Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turboellis
    replied
    Ha ha, some people are easily spooked. You could always put a personalized scratch on every record you sold (in the runout), but I doubt that would go down well at all.

Leave a comment:

• Willy-Fogg
    replied
    Originally posted by Turboellis View Post
    I'm really not sure how this helps. I don't know a police force in any country who would react favourably to being asked to go & confirm a UV pen mark.

On the cheaper records, yes, I agree. It's easy to scam a seller on a cheap record in that way.
    I do this and it does help occasionally because sometimes it spooks the scammers. Admittedly I only do it with computer games that I sell on eBay, but it has been effective a couple of times.

WF

Leave a comment:

• Turboellis
    replied
    I'm really not sure how this helps. I don't know a police force in any country who would react favourably to being asked to go & confirm a UV pen mark.

On the cheaper records, yes, I agree. It's easy to scam a seller on a cheap record in that way.

Leave a comment:

• The Divine One
    replied
    If you're properly paranoid about someone swapping an original for a re-issue, you could mark the record you're sending with a UV pen. Just a tiny mark somewhere on the label... not sure I'd be too worried about selling £50 records. Although I'm sure people do concoct scams on cheap records because they know that no seller really wants to have to refund postage on a £5 record, otherwise you're immediately £6 down on the postage - so you're better just telling them to keep it.

Leave a comment:

• Turboellis
    replied
    I pretty much agree with all that's been said here. A lot of very useful info based on experience & not guesswork or supposition. Mescal, perhaps I'm being over paranoid, but I'd rather take as many of the problems out of the equation as possible.

Thanks for the info about Royal Mail Agnes_Guano , but I live in Japan. It's not the postal services I worry about (I only send tracked & signed for), rather the 1 or 2 scumbags who say that you've sent the wrong item etc ...

Mactheruss, even in Japan, I had a double LP sent to me without inner sleeves, i.e. records just directly inside the sleeve! That really made me stamp my little feet.

Leave a comment:

• Agnes_Guano
    replied
    Rather than 'signed for' which the Royal Mail offer refunds of up to £50 for, you could consider Special Delivery Guaranteed for really pricey stuff:
    https://www.royalmail.com/personal/u...ecial-delivery

Leave a comment:

• Mactheruss
    replied
    The few issues I've experienced selling records on eBay haven't been with expensive ones, funnily enough. More often a few non-arrivals in Italy, and quibbles over condition, and they've generally been under £20 items. Worst issue I had recently as a buyer was when a Caravan LP arrived broken in pieces. Probably because the seller had packaged it in bubble wrap and pretty much nothing else. Unbelievable

Leave a comment:

• Mescal
    replied
    I wouldn't stress so much about selling a 60£ record. More expensive records are being sold every day. And I buy and sell outside of Discogs very often (you can get or give a 10% discount ....) .... Never had a problem with that.

But like has been mentioned before, you have to have a good feeling. The list of records he has for sale and his feedback are a very good indication. You know, if it's a record collector just like you, he's less inclined to rip people off. I'm a record collector myself, and I don't rip people off. Communication is the key ...

Anyway, you'll be fine

Leave a comment:

• bongolia
    replied
    Originally posted by Great Day View Post
    I suppose you might want to think about listing your heavy hitters right now, before the EU stuff in a months time kicks in.
    i.e. import duty/customs might slow down the sale of the record to potential European buyers.
    most other countries are less stingy on the level that duty or VAT is applied though. the UK is particularly low at GBP 15
    will hit UK buyers (and EU sellers) more than EU buyers...

Leave a comment:

• Great Day
    replied
    Honestly, I think you'll be ok. Generally not had any issues with people on discogs.

On the rare occasion that someone wants to collect to save on shipping, it must be cash on collection.
    If you don't have a tracking number, Paypal will automatically refund the buyer if there is an issue.

I suppose you might want to think about listing your heavy hitters right now, before the EU stuff in a months time kicks in.
    i.e. import duty/customs might slow down the sale of the record to potential European buyers.

Obvious stuff like packing the record outside of the outer sleeve is always a good idea to avoid rips. Together in a plastic outer if you can.
    Basically, minimize the chance of it being returned for any reason.

Leave a comment:

• Cacapo
    replied
    Usually a few messages to the buyer can help resolve any questions. Tell him up front why you are afraid of being hosed and see how that goes. Communication is key and not everyone is out to to get you.

If it's 500 or up I'd even consider making a phone call of sorts.

Leave a comment:

• Milesago
    replied
    Originally posted by reza View Post
    The problem with friends and family is if it genuinely doesn't arrive or arrives damaged and your not totally mercenary and you wish to preserve your reputation you cant claim with the postal company as you cant prove the value having no official documentation so if its to a friend or perhaps regular buyer and you feel in fairness you'd like to refund them you've had it

sellers who offer me F&F if "I want it at that price" I let them know I'll pay the fees (to cover myself) and send payment normally
    I don't see it in the same negative light you do. I don't think it has anything to do with being mercenary. It's about risk assessment and being upfront about the consequences of friends+family payments to the buyer. In 30+ years of selling records through the mail, I've only had a handful of packages genuinely go missing. Over the years I've learned enough to judge when to allow friends & family payment, and when to insist on tracking. If I'm sending an LP to Germany or Scandanavia or Japan -- or someone I know -- I'm happy to accept 'normal' paypal payment without tracking, meaning I accept all risk for loss or damage. For other destinations, I may have to insist on tracking -- or, if the buyer agrees, offer the friends+family option.

Leave a comment:

• reza
    replied
    The problem with friends and family is if it genuinely doesn't arrive or arrives damaged and your not totally mercenary and you wish to preserve your reputation you cant claim with the postal company as you cant prove the value having no official documentation so if its to a friend or perhaps regular buyer and you feel in fairness you'd like to refund them you've had it

sellers who offer me F&F if "I want it at that price" I let them know I'll pay the fees (to cover myself) and send payment normally

Leave a comment:

• Milesago
    replied
    BTW, regarding using bank transfer for payment within discogs, this works very well within certain countries inside the euro zone, but less well in others. Its supposed to be free to send payment between private (i.e. non business) accounts inside the euro zone, but banks in some countries (e.g. Greece, Italy) manage to introduce a charge for what they still insist on calling a "service", despite EU law. Or thats what people in those countries have told me. However, I admit to having limited understanding of the banking system. It's a strange world where seemingly nonsensical ideas like "negative interest" have meaning -- it's mind blowing. Outside the euro zone, you're bound to run into currency conversion charges at the very least, so ask your bank about it before offering buyers this option.

Leave a comment:

• Milesago
    replied
    Originally posted by bongolia View Post

hmm, good point, I could do with a re-read of the terms. Maybe it would be ok for the seller, as long as they mark "Payment received" in Discogs? but generally this kind of thing is a red flag...
    If the buyer uses the friends & family option to send you payment, then he has no comeback within Paypal. There is no claims procedure he can follow. I allow this with buyers who do not want to pay for registered shipping (AKA tracking). This tends to be for cheaper items, e.g. singles priced under a tenner, where tracking (which doubles the shipping cost) makes the overall cost very unattractive.

proof of postage needs to be to the PayPal address on the order else seller isn't covered.
    PayPal often sides with the buyer, so you are still theoretically at risk, but at least it covers against "it didn't arrive" claims if it was sent with tracked delivery.
    This is where my understanding of the rules may be out of date. A seller requesting delivery to an address other than (one of) his registered PayPal address(es) means he is also no longer protected and cannot file a claim anyway -- is this not correct?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X