No announcement yet.

Your favourite sample/loop of all time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your favourite sample/loop of all time?

Mine is quite possibly the vibes sample/loop on this:

Hadn't heard it in an age and then today it came on the headphones off one of my old mixtapes and I started grinning from ear to ear. The sample is taken from "don't put me on" this:

So, what are yours? Your own sample/loops are excluded from this exercise...
    Last edited by SirSlim; 04-05-2019, 09:23 AM. Reason: To add a picture of the Lp that can be seen!

we can't see what it is! - you can't remote link Discogs images

i love that sample though, whatever it is!

Comment

Might be this. Great question btw!

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
        we can't see what it is! - you can't remote link Discogs images

i love that sample though, whatever it is!
        Whoops!

OK - let's see if this one works:

Comment

On the count of three

All the Wolpertingers

Comment

wow, always assumed the Red Astaire sample was Cal Tjader or someone, would never have guessed it was on Avenue!

The Charmels is a great one, also always loved the Wendy Rene sample on "Tearz".

Never been a huge fan of Illmatic, but "Represent" is great, and I love the Thief of Baghdad sample:

(54 seconds in)

Last edited by bongolia; 06-05-2019, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Because it's a big hit with Mrs SK I'm going to say the big chunk of Pentangle on this

I also liked the sample of, what sounded to me like the bass intro from 'Another Night' by Dionne Warwick that was used on Pizzicato 5's 'Twiggy Twiggy'.

"You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Still probably my favourite.

Vardy.....¬°¬°¬°PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Wow - that Charmells track is fabulous - and the way it's been sampled/looped is excellent - but like a lot of hip hop for me - the rap kind of spoils it.

Have always wondered where the "twiggy twiggy" bass line comes from - thanks SK.

Oh and Cacapo - I know the Rene Costy tune - but give me a hint as to the best sample/loop then? *awaits a deluge of answers*

Comment

Originally posted by SirSlim View Post
                    Wow - that Charmells track is fabulous - and the way it's been sampled/looped is excellent .
                    the looping is deceptively simple on that - some of the loops actually start on the 2nd beat of the bar in the original

but like a lot of hip hop for me - the rap kind of spoils it

there's loads of good instrumental stuff up on youtube nowadays - search for beat tapes and you can lose yourself for hours with J Dilla, 9th Wonder, etc

Oh and Cacapo - I know the Rene Costy tune - but give me a hint as to the best sample/loop then? *awaits a deluge of answers*
                    has been sampled a few times, but I think Cacapo was thinking of this Dilla track:

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post

the looping is deceptively simple on that - some of the loops actually start on the 2nd beat of the bar in the original

there's loads of good instrumental stuff up on youtube nowadays - search for beat tapes and you can lose yourself for hours with J Dilla, 9th Wonder, etc

has been sampled a few times, but I think Cacapo was thinking of this Dilla track:

Dilla has never quite hit the spot for me before - but maybe time to revisit? I do like some instrumental hip hop - Madlib for example - this one is a favourite beat/loop/sample of his:

Comment

If it was these drums that Future Sound of London half-inched for Papua New Guinea, then this one I guess:
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7doq5HouVQ
                        "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

"White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Another one of mine is the main sample on this epic Gentle People remix by Aphex Twin:

But until yesterday when this arrived, I had no idea what it was from:

https://www.discogs.com/Henry-Mancin...elease/4300437

blue mantilla - henry mancini

Now I just need someone to point me towards the great string sample(s) please...

Comment

The Shadows - Apache

Comment

Working...
                              X