• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bongolia
    replied
    Originally posted by richwax View Post
    The Shadows - Apache
    do you mean the Incredible Bongo Band?

speaking of which, this is a good bit of beat juggling of that (give it a few seconds to get going):

Leave a comment:

• richwax
    replied
    The Shadows - Apache

Leave a comment:

• SirSlim
    replied
    Another one of mine is the main sample on this epic Gentle People remix by Aphex Twin:

But until yesterday when this arrived, I had no idea what it was from:

https://www.discogs.com/Henry-Mancin...elease/4300437

blue mantilla - henry mancini

Now I just need someone to point me towards the great string sample(s) please...

Leave a comment:

• Turboellis
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Turboellis
    replied
    If it was these drums that Future Sound of London half-inched for Papua New Guinea, then this one I guess:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7doq5HouVQ

Leave a comment:

• SirSlim
    replied
    Originally posted by bongolia View Post

the looping is deceptively simple on that - some of the loops actually start on the 2nd beat of the bar in the original

there's loads of good instrumental stuff up on youtube nowadays - search for beat tapes and you can lose yourself for hours with J Dilla, 9th Wonder, etc

has been sampled a few times, but I think Cacapo was thinking of this Dilla track:

Dilla has never quite hit the spot for me before - but maybe time to revisit? I do like some instrumental hip hop - Madlib for example - this one is a favourite beat/loop/sample of his:

Leave a comment:

• bongolia
    replied
    Originally posted by SirSlim View Post
    Wow - that Charmells track is fabulous - and the way it's been sampled/looped is excellent .
    the looping is deceptively simple on that - some of the loops actually start on the 2nd beat of the bar in the original

but like a lot of hip hop for me - the rap kind of spoils it

there's loads of good instrumental stuff up on youtube nowadays - search for beat tapes and you can lose yourself for hours with J Dilla, 9th Wonder, etc

Oh and Cacapo - I know the Rene Costy tune - but give me a hint as to the best sample/loop then? *awaits a deluge of answers*
    has been sampled a few times, but I think Cacapo was thinking of this Dilla track:

Leave a comment:

• SirSlim
    replied
    Wow - that Charmells track is fabulous - and the way it's been sampled/looped is excellent - but like a lot of hip hop for me - the rap kind of spoils it.

Have always wondered where the "twiggy twiggy" bass line comes from - thanks SK.

Oh and Cacapo - I know the Rene Costy tune - but give me a hint as to the best sample/loop then? *awaits a deluge of answers*

Leave a comment:

• babycart
    replied
    Still probably my favourite.

Leave a comment:

• Shere Khan
    replied
    Because it's a big hit with Mrs SK I'm going to say the big chunk of Pentangle on this

I also liked the sample of, what sounded to me like the bass intro from 'Another Night' by Dionne Warwick that was used on Pizzicato 5's 'Twiggy Twiggy'.

Leave a comment:

• bongolia
    replied
    wow, always assumed the Red Astaire sample was Cal Tjader or someone, would never have guessed it was on Avenue!

The Charmels is a great one, also always loved the Wendy Rene sample on "Tearz".

Never been a huge fan of Illmatic, but "Represent" is great, and I love the Thief of Baghdad sample:

(54 seconds in)

Last edited by bongolia; 06-05-2019, 06:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Cacapo
    replied
    On the count of three

Leave a comment:

• SirSlim
    replied
    Originally posted by bongolia View Post
    we can't see what it is! - you can't remote link Discogs images

i love that sample though, whatever it is!
    Whoops!

OK - let's see if this one works:

Leave a comment:

• Great Day
    replied
    Might be this. Great question btw!

Leave a comment:

• bongolia
    replied
    we can't see what it is! - you can't remote link Discogs images

i love that sample though, whatever it is!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X