Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The scary move to a single turntable

Been a while, afternoon all.

Trying to sort out my somewhat chaotic life as I creak on and I'm thinking the double Technics thing may have had its day for me. Not sure I'll be selling one or both, but at least if I just use one my lounge will feel less like a teenager's bedroom.

So. If I have one sad and lonely turntable, it seems like a 1210 is still a good choice? It does look a bit 'banging' with a slip matt but I could live with that and it sounds good. I could sell both and buy something else but when I've dabbled with Pro-jects and the like, the sound is so clean it makes old 45's sound hideous. Also considered a nice restored Thorens or something, if I can bring myself to sell both 1210s.

Also, I have a decent amp with phone stage so should I scrap the mixer? It's fairly discreet and does help when recording but I guess unnecessary.

Any advice, therapy, anecdotes appreciated.

If you stick a decent cart/stylus on your 1210 it'll sound much better/cleaner and if your playing a lot of 45's I'd recommend keeping one of them
    Saying that I've got a "restored Thorens" which is lovely
    Mind you 400 quid will buy you a nice Thorens so you can go back to having two albeit different ones and make the final decision later lol

Comment

Haha I'm trying to reduce! I did notice this the other day...not sure how much they would be.

https://www.whathifi.com/news/thoren...rntable-design

Comment

I've had A TD160 Super for the last 20 years and it's served me well. Looks nice, never had a problem with it, and sounds fine to me. You might want to consider something that's semi automatic though, which is what I did when I bought another TT for a different room last year. It's pretty handy not having to leap up to lift the tonearm at the end of a side. Maybe you haven't reached that age yet! I have also got a Q-Up for the Thorens which does the same job but is pricey for what it is. It was a present and it's made my life a lot easier if I'm blasting a record from the record room while I'm next door in the kitchen making the tea.

Just noticed that new Thorens has an auto lift function.
        "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
          I've had A TD160 Super for the last 20 years and it's served me well. Looks nice, never had a problem with it, and sounds fine to me. You might want to consider something that's semi automatic though, which is what I did when I bought another TT for a different room last year. It's pretty handy not having to leap up to lift the tonearm at the end of a side. Maybe you haven't reached that age yet! I have also got a Q-Up for the Thorens which does the same job but is pricey for what it is. It was a present and it's made my life a lot easier if I'm blasting a record from the record room while I'm next door in the kitchen making the tea.

Just noticed that new Thorens has an auto lift function.
          Oh I'm probably beyond that age! Good suggestion I think. Cheers.

Comment

Working...
          X