No announcement yet.

Precautions for selling rare LPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't stress so much about selling a 60£ record. More expensive records are being sold every day. And I buy and sell outside of Discogs very often (you can get or give a 10% discount ....) .... Never had a problem with that.

But like has been mentioned before, you have to have a good feeling. The list of records he has for sale and his feedback are a very good indication. You know, if it's a record collector just like you, he's less inclined to rip people off. I'm a record collector myself, and I don't rip people off. Communication is the key ...

Anyway, you'll be fine

Comment

The few issues I've experienced selling records on eBay haven't been with expensive ones, funnily enough. More often a few non-arrivals in Italy, and quibbles over condition, and they've generally been under £20 items. Worst issue I had recently as a buyer was when a Caravan LP arrived broken in pieces. Probably because the seller had packaged it in bubble wrap and pretty much nothing else. Unbelievable

Comment

Rather than 'signed for' which the Royal Mail offer refunds of up to £50 for, you could consider Special Delivery Guaranteed for really pricey stuff:
        https://www.royalmail.com/personal/u...ecial-delivery
        The Downstairs Lounge
        http://downstairslounge.wordpress.com/
        http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/

Comment

I pretty much agree with all that's been said here. A lot of very useful info based on experience & not guesswork or supposition. Mescal, perhaps I'm being over paranoid, but I'd rather take as many of the problems out of the equation as possible.

Thanks for the info about Royal Mail Agnes_Guano , but I live in Japan. It's not the postal services I worry about (I only send tracked & signed for), rather the 1 or 2 scumbags who say that you've sent the wrong item etc ...

Mactheruss, even in Japan, I had a double LP sent to me without inner sleeves, i.e. records just directly inside the sleeve! That really made me stamp my little feet.
          "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

If you're properly paranoid about someone swapping an original for a re-issue, you could mark the record you're sending with a UV pen. Just a tiny mark somewhere on the label... not sure I'd be too worried about selling £50 records. Although I'm sure people do concoct scams on cheap records because they know that no seller really wants to have to refund postage on a £5 record, otherwise you're immediately £6 down on the postage - so you're better just telling them to keep it.
            Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

I'm really not sure how this helps. I don't know a police force in any country who would react favourably to being asked to go & confirm a UV pen mark.

On the cheaper records, yes, I agree. It's easy to scam a seller on a cheap record in that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Turboellis View Post
                I'm really not sure how this helps. I don't know a police force in any country who would react favourably to being asked to go & confirm a UV pen mark.

On the cheaper records, yes, I agree. It's easy to scam a seller on a cheap record in that way.
                I do this and it does help occasionally because sometimes it spooks the scammers. Admittedly I only do it with computer games that I sell on eBay, but it has been effective a couple of times.

WF

Comment

Ha ha, some people are easily spooked. You could always put a personalized scratch on every record you sold (in the runout), but I doubt that would go down well at all.

Comment

Working...
                  X