Hip Hop 86 - 95

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hip Hop 86 - 95

the hip hop era 88 - 95 was my early teen years.
    i loved it, couldn't get enough of it. Starting with the first Beastie boys album in 1986 and then Run DMC, Which lead to Public Enemy and De La Soul, and buying Hip hop connection.
    learning about Digital Underground, N.W.A, then on to Cypress Hill, Funkdoobiest, then it all changed with the Chronic, doggystyle. and then i started listening to Grunge and didn't really bother with Hip Hop after that.

i must be missing some solid albums between 1986 and 1995. what classics should i be checking out?

a few favs
    Digital Underground - Sex Packets
    Eazy E - Eazy Duz it
    Ice - Cube - The Predator
    Beastie Boys - Pauls Boutique
    Funkdoobiest - which doobie u b
    Cypress Hill - Black Sunday
    Dr Dre - The Chronic
    Snoop - Doggy style

actually, it looks like i like hip hop with Pfunk samples
    instagram.com/vinylhoard

Main Source's 'Breaking Atoms' is a doozy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej6rRpK4uoY

Both the KMD albums are great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ-cPnn2C-o

Comment

KMD.. Id totally forgotten about them. i had the first album. ill check them out now.
      instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

'Black Bastards' has been reissued on Doom's own label.

There's quite a few versions.

The 2CD reissue has a lot of extras. This for one.

Comment

Pharcyde - Bizzare Ride II The Pharcyde

Wu Tang - Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)

Gang Starr - Daily Operation

Souls Of Mischief - '93 Til Infinity

Gang Starr - Step In The Arena

Both Digable Planets albums were well made. The 2nd (Blowout Comb) got a bit overlooked I think.
          The vinyl seemed to knacker up quite fast due to the cardboard inner sleeves.

Pete Rock & CL Smooth - The Main Ingredient

Black Sheep - A Wolf In Sheep's Clothing

EPMD - Strictly Business

OK last edit. A while ago I started to check out cassette only releases. There's loads that you would
          never have heard about without the internet. I started to wonder if this was a recent fake [made to look old n lofi],
          but I found timestamped references to it on the internet from the mid to late 90's. He still performs btw.

Last edited by Great Day; 01-06-2019, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Master ace : Take a look around ,1990

Solid throughout, seems to be a bit underrated, got a mint copy of this this and 70 other lps back from a chazza in Alaska $1 each last month.

Comment

ace, thanks. loads to check out.
              instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

I would recommend the Ego Trip Book Of Rap Lists - published in 1999 and still in print by the looks of it. An authorative and amusing guide to eighties and nineties hip hop with some fantastic charts of best albums, and records by year.

Comment

I still go back to Loc-ed After Dark - pre-gangsta, but with all the best sleazy funk samples - Easin' In, Son of Slave, North East South West etc. Plus the Donald Byrd cover.

I dug out Naughty By Nature's first a few weeks ago and had fun with that, too.

Brand Nubian - All For One, Jeru's first, Lakim Shabazz - there's loads and loads and I wasn't even buying that much hip hop.
                  Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Pretty much everything by kane, rakim, krs/bdp, public enemy, NWA, ice Cube, King tee, cmw/mc eiht, too short, geto boys, 2 live crew, jungle brothers, Tribe, de la, gang starr, Pete Rock & cl, Pharcyde, organized konfusion, main source/large pro, ditc/Diamond d/showbiz & ag/lord Finesse, MC Lyte, audio 2,positive k, ultramagnetic MCs, krown rulers, Schooly d, 3 x D, steady b.. ............ And you don't stop ......... ..

Comment

Hijack - the horns of Jericho

Comment

Perhaps it's something to do with the political climate, but I am going back to It takes a nation of millions, Fear of a black planet and Apocalypse 91. Nothing sounds as urgent, alive and even hopeful as 'Can't Truss It' right now. I don't really want smoothness or funk, I want it angry and relentless and full.

Not to divert from Paul's question, but based on this has anyone got any hip-hop recommendations for me? Contemporary and past.
                        Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by eine View Post
                          Perhaps it's something to do with the political climate, but I am going back to It takes a nation of millions, Fear of a black planet and Apocalypse 91. Nothing sounds as urgent, alive and even hopeful as 'Can't Truss It' right now. I don't really want smoothness or funk, I want it angry and relentless and full.

Not to divert from Paul's question, but based on this has anyone got any hip-hop recommendations for me? Contemporary and past.
                          MMG - 2 black 2 strong
                          X-clan
                          Live squad
                          Hostyle (1988)
                          Screwball
                          Freddie Foxxx/Bumpy Knuckles
                          double x posse
                          tim dog

Comment

can we stretch to '96? that was a great year too, (although these are mostly nothing like the sound Paul likes...)
                            Xzibit - At The Speed Of Life
                            Heltah Skeltah - Nocturnal
                            Mobb Deep - Hell On Earth
                            Redman - Muddy Waters
                            Dr Octagon
                            Cella Dwellas - Realms 'n' Reality
                            Kwest the Madd Lad - This Is My First Album
                            Sadat X - Wild Cowboys
                            Brotherhood - Elementalz

Comment

Originally posted by Nizbit View Post
                              Master ace : Take a look around ,1990

Solid throughout, seems to be a bit underrated, got a mint copy of this this and 70 other lps back from a chazza in Alaska $1 each last month.
                              he's pretty underrated all round I think. the concept album "Disposable Arts" (from 2001 i think?) is great. Not sure I'm keen on the west coast album he made ("Sittin' On Chrome") but may fit the bill for some

Comment

Working...
                              X