Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Afro Rock on KPM - Different pressings

Hello you all

it's been a long, long time since I last posted here, but I keep lurking now and then. Well, no other place seems more appropriated for me to post this question.

I don't own the Afro Rock KPM original pressing (i have the original record cover though... long story), but I do own the 2007 Tummy Touch edition which was remastered at The Exchange, a place I know very well.

The latest pressing is on Be With and lists the Simon Francis studio as the mastering facility and states in the cover that the master was done from the original tapes.

My question is: has anybody compared these represses to the original one?

thank you all in advance for the possible help you might give me. I am writing a piece that tries to ellaborate on this current trend of reissues and want to use this as a case study.

cheers

It seems as though you'd be better off picking a case study for which you have the OG and the reissue.
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Originally posted by Turboellis View Post
      It seems as though you'd be better off picking a case study for which you have the OG and the reissue.
      thank you so much for your kind help, sir...

Comment

At least I bothered to reply ... my reward ... a delicious bucket of sarcasm ... yum

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	cart_before_the_horse.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	307.9 KB
ID:	1052848
          Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

I have been reading this forum for years and I don't think my question was out of place and I do keep reading people's similar questions regarding reissues and their pressings. It was the members choice to give this "uninitiated" the silent treatment. What you perceived as sarcasm was really just a bit of disapointment. Anyway, living and learning.

Comment

There wasn't anything out of place with your request, Digga. I wouldn't read much into folks not posting though. Traffic has definitely dipped here in the last five years.
              Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by Digga View Post
                I have been reading this forum for years and I don't think my question was out of place and I do keep reading people's similar questions regarding reissues and their pressings. It was the members choice to give this "uninitiated" the silent treatment. What you perceived as sarcasm was really just a bit of disapointment. Anyway, living and learning.
                My reply was really intended to be helpful, on the basis that a record that you own both the OG and the re-issue of, and hence can compare directly, is going to be much easier to write your article on. Why do the article on something you don't have direct access to? I don't get it.

Comment

Your reply was fine as replies go, Turbo. 'Helpful' is a strong word to describe it though ...

Digga was asking specifically about whether anyone has an OG of that issue of Afro Rock. I am sure Digga is fully aware that he wouldn't need to post here in the first place if he did, or indeed had selected a case study where he had both OG and reissue.

Anyways, it hardly matters. I've pretty much always found that reissues of rare LPs that never sold much in the first place hardly every sound as good, unless there's explicit mention of a remaster or original tapes. There was a period (2012–2017?) when it seemed like quality of any pressing was often shocking. I think it's got better now, but that's just a perception.
                  Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

I have compared the Tummy Touch issue to an original pressing and I seem to remember coming to the conclusion that the original had marginally better sound. If I remember correctly the Tummy Touch is punchier but the original had a slightly deeper more well rounded edge to it.
                    Cheese Please Louise!!!

http://www.facebook.com/diagonalband
                    http://baron.bandcamp.com/
                    http://autumnchorus.bandcamp.com/

Comment

Hey Turboellis: so you don't get why I should write about something I don't have direct access to? So many layers on this assumption I don't even know where to begin: i own a couple of hundred of KPM originals. In fact, i even own the cover to the Afro Rock orginal pressing but not the vinyl, unfortunately. I was just looking for a bit of insight before interviewing Simon Francis, the mastering engineer who cut the acetate for the reissue. It's called being a journalist and asking questions is one of our main things. And, you know, when a journalist does not have direct access to something he can always rely on sources. Obviously you think differently. As I said, no biggie. the thing is done anyway...

Comment

Hey Turboellis: so you don't get why I should write about something I don't have direct access to? So many layers on this assumption I don't even know where to begin: i own a couple of hundred of KPM originals. In fact, i even own the cover to the Afro Rock orginal pressing but not the vinyl, unfortunately. I was just looking for a bit of insight before interviewing Simon Francis, the mastering engineer who cut the acetate for the reissue. It's called being a journalist and asking questions is one of our main things. And, you know, when a journalist does not have direct access to something he can always rely on sources. Obviously you think differently. As I said, no biggie. the thing is done anyway...
                        I'd be interested to read the feature if it appears online - ta!
                        Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

The reason I asked was because I didn't have all the information that you finally revealed. It was sincerely and innocently asked because I was genuinely curious. Sorry I stepped on your journalist toes.

Comment

Working...
                          X