No announcement yet.

Visually mint, sonically not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have now cleaned the records that caused my initial post and they are ok now. I am lazy when it comes to cleaning. If they don't look like they are in desperate need of a clean I will tend to dive straight in and play them. In this case the records were mostly 70s UK singles that were, I am sure, mint and quite conceivably unplayed. They had high gloss and no sign of marks, film, or anything in the grooves. I had a Brian Protheroe album like this a few years ago. Looked mint but when I played it all sorts of crud appeared on the stylus and the surface as the needle was presumaby carving out deep rooted and previously invisible crud. After a clean that one was perfect. That is very unusual in my experience; most records I play without an initial clean that look ok (but not perfect) play without problems.

Comment

Originally posted by candiman View Post
      I am lazy when it comes to cleaning.
      I have to admit - I never bother with cleaning records - life is too short.

I let the diamond (the hardest material known to man) stylus do the job...

Comment

I like to have a bit of a run with the Knosti. With the supplied cleaner it did leave some sort of residue which built up on your needle but like most people I just make my own now and that's fine. As Turbo says, you can also do plenty with a finger so there's not a lot of rocket science here. I do often wonder about those sonic cleaners, or whatever they are; are any better. They'd need to be a whole lot better for the extra money.
        "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by SirSlim View Post

I have to admit - I never bother with cleaning records - life is too short.

I let the diamond (the hardest material known to man) stylus do the job...
          I never used to, but when you have a crackly record, a bit of cleaning can improve the sound dramatically. I've had some amazing results, so I continue.

Your kilometerage may vary.

"White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Working...
          X