Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you feel about keeping an LP with a single unfixable jump on it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you feel about keeping an LP with a single unfixable jump on it?

So you buy a 2nd hand LP that looks clean, but turns out to have an unfixable jump on it.

Do you return it or keep it?

Does it bug you so much you can't sleep?

For me it kind of ruins the listening experience. I can handle pops of other noise, but when the needle jumps in the same place every time, that's where I draw the line.

If it's an LP I might find again, I'll return it, if not I might not.

What do you think?

What would John Peel do?
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

I never used to care about this sort of thing but for some reason nowadays it can completely ruin a record for me and just seeing a record I know has a skip on it, while looking through them to find something, makes me wince and can ruin my day.

on the flip side, if a record has a skip and I manage to somehow remove that skip, I feel like I‘ve accomplished some magnificent feat and am filled with pride and self adulation.

Comment

It depends what track it's on.

A couple of years ago I spent days working on a Scandinavian record with a jump on the best track. I eventually turned a jump into a sort of muffled thud that didn't jump and was just about tolerable, then realised I didn't like the track that much anyway.
      Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

I still can't listen to Walk On the Wild Side because of a jump on a copy of Transformer which I endured for about 5 years as a teen.

"Holly came from...Holly came from...Holly came from...."

Comment

I probably wouldn't ever play it if I new it was about to jump so It would go back if it could. I'm not freaky about condition, depending on the record. I just bought a record I'd heard on JRs swap CD which was described as G+, but it didn't jump.
          "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Dealbreaker.
            https://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Comment

Depends really on how much I want the record and how rare it is. I have quite a few kicking about like that - just upgraded one which had a scratch over the best track so chuffed with that. What I'm finding just now is going back to listen to things I haven't listened to in forever and finding there are scratches which must have been there when I got them but I'd forgotten. The bugger is that one of them is on an increasing in value punk LP so who knows when I'll get around to replacing that one. I don't mind so much when it is on a weird private press and a track I don't particularly like though, would still file them so long as the good track is fine as often I don't know when I'll come across another.

Comment

The Oz baroque jazz thing I picked up last year was reduced because of two scratches.

As it happens the scratches barely sound.

But elsewhere, on the best track, there is - argh! argh! argh! - a small but stubborn chunk of stuff.

What to do?

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Lounge Cowboy View Post
                  The Oz baroque jazz thing I picked up last year was reduced because of two scratches.

As it happens the scratches barely sound.

But elsewhere, on the best track, there is - argh! argh! argh! - a small but stubborn chunk of stuff.

What to do?
                  Tried the wooden toothpick trick?

Comment

Originally posted by J.R View Post
                    on the flip side, if a record has a skip and I manage to somehow remove that skip, I feel like I‘ve accomplished some magnificent feat and am filled with pride and self adulation.
                    Oh yes, that is superbly satisfying ... I have a pair of magnifying glasses (maybe 30x or 50x) for examining grooves ... that will be my final step on my current fix it or take it back project.

Comment

I tried it with a chopstick, which is what I had to hand. I didn’t try very hard.

Might be a while before I try again as almost all my vinyl is elsewhere and probably will be for several months.

Comment

Originally posted by Turboellis View Post

What would John Peel do?
                        He would have played it at the wrong speed.

Comment

Backwards
                          North of the River Cole

Comment

Working...
                          X