Stylus / needle question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stylus / needle question

I have a Ferguson 3454 record player , BSR Turntable 4 speed (standard early 70s fare I think) acquired for nothing primarily to play 78s. It has 2 needles, one marked SR and the other GDD2SR (I think). Any idea which one is for 78s? I have used GDD2SR but now realise I don't know why I made that decision.

Originally posted by candiman View Post
    I have a Ferguson 3454 record player , BSR Turntable 4 speed (standard early 70s fare I think) acquired for nothing primarily to play 78s. It has 2 needles, one marked SR and the other GDD2SR (I think). Any idea which one is for 78s? I have used GDD2SR but now realise I don't know why I made that decision.
    From memory - SR stands for something like "standard record" - so for an LP or 45, so the other needle must be for the 78s?

Comment

This is a Sonotone ceramic cartridge, probably a 2509. The stylus you have is a GDD2 but seems to have two tips for vinyl, not shellac. You want the one which clearly has '78' on one side. You can easily find them online for under a tenner e.g. here but I have a supply of them if you need one.

Before buying one, however, maybe you could check the reference label on the inner side of the cartridge, to see if it really is a 2509 or similar as that stylus may not be the ideal one. Someone may have fitted whatever replacement they came across.
      "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

Comment

Originally posted by eclectiktronik View Post
        This is a Sonotone ceramic cartridge, probably a 2509. The stylus you have is a GDD2 but seems to have two tips for vinyl, not shellac. You want the one which clearly has '78' on one side. You can easily find them online for under a tenner e.g. here but I have a supply of them if you need one.

Before buying one, however, maybe you could check the reference label on the inner side of the cartridge, to see if it really is a 2509 or similar as that stylus may not be the ideal one. Someone may have fitted whatever replacement they came across.
        Thanks for the info. The cartridge is labelled Sonotone 3509. I would be using this turntable to play 45s and 78s so would like to get the correct stylus. Would be happy to get one from you if you have the right one.

Comment

If it is a 3509 (as I suspected in a player like this) then the GDD2 is not the correct stylus.
          I will see if I have the correct one (BDS, KS40, KS41b or equivalent)
          "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

Comment

Sorry for the delay candiman, PM me if you are still after a stylus

Comment

Working...
            X