Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much damage does stylus skating across the label do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much damage does stylus skating across the label do?

How much damage does stylus skating across the label do?

Whenever this happens, I wonder how much damage it has done, and if I need to replace my stylus.

On my Audio Technica, it happens once or twice a year ...

Turbo
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Well, it won't do it much good, but provided you do not leave it there for more than a few seconds I very much doubt the wear would be of significance. Although the paper is abrasive, we are talking about a diamond after all. I would be more concerned at the cantilever getting bent.
    "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

Comment

That's the annoying thing about a player that doesn't take the stylus off automatically. So you're saying that the diamond is hard enough to prevent damage, I guess.
      Does it occur because the record has been poorly pressed? (Wish I could remember which LP it was now ...)

Comment

Originally posted by Turboellis View Post
        That's the annoying thing about a player that doesn't take the stylus off automatically. So you're saying that the diamond is hard enough to prevent damage, I guess.
        Does it occur because the record has been poorly pressed? (Wish I could remember which LP it was now ...)
        In my case it'll usually occur because it's a Jamaican 45 on which the label-what there is of it- has been applied completely off-centre, resulting in the label becoming part of the run-out groove.
        Last edited by Shere Khan; 29-12-2019, 12:29 PM.
        "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Yes, I can see how that would lead to stylus label excavation. I often only play records once or twice while ripping them, so I can't quite remember which LP it happened on recently. I must check the label placing next time it happens.

Comment

Working...
          X