that this twat has done this quite a lot as well.
    I've heard of someone a while back who got a refund from them after a closed dispute for a returned electronic item that had valuable parts removed. I think he had to fax a declaration to them in the end? Very weird. I know this link is not for the exact issue, but it was along these lines.

You can tell him that you've been advised to contact the fraud department @ paypal. It would probably freak him out.
    You could also inform him that you feel obligated to make sure no one else is scammed by him by posting his full details on every record forum you can find.

Leave a comment:

• Milesago
    replied
    Paypal are not a bank -- though they'd like you to think so.
    They're a front end on a credit card.

As I said, I would only take this course of action if the amount was significant and I was sure (and could demonstrate) fraud had been committed against me. Paypal habitually show no interest in investigating fraud properly.

Leave a comment:

• reza
    replied
    paypal are a bank and like all banks will pursue a debt , they have your name and address and will send you a repayment bill in the post which if you dont pay you'll end up with your credit rating blacklisted forever everywhere , what your saying is that you'd commit fraud against a bank to get away from a debt

Leave a comment:

• Milesago
    replied
    Only if you've authorized Paypal to access your bank account, which i wouldn't recommend.
    Paypal will use your account balance to fund the refund, and essentially suspend your account until you've transferred sufficient funds to cover any shortfall.

I never leave a balance of more than about 40 quid for this reason. Worst case scenario, if the amount involved was large enough and i was 100% sure of fraud, i would abandon the account and create a new one. I haven't put it to the test but I'm willing to bet this is possible with a new credit card number.

Leave a comment:

• reza
    replied
    Originally posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Does PayPal rob your funds for the refund, or do they just pay him out of their petty cash?
    your funds/bank account

Leave a comment:

• moecurlythanu
    replied
    Does PayPal rob your funds for the refund, or do they just pay him out of their petty cash?

Leave a comment:

• Willy-Fogg
    replied
    Originally posted by Cacapo View Post
    meh. feel free to PM or post the user name so I can put him on my blocked users list.
    I'd echo this.

And to remind - tudor65 is one to add to your list.

WF

Leave a comment:

• Cacapo
    replied
    meh. feel free to PM or post the user name so I can put him on my blocked users list.

Leave a comment:

• reza
    replied
    dont know what to say , total conman thief , sorry mate at least if it was through discogs you can leave some feedback just have to be careful what language you use so he can't just get it removed

Leave a comment:

• vinylism
    replied
    He returned the later issue / bootleg, whereas I sold the original. As far as PayPal are concerned he returned 'something' so case closed.

Leave a comment:

• reza
    replied
    so you agreed to a return in the paypal claim and have it back , so what did he return , or did you just dispute the claim and not get anything back

Leave a comment:

• vinylism
    replied
    Yes, PayPal refunded him without argument. I did say that I'd marked the item I'd sold with a unique UV mark but PP showed no interest. Arse.

Leave a comment:

• Willy-Fogg
    replied
    Sadly, neither Discogs or Paypal will be of any assistance in this matter. Last year I had a toerag claim that a record I sent him was trashed. Fine, I said, return it for refund or exchange (I had another spare). He refused saying that it was only a £12 record and it wasn't worth him returning it and I should refund him in full immediately. Only when he opened a Paypal claim did he realise that he had to return it to me.

When the post man arrived I could tell straightaway that it was an empty mailer. Despite me filming the postman opening the mailer and the postage sticker recording the weight of an empty mailer the toerag still claimed that 'it was in there when I sent it'. And Paypal refunded him.

So I'd recommend adding tudor65 to you list of blocked buyers. And if anyone is in the Cinderford area then please check if there's a VG+ copy of Ghost Dance - Gathering Dust in the racks at Ceritech Audio. Or avoid the store generally. Or place some orders from them (they're on eBay and Discogs) and do what ever feels right.

WF

PS. I now UV mark things I've sold. It doesn't hold any weight with Paypal/eBay/Discogs but occasionally it does spook a scammer

Leave a comment:

• Turboellis
    replied
    Originally posted by Duncan View Post
    Normally the matrix marks and information on the label prove its an original pressing. You could get a ultra violet pen and make a mark in the matrix which you can check if the record is returned as a repress.
    Unfortunately, non-existence of something is not proof. The existence may be, but you'd have to have access to the guy's records.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X