Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Selling on behalf on somebody (slightly RR)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling on behalf on somebody (slightly RR)

Looking for a bit of advice..... A work colleague of mine has come into a large amount of DJ kit. Turntables (2xTechnics 1210's), CD players, amps, etc. as well as several large boxes of 45s (mostly 90s indie, nothing especially rare on first glance). He has no interest in music and asked me to help him sell everything on, which I don't mind doing, but I've no idea what a sensible commission rate would be.

Has anybody any experience of doing similar? What did you charge?
    http://peachfuzzforest.blogspot.com
    www.the-onyx.co.uk
    www.kernowbeat.co.uk

can you do it as a favour and not take any money? other than fees if sold on ebay etc
    instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

I did consider that, but I know for certain he would take commission if it was the other way around and probably charge a lot more than I will end up doing so!! There's quite a bit of kit to shift and its been sat since the late 90s so likely I'm going to have to spend some time getting everything up and running again.
      www.the-onyx.co.uk
      www.kernowbeat.co.uk

Comment

I would do nothing.

It's just a lot of hassle. Let him work it out for himself.

Or if he's asking you to do it, he should offer the commission. Like: 'if you sell this shit for me, I'll give you half'.

Comment

offer him a price for the lot and then its yours to sell, far easier , much less agg

Comment

I think that may be best way forward tbh
            www.the-onyx.co.uk
            www.kernowbeat.co.uk

Comment

and fwiw old mkII 1210s seem to have dropped in price lately , I now see pairs for 450 online quite often

Comment

Comission deals are a logistic nightmare, especially for collections. You'll have to keep track of every tenner you make in every little deal that happens. what if you decide to keep a few? Do you have to pay your mate half for that?
                All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Sadly, with the exception of the Technics turntables there is unlikely to be much value in the other kit. Especially if it has been standing. Things like mixer pots and faders will need a dose of switch cleaner and thorough testing to bring back to reliable working condition (and who wants to gig with unreliable kit). Same goes for amps to a lesser extent. This sort of thing can be found used for little money on ebay or cash converters. Usualyl there's more supply than demand for it too. Looking there will give you an idea of value. If he just wants to get shut, and you do't mind selling the stuff individually later, I would offer him a fixed price for the lot, basically buy the 1200s with the rest thrown in.

Bear in mind these days most the young uns seem to DJ with mp3s and traktor type software. They probably would not look twice at older gear.
                  "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

Comment

Thanks, I had a little look around and see that some of the kit does sell, but probably not a price worth making all the effort for. I'm catching up with him properly next week or so, so I think I'll do what you and others suggest and offer a price for the Technics and anything thrown in is a bonus.
                    www.the-onyx.co.uk
                    www.kernowbeat.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                    X