Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice please: record centre hole too small

Folks
    Never had this before. A Roy Budd re-issue 7" whose centre hole is too small.
    Any advice on making the hole bigger without destroying it?
    Ta.
    Turbo
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

does your centre spindle turn? if so I normally just hold it on the spindle as it turns, pushing down gently (using both hands on edge and label) or turning back and forth until it goes on. Done that loads of times with no issue. (Same process in reverse to get it off again)

This is with a Technics SL1200 style TT, if you have something fancy or with a suspended platter I wouldn't try it.

Comment

I just take a penknife and gentle scrape away at the inside of the centre hole until its big enough, concentrating on any parts that look like they're uneven.
      Sometimes its just debris causing an obstruction. Sometimes its a misalignment of paper label and centre hole.
      Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Try a rat tail file. This should allow you to gently file the hole bigger.
        eat chocolate-creams with the appetite of a blase parrot. H H Munro.

Comment

I just use the sharpened end of a pencil, or a biro, pushed into the centre hole and wiggled around a bit. Turn the record around and repeat from the other side. This just pushes the sides out fractionally, rather than cutting. It doesn't take much to achieve a fit.
          OK: ready; let's do it ...

>>> Hobbies Of Today - RU12 EP: Unreleased South Yorkshire Post-Glam/Proto-Punk from 1977 <<<

Comment

Mrs Khan bought me a lethal stiletto knife when she went to Spain a few years back (I have no idea why) and this is the first thing I reach for with a tight centre hole. You generally only have to trim the merest sliver for the record to drop on nicely.
            "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by e3sa934 View Post
              I just use the sharpened end of a pencil, or a biro, pushed into the centre hole and wiggled around a bit. Turn the record around and repeat from the other side. This just pushes the sides out fractionally, rather than cutting. It doesn't take much to achieve a fit.
              I do this, too.
              Mrs Khan bought me a lethal stiletto knife when she went to Spain a few years back (I have no idea why)
              If you watch the 1962 film Los Tarantos you'll get plenty of ideas how to use your stiletto. It's basically stabbing and clapping from start to finish.

Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Thanks for all the advice.

@bongolia: My centre spindle does turn ... don't they all?
                I pushed it down with more force than I ought to have & thought I was going to snap it getting it off again. My frilly knickers were in a right old twist.
                I don't think I want to try that again. The hole was definitely made too small.

@Milesago: I might give that a try, if I can find a penknife. We may have something else that will do the job well.

@Duncan: Rat tail files are illegal in Japan. No, they're not. I just don't have one.

@e3sa934: Will give that a try too. No dice.

Thanks also Shere Khan & babycart

Well, what do you know. A closed pair of scissors did the job.

Tomorrow, I'll go down the docks and try to procure myself a stiletto or perhaps a miniature samurai letter opening sword.

I am obviously completely unprepared for life in this country.

Turbo, deep in the heart of Osaka

Comment

Originally posted by Turboellis View Post

I am obviously completely unprepared for life in this country.

Comment

Originally posted by SirSlim View Post
                    Hey, stop filming me without my permission!

Comment

Dremel with a soft cylindrical attachment on mandrel.

Comment

Originally posted by richwax View Post
                        I thought you had made that up, then I googled it. I think I'll stick to the rotating scissors of death method ...

Comment

Originally posted by richwax View Post
                          Great psyche band name right there...

Comment

Wiggling around a suitable size screwdriver usually does the trick for me.
                            It's also handy if the centre hole on your record is a bit too small

Comment

Originally posted by Mactheruss View Post
                              Wiggling around a suitable size screwdriver usually does the trick for me.
                              It's also handy if the centre hole on your record is a bit too small

I did exactly the same joke once about surgical alcohol on a record cleaning thread.
                              Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X