Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discogs buyer requests delivery in person. Any caveats?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discogs buyer requests delivery in person. Any caveats?

A Discogs buyer has requested delivery in person.
    Anything I should be wary of?
    I'm planning to ask the buyer to sign a delivery received doc & maybe take a photo.
    I know, I know ... but I am

Paranoid Turbo
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

If I don't want people comig to Cacapo towers I suggest a meeting spot somewhere in town sometimes just at the corner cafe or whatever seems reasonable. Makes sense for more expensive records.
    All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Originally posted by Cacapo View Post
      If I don't want people comig to Cacapo towers I suggest a meeting spot somewhere in town sometimes just at the corner cafe or whatever seems reasonable. Makes sense for more expensive records.
      Oh definitely, I don't want anyone seeing my irreplaceable Liberace white label collection.

Comment

Had a similar predicament a month or so ago. Buyer was local so I could have dropped it off. He obs didn't know that I was 2 miles away.
        Decided to courier it instead because of the 'no tracking number' issue after reading too many stories like this.

I'd ask for cash on collection. Without a tracking number, the buyer could claim back 4 months later that it never arrived. Signed bit of paper or not.

Comment

A simple 'no' should suffice if you don't want to. You're the seller so he has to buy it on your terms.
          "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

I once sold a record to a guy across the street from me. I would have passed his adress on the way to the post office so I just rang the bell and that was that.
            All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Originally posted by Great Day View Post
              Had a similar predicament a month or so ago. Buyer was local so I could have dropped it off. He obs didn't know that I was 2 miles away.
              Decided to courier it instead because of the 'no tracking number' issue after reading too many stories like this.

I'd ask for cash on collection. Without a tracking number, the buyer could claim back 4 months later that it never arrived. Signed bit of paper or not.
              Thanks Great Day. It looks like it's a bit of a PITA but I'd have to:
              - Be paid in cash
              - ask the buyer to sign a delivery received doc &
              - maybe take a photo.

Comment

A few years ago I found some stuff on Discogs to knock off my wants list, it was only after ordering that I realised the seller was in Nottingham, only 10 or so miles from me. I asked and then met him in a pub one evening to do the deal and we've remained friends ever since. He'll pop round to mine and look through any unsold stuff I have been donated for the charity I support and when we meet he always has a bag of relevant goodies for me to look at. On the other hand, I sold a record to a lad with low feedback who lived about a mile from my son. As I was going down that weekend I offered to leave the record there for him to pick up. He declined and paid £5 worth of postage. No brainer for me - pay more money or meet a potential contact/friend/serial killer...

Comment

Originally posted by Turboellis View Post

Thanks Great Day. It looks like it's a bit of a PITA but I'd have to:
                  - Be paid in cash
                  - ask the buyer to sign a delivery received doc &
                  - maybe take a photo.
                  I've sold quite a few things for pick up. I've never made a friend as per Harvey Mettle, but I always insist on cash in such situations. I often agree to cancel the order on Discogs too. You don't need to get the buyer to sign anything, Turbo, nor take any photos. As long as the deal is done in cash they have no recourse to you aside from feedback.
                  Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

As a buyer I usually avoid meeting the seller unless of course I happen to know the seller - rare but it happens. The way I see it meeting a stranger even in public space is a risk I wouldn't want to take.
                    Everything in Greece is arpa kolla

Comment

I've delivered a few things and had people collect from home or work, either with cash or Paypal first, but never anything expensive. Hadn't considered the scam angle, would have to get cash in that situation, I guess. I use Freecycle and Gumtree a lot for getting rid of random things, so often have people round on the doorstep for that.

Just sold a handbag on ebay for someone - the buyer collected it, and turns out they only live 2 streets away from the owner, so it travelled further to get to me to be listed than it would have just to be sold...

Comment

Thanks eine, Aggie & bongolia for the input. I've now seen that the guy only has 2 bits of feedback and both are bad. However I've said I'll do it now, so I'll do it under my conditions: cash only and if he's not where we agreed to meet within 15 minutes I may not wait any longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey Mettle View Post
                          A few years ago I found some stuff on Discogs to knock off my wants list, it was only after ordering that I realised the seller was in Nottingham, only 10 or so miles from me. I asked and then met him in a pub one evening to do the deal and we've remained friends ever since. He'll pop round to mine and look through any unsold stuff I have been donated for the charity I support and when we meet he always has a bag of relevant goodies for me to look at. On the other hand, I sold a record to a lad with low feedback who lived about a mile from my son. As I was going down that weekend I offered to leave the record there for him to pick up. He declined and paid £5 worth of postage. No brainer for me - pay more money or meet a potential contact/friend/serial killer...
                          I always try to think the best of people until I know otherwise.

Comment

Yo Turbo! How did it go?
                            All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Hasn't happened yet. I'll report back when it has. Could be interesting as the guy has interviewed Masahiko Sato for a documentary.

Comment

Working...
                              X